Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get qualified to teach ICT?

Options
  • 05-02-2018 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys, so I’m nearing the end of 6th year and I filled in my Cao.
    I plan on becoming a leaving cert chemistry and physics teacher through BScEd in Maynooth. My career guidance teacher told me anything I study in 1st year, I can teach up to Junior Cert level.

I’ve also been told my 2 subjects will make it easier for me to get a permanent teaching position in a school but I’d prefer to further the chances by getting educated in ICT and Technology. The only problem is, I’m not sure how to do that. Is there any way I can do computer training during my undergraduate degree, or would I have to go back after I graduate to do a part time diploma/certificate?

Also, can someone confirm whether or not I can teach a junior cert subject after one year? It seems a bit unlikely but I’d love some confirmation.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Your career guidance teacher is wrong. You cannot teach something after one year of study up to junior cycle.

With regard ICT, anyone can teach it currently. It is non exam and principals will give it to those with an interest. However, the new computer science course would require someone with a decent background. I doubt many computer science graduates will become teachers so it may be the one subject that those with an interest will teach. A higher diploma in software development would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FlashAllen

Oh really? �� how would I go about teaching a subject up to 3rd year in secondary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

FlashAllen wrote: »
    Oh really? �� how would I go about teaching a subject up to 3rd year in secondary school?

There is no such thing. You are either fully qualified or you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FlashAllen

But my old tech graph teacher taught construction and DCG at leaving cert level but also taught metalwork for Junior cert. and my current Spanish teacher can teach first year geography. They said they’re fully qualified in ther respective subjects but can only teach metalwork/geography to a certain level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

if you did a physics degree then potentially you could teach JC science. Although I'm sure the teaching council might have changed this so that you had to have done say other non-physics sciences/modules in your degree to teach JC science.
    Also probably arises in JC business (having done an accountancy degree or somesuch). So teach accountancy to LC and Business to JC.

Also a school can put you into any subject class if there's no teacher available (once you're qualified/registered to teach in another subject). The old 'needs of the school' manoeuvre.

Be very clear about the requirements before embarking on a degree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

But my old tech graph teacher taught construction and DCG at leaving cert level but also taught metalwork for Junior cert. and my current Spanish teacher can teach first year geography. They said they’re fully qualified in ther respective subjects but can only teach metalwork/geography to a certain level

There's no such thing as being half qualified. Some principals will allow a teacher teach 1st year Geography with one year of college, but they shouldn't. I taught history long before I did my history degree. Principals can do what they like. You shouldn't be relying on getting such a principal for a job. Get qualified in two subjects and then when you're in a job you can see what else is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Yeah no there's no way you can just be qualified for geography for only first year (or only junior cert for that matter)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Do you have a "calling" to teach? Have you asked the part time non permanent teachers about the struggles of a new teacher? Think twice young man.

Advertisement