Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting my Garden

Options
  • 05-02-2018 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks
    I have a very large back garden with separate access to the back..
    I wanted to split this and apply for planning for a new dwelling..

Any ideas who my first port of call would be ? Do i need to engage with a solicitor for fees etc ??

Is it just a case of going to the land registry pulling my folio ?? Kcc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Have a consultation with a local architect and go from there, He will advise what to do and how to do it. To ask on here without a vision of what you’re trying to achieve makes it impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I'd recommend calling the planning department of the county council first to see if potential planning permission could be granted in that location (back land development). If it is likely to be a complex application then consider a planning consultant in addition to an architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sort out the planning situation first. If there's no chance of getting planning permission for this development, you can save yourself a lot of money by establishing that early on. So talk to an architect or planning consultant. It's not just a question of whether the subdivision of your property will be permitted; there may also be issues about, e.g. a minimum size for the subdivided property, shaping or locating the subdivided property so that it can have an entrance that complies with planning requirements, you can build a house on it that complies with building bye-laws, etc.

If it does go ahead, however, then at some point you will also need a solicitor, to divide up your property into two separate properties with separate titles that can be owned, transferred, etc separately.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MotorMike wrote: »
    Have a consultation with a local architect and go from there, He will advise what to do and how to do it. To ask on here without a vision of what you’re trying to achieve makes it impossible
    Surely, architects know as much about planning as planners do about designing houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

If you look at the county development plan you’ll get a good idea of what might be possible. After that a call to the planning section would answer any further queries. An email would be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

kbannon wrote: »
    Surely, architects know as much about planning as planners do about designing houses!

As it happens I live with an architect.
    They have to conform to planning laws everyday so I’d be fairy certain they’d have an idea of what they’re on about .

Advertisement