Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax implications of renting my house

Options
  • 06-02-2018 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Can someone explain to me the tax implications of renting out my house? I am trying to decide between selling it or renting it out.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

depending on how much you earn you pay tax on the rental income at your higher rate of tax less deductible expenses.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/rental-income/irish-rental-income/how-do-you-declare-your-rental-income.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would you think of renting a room as you can earn €14k tax free....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's not just income tax you have to factor in, as soon as you start renting it out the capital gains tax clock starts ticking, that will affect any profits from a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's not just the tax implications. What will you do if the tenant stops paying rent and wrecks the place? Do you have a spare 10K to deal with that? Will you be in it long tem enough to recoup that loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Caranica wrote: »
    It's not just income tax you have to factor in, as soon as you start renting it out the capital gains tax clock starts ticking, that will affect any profits from a sale.

Capital gains tax only kicks in if you sell the house for more than you paid for it. The tax liability is on the profit you make. Or am I missing something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭goofy141

So if I have mortgage payments of €1300 and the rent is €1500, am I only paying tax on the extra €200 or on the entire amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

goofy141 wrote:
    So if I have mortgage payments of €1300 and the rent is €1500, am I only paying tax on the extra €200 or on the entire amount?

The entire amount, unless you still live there yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

goofy141 wrote: »

You need to know how much is capital and how much is interest repayments. 80% of interest repayments are written off against tax.

So Rent of €1500 = €18,000 PA
    Your tax is 18,000 @ 52% = 9,360
    9360 less expenses let's say €3,000 net tax liability (guess)

18,000 Less
    3,000 Tax
    15,600 Mortgage
    1,500 Expenses (not including mortgage interest)
    (2,100) Loss or about €200 a month you'll need to put in cash flow wise.
    Add Capital repayment on mortgage for net profit

You need to know how much is capital and how much is interest repayments. 80% of interest repayments are written off against tax.

So Rent of €1500 = €18,000 PA
    Your tax is 18,000 @ 52% = 9,360
    9360 less expenses let's say €3,000 net tax liability (guess)

18,000 Less
    3,000 Tax
    15,600 Mortgage
    1,500 Expenses (not including mortgage interest)
    (2,100) Loss or about €200 a month you'll need to put in cash flow wise.
    Add Capital repayment on mortgage for net profit

Really helpful thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

check out www.irishlandlord.com

Plenty of good info there too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dont rent out the whole house. Save yourself the potential hassle and only get licensees.

godtabh wrote: »
    Dont rent out the whole house. Save yourself the potential hassle and only get licensees.

Can you explain that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

goofy141 wrote: »
    Can you explain that?

Rent out room by room.
    you can earn 14k per year tax free, but you must be living in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

godtabh wrote: »

The RTB have deemed those kind of lettings to be tenancies.It is not that easy to get around the tenancy laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The RTB have deemed those kind of lettings to be tenancies.It is not that easy to get around the tenancy laws.

I don't think that's the case if the owner is living in the same property though. If s/he is, then as long as the rent from all rooms does not exceed the threshold for Rent a Room it's all good.

However I understand what you mean about a non resident (in the property) landlord letting the property out on a room by room basis.

Advertisement