Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We won the lotto (RTE 1)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

This is BS. RTÉ saving the lottery’s blushes on the syndicate who tried to buy every combination.

The real story is that they screwed up and did a special draw for the bank holiday weekend and guaranteed £100 for every 4 number prize.

The typical prize at the time was under £20 for four numbers.

As a result it was a mathematical certainty to make a big profit if you bought every ticket that weekend.

Disgracefully, Ray Bates who headed the lottery kept his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Found it disgusting that they had to put Dolores McNamara in it. She didn't win the 'lotto' she won euromillions. When will the scumbag media just leave her alone?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Would be interesting to hear from this guy, see if he has made his fortune from gaming lotteries, I suspect not.

He was one of the Scruffy Murphys syndicate. I might be wrong but I think they had another win a few years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Found it disgusting that they had to put Dolores McNamara in it. She didn't win the 'lotto' she won euromillions. When will the scumbag media just leave her alone?

She is the most famous lotto winners in Ireland and it is her story that the public is most interested in. That's why Rte cover her in the programme. Her friends who spoke on the show was their own choice to do so and I'm sure she gave them her approval. Bit OTT calling them scumbag media over a documentary which only told the facts of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I thought it was a good to have her in it. She got mostly good advise (except eddie hobbs) and had very good people with her from the start.

Id love to to win the lotto plus. Would clear your mortgage but you would still have to work so you would be kept grounded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

From the few minutes we saw last night, the Romanian guy Seems to have invested wisely. Must be remembered that you will get a lot more bang for your buck over there than here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Far more positive spin on the program last night. Good to see people with sensible aspirations and can manage money with a view to creating a good life for their families.
    The Hume fella was very funny, some good stories. The 2 former advisors to Dolores were a skit as well. Talking about the Detroit property market like they had a clue. I could imagine them telling her to buy a few pubs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I thought the two programmes were interesting but I was shocked that 70% of winners were declared bankrupt within 20 years though it was only set up in 1994.

If I won €500k I don't think it would change me, though I'd go on more holidays and would love to split half of it between my 2 sons to have as large deposits on a house each for them. I'd invest most of the rest of it to have for my old age and that of my hubby's so we wouldn't have to worry about nursing care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

mjp wrote: »
    She is the most famous lotto winners in Ireland and it is her story that the public is most interested in. That's why Rte cover her in the programme. Her friends who spoke on the show was their own choice to do so and I'm sure she gave them her approval. Bit OTT calling them scumbag media over a documentary which only told the facts of the story.

The show is called 'We won the Lotto' and has people talking about winning the lotto, could you show me the footage of Dolores speaking please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

It's a TV show called "We Won the Lotto".. and you want them to leave out the most famous Lotto winner in the history of the state? It would have represented terrible journalism to leave her out. Your objection to it is nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement