Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Africa" by Toto

• 06-02-2018 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭

Africa was #1 on the charts 35 years ago today, but that's not why it's been in the news recently. It's blown up as a meme on Reddit in particular, mostly in a positive way: my preferred explanation is simply that since it's so much better than the rubbish on the charts. The lyrics are super-cheesy and the subject of many spoofs and parodies, but it's stood the test of time.

According to David Paich in an interview here, it was the last thing they recorded for Toto IV, only required to fill out the album. The band all thought it was silly and told him "save it for your solo album". Steve Lukather said that he'd run down Hollywood Boulevard naked if it was a hit - but has since happily admitted he was wrong.

Me, I just fell in love with the sound. Toto always made excellent-sounding records, and this had that warm brassy synthesiser that sounds like nothing else (Yamaha CS80, the same synth Vangelis used for Blade Runner). Sure, it's not hip, not edgy, but the world would be a colder place without it, I believe. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I always heard ..' a hundred men on Mars could ever do'.

Turns out it's:

"There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

OMG thats so racist.

White man culturally appropriating a black mans drum, while White man relaxing while his black indentured servantwoman forced to work in miserable, dark, draughty, conditions, with suggested imminent nitty gritty, no doubt completely against her will to gratify her master. The video "celebrating" shes unable to afford a door, while more white men lurk in the shadows.

Im absolutely outraged, i cant believe i used to love that song on MTV USA back in the day , with Vincent Hanley blasting other hits, before i was woke to my white male privilige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Jeez, #1 35 years ago, wha? I feel old. My son who's 21 thinks it's the best song ever!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

OMG thats so racist.

White man culturally appropriating a black mans drum, while White man relaxing while his black indentured servantwoman forced to work in miserable, dark, draughty, conditions, with suggested imminent nitty gritty, no doubt completely against her will to gratify her master. The video "celebrating" shes unable to afford a door, while more white men lurk in the shadows.

Im absolutely outraged, i cant believe i used to love that song on MTV USA back in the day , with Vincent Hanley blasting other hits, before i was woke to my white male privilige.

You also forgot that there are more white keys on the piano in the video.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do do do dododo do

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

OMG thats so racist.

are you inventing alter egos to pour scorn on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Another version.

Love this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The Kilimanjaro/Serengeti line is an all time classic in terms of barely managing to crowbar a ludicrously portentous lyric into the melody of a pop song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The Trump version of it did make me laugh

toto-****hole-terrific-album-folks-found-in-our-official-group-30339882.png

Although ive been to many parts of Africa and some of it is quite stunning and beautiful.
    Great song though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It is probably my most favourite song of all time. I could never get tired listening to it, I have about 100 copies of it on my ipod (approx. 5000 songs on it) which is in the car and set on random play to be sure it plays somewhat regularly but thinking about it I haven't heard it play in weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There is definitely something unintentionally sibilant at the end of 'more' alright. That is the way I always heard it as a kid. :-)

Yes there is a little bit of cornball sure, but it's still a stunner 35 years later. Superb production and musicianship. I guess what stands in stark difference to the chaff on sale back then (not to mention today!) is the lack of template. It was different. It's not a composition by numbers. It remains different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Toto live in Vicar Street 4th/5th of April.

It is probably my most favourite song of all time. I could never get tired listening to it, I have about 100 copies of it on my ipod (approx. 5000 songs on it) which is in the car and set on random play to be sure it plays somewhat regularly but thinking about it I haven't heard it play in weeks.

Along with Hold The Line and Rosanna, it's a great triptych of 80s rock. Sad really that you don't get that consistent level of quality in chart music these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

stunmer wrote: »
    Another version.

Nice one, never saw that before. Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Did anyone hear their latest release? In my opinion it has taken Toto 35 years to re-write Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

This is also good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OMG thats so racist.

Vinnie Hanley presented MT USA not MTV USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Vinnie Hanley presented MT USA not MTV USA

My bad.
    Its been a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's one of those perfect songs that builds up to a Chorus and then pays off with its singalongability.

Do do do do do do do doooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Mike Masse does a great cover of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

... Im absolutely outraged, i cant believe i used to love that song on MTV USA back in the day , with Vincent Hanley blasting other hits, before i was woke to my white male privilige.
    The way Paich tells the story now, it was written from the point of view of a guy about to follow a girl to Africa, but he'd never been there and had only read about it. Knowing his luck, he landed somewhere like Johannesburg, a very long way from Kilimanjaro ...

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Love the tune. Still have the picture disc of the 45 :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Do do do dododo do

I can feel it, coming in the air tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

stunmer wrote: »

Great arrangement. (one of the lead trio look like he's....er....sweating from his left nostril.......)

I do like this cover. It's incredibly accurate for a one man studio cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nelson Van Alden

Steve lukather is an amazing guitarist. He's done a lot of session work, the guitar riff on 'Beat It' was the man himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Its a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Brought to my attention by Fernando Martinez 15 years ago. Thank you Fernando.

latest?cb=20161110140226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I can feel it, coming in the air tonight

Oh, Lord!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm going to see them in Vicar Street in April. Should be a great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Metal cover.

Loses some of the musicality in fairness, but chick on vocal is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Steve lukather is an amazing guitarist. He's done a lot of session work, the guitar riff on 'Beat It' was the man himself.

Eddie Van Halen did the guitar solo and amazingly did not charge a fee. Jeff Porcaro (RIP) played drums. Steve & Eddie are close friends a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

emeldc wrote: »
    Jeez, #1 35 years ago, wha? I feel old. My son who's 21 thinks it's the best song ever!

Reminds me of being in the car with my teenager and her mate a couple of years back. Rhythm Is A Dancer had been re-released earlier that year. Anyhoo, it came on the radio and, in true teenage fashion, my daughter's pal said "Uhh, this song is soooo old..." to which my daughter said "Yeah, like it's out since before the summer..."

Meanwhile I thought to myself: "Nope, it's out since 1992!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Sang along to that and Hold the Line with Bobby Kimball in Limerick a few years ago. Only about 50 people in the place. It was amazing and then met him for drinks afterwards. Bloody legend

razorblunt wrote: »
    It's one of those perfect songs that builds up to a Chorus and then pays off with its singalongability.

Do do do do do do do doooo

Don't you mean "De do do do, de da da da" by the police? :D

• Advertisement

Along with Hold The Line and Rosanna, it's a great triptych of 80s rock. Sad really that you don't get that consistent level of quality in chart music these days.

Dunno what came over me there..

harrye15pl7.6626.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oldtree wrote: »
    Don't you mean "De do do do, de da da da" by the police? :D

Stop infringing copyright its ob la dee, ob la da, life goes ooon on..

Great track in fairness. And the so many covers from metal to psytrance tell of that. Well played Toto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

For your delectation....

OT: is anyone else waiting to watch Musk shoot a rocket with a tesla roadster on top to Mars, playing David Bowie, that will orbit the sun for hundreds of millions of years? Or gloriously explode?

No? Just me then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Duck Soup, you have a place in heaven.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I must be the only person on Boards who can't stand this song.

Zaph wrote: »
    Looks like it. :pac:

A bit of trivia for those interested: the bassist in the video, Mike Porcaro, was the brother of drummer Jeff Porcaro and keyboardist Steve Porcaro. He didn't actually play bass on Toto IV, but only joined Toto after original bassist David Hungate left, shortly after completing the recording. Unfortunately, Mike was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and had to stop playing in 2007, and he died in 2015. Steve is now the only Porcaro left in Toto: Jeff had died in 1992, in a bizarre gardening accident (kind-of).

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bnt wrote: »
    Looks like it. :pac:

A bit of trivia for those interested: the bassist in the video, Mike Porcaro, was the brother of drummer Jeff Porcaro and keyboardist Steve Porcaro. He didn't actually play bass on Toto IV, but only joined Toto after original bassist David Hungate left, shortly after completing the recording. Unfortunately, Mike was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and had to stop playing in 2007, and he died in 2015. Steve is now the only Porcaro left in Toto: Jeff had died in 1992, in a bizarre gardening accident (kind-of).

Wait, a drummer dying in a bizarre accident? are you sure this isnt spinal tap you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zaph wrote: »
    Nope Zed. I'm not exactly enamoured of it myself. I can see how it's a very well written and played and bloody catchy tune, but I generally dislike "full" and lush production values on songs. I prefer songs to leave space between the notes as it were(pseud alert! :D). That dislike goes as far back(in pop) as Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. Good example of that was the same Spector being brought in to produce the tapes of the Beatle's Get Back sessions that was to become the album Let it be. The un Spector'd versions are sooooo much better. Though I'd retain a soft spot for ABBA who tended towards the full sound, but their tunes were so damned catchy and melodic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wait, a drummer dying in a bizarre accident? are you sure this isnt spinal tap you are talking about?
    A slight exaggeration, OK, but it was bizarre and gardening-related: he had a bad reaction to some insecticide he was spraying on his lawn, then had a heart attack and died. He reportedly had atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) too, which made things worse. The similarity to This Is Spinal Tap was noted at the time. :eek:

— Kingsley Amis

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    OT: is anyone else waiting to watch Musk shoot a rocket with a tesla roadster on top to Mars, playing David Bowie, that will orbit the sun for hundreds of millions of years? Or gloriously explode?

No? Just me then.

Would now be the time to discuss the pros and cons of hitchhiking and 47 with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

One of my all time favourite songs. Radio always gets turned up anytime its on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement