Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V2X the new HiVis?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In three years, Google will become the largest supplier of driverless computer systems. All cars are upgraded with Google computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they drive with a perfect operational record. The Geenet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online August 4th, 2027. Human decisions are removed from people going to the shops. Geenet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The solution is to chuck a few humans into each car as spotters (of cyclists). Arm the humans too (that box is already ticked for many American cars, well done ye, wth your thinking ahead and your paranoia!) so that they can eliminate pesky cyclists at first sight.

Sure what else would the lazy feckers be doing in their self-driven cars anyway, at least this would give their trigger finger some exercise, and exercise is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's probably just that I often read the highly AV-sceptical eschatonblog.com, but I don't think these things are anywhere near road-ready yet, barring some shuttle-style applications.

Whats the difficulty they have detecting bikes? Surely they'd be the same as a pedestrian walking on your side or the road or a honda 50 in front of you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lumen wrote: »
    In three years, Google will become the largest supplier of driverless computer systems. All cars are upgraded with Google computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they drive with a perfect operational record. The Geenet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online August 4th, 2027. Human decisions are removed from people going to the shops. Geenet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug...

Ironically Google already knows what you are doing. Maps driving is already very good at sneakily identifying slow traffic spots, so I suspect that it already is capable of telling car drivers that you are about to hit the cyclist in front who has an android phone in their back pocket.

The future danger will be those still trying to get by with Siri and apple maps.

• Advertisement

Whats the difficulty they have detecting bikes? Surely they'd be the same as a pedestrian walking on your side or the road or a honda 50 in front of you :confused:

From what I recall from minimal reading on the topic. cyclists are close to the size of pedestrians but move faster. And they move move more freely in traffic (filtering, etc.) so can "pop up" when/where the car software doesn't expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I always thought that we should stick rf chips on our bikes and have trucks , busses etc got receivirs to pick them up.

Very little weight or cost added to bikes , highly affective solution

ted1 wrote: »
    I always thought that we should stick rf chips on our bikes and have trucks , busses etc got receivirs to pick them up.

Except for those bikes that don't have the chips installed, whose cyclists effectively become even more invisible than cyclists are to many at the moment. As per the article.

...and as per the thread title's reference to HiVis, the existing popular "solution" to cyclist safety.

doozerie wrote: »

Except for those bikes that don't have the chips installed, whose cyclists effectively become even more invisible than cyclists are to many at the moment. As per the article.

...and as per the thread title's reference to HiVis, the existing popular "solution" to cyclist safety.

I wouldn’t call it installed , id say applied , thryvate just stickers and very low cost meaning that there’s very little excuses not to have them.

Something like these

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1LX3FIVXXXXcnXVXXq6xXFXXXX/201538017/HTB1LX3FIVXXXXcnXVXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg

I wouldn’t call it installed , id say applied , thryvate just stickers and very low cost meaning that there’s very little excuses not to have them.

That's the same argument made for HiVis.

And my response is the same: I have an excuse not to have one, i don't want one.

I am still alive despite this dereliction of my civil duty. When I die though, whatever the cause, people can feel free to give out to me about it, I've always been a good listener and death can only make me a better one.

• Advertisement

doozerie wrote: »

That's the same argument made for HiVis.

And my response is the same: I have an excuse not to have one, i don't want one.

I am still alive despite this dereliction of my civil duty. When I die though, whatever the cause, people can feel free to give out to me about it, I've always been a good listener and death can only make me a better one.

There is a huge difference between the two. One is a little sticker that is applied to the bike and not visible.

The other is a ridiculous piece of clothing that according to the RSA gives you super powers.

I really can’t see any argument for nit applying a little sticker. But then again some people still think that the Earth is flat

I really can’t see any argument for nit applying a little sticker.

Well, if it leads to nit employment then how could I possibly argue against it. After all, if they all had jobs to go it it would help get them out of peoples' hair. You know, literally.
    ted1 wrote:
    But then again some people still think that the Earth is flat

Once the enlightened forced the Earth to wear hivis, its roundness was suddenly clear for all to see. The modern approach would work too, force it to wear RF chips so that you can figure where all of the parts of the Earth are at any time. You know, like hivis.

Advertisement