Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co Sleeper Cribs

Options
  • 06-02-2018 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi all, just a query for anyone who used the next to me cribs or similar for their little ones - is it really only beneficial if you are breastfeeding? As in, if you weren't breast feeding would you still recommend one or does it make more sense for them to have a separate non co sleeper crib if being bottle fed?

Just getting prepared for our new arrival and not sure whats best.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be honest, I think co-sleepers are kind of the in-thing at the moment.I can see the use of them but I have breast and bottle fed two babies, with a moses basket that did just fine, so I guess it really comes down to your budget and how much stuff you want.My first child was in 2014 and there was only one model on the market that was hugely expensive-in the last two years, they have become more widely available and are there in force.You could always get a normal cot beside the bed and remove one side of it either, and it would last a couple of years for you.It's very much a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

We have one & to be honest our 12week old hasn't slept in it yet. Are breastfeeding & early on mammy & baby feel asleep in the bed & has been that way since.
    Is an intricate system of pillows around her to prevent the unspeakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Thanks for the replies. Ideally id prefer not to have the baby sleeping in our bed (I know its all plans and hopes before baby arrives and then reality sets in and you go with whatever works!), if people are not using co sleepers whats most common to use until they move to their own room?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Moses basket until about 12 weeks in our house (its a big old one) and then a cot.The cot goes with them when they move to their own room and does them up to about 2yrs +.
    Mine didn't sleep in our bed bar the odd time here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I used a crib for the last 3 babies and then to cot in own room when 6 months. Never took any of them into our bed. This time round I'm getting a Chico lulago crib. Lasts from birth to 18 months. We go away alot more now so this suits perfectly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We use a snuzpod. It is high quality, no VOCs, robust and secure. It is useful to be able to move the side down and comfort him without getting up. It also adjusts to different heights- our mattress is very thick so most would be too low down beside it.

I worry I'll put a pillow on him in my sleep when I'm on that side. (I tend to move them about in my sleep.) Therefore I put the side up before I drop off and use minimal pillows and bedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It's a tricky question as every baby is going to be different. Note though that if you are breastfeeding, you can co-sleep (though Dad... i.e. me... got kicked out of the bed a lot to accommodate that). We found it handy for nights where I took the lead on keeping an eye on our little one. As I can't co-sleep it was definitely handy to able to have her right next to me, safely. They certainly have their selling points but they will be individual to each person. I wouldn't count it as a "must have", especially for a breast feeding mum (co-sleeping all the way there). We'll take it out of storage again for a second baby but mostly so that I can sleep next to the baby safely and give mom a bit of a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Ideally id prefer not to have the baby sleeping in our bed (I know its all plans and hopes before baby arrives and then reality sets in and you go with whatever works!), if people are not using co sleepers whats most common to use until they move to their own room?

I only ask this in case maybe your choice is born out of fear of your baby developing a sleep dependency, but what is your reason for not wanting to co-sleep? We didn't plan to co-sleep but VERY quickly realized the benefits of it. My wife slept better, our baby slept better and I got the spare room for most the night. All round, it worked wonders for us. At about 5 months when the night feeds tapered off, we moved her into her cot in our room which went reasonably well (we had other issues due to tongue-tie that resulted in a big dependency on mom to go to sleep... not to stay asleep... just to nod off). Then just before 6 months when night feeds had stopped, we moved the cot into her own room, mom stepped back for a few nights to break the dependency on her, and we've never looked back since.

To add.....OH slept in another room most nights out of the first six weeks anyway (and will again this time).He had to go to work the next day sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

I wasn’t breastfeeding and used the Chico next to me and should more children come along I’ll use it again. Found it handy for settling baby without getting out of bed and the size was ideal, the cot was just too big in our room so this done the job. Used it until 7 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Have the chicconext2me. Ended up cosleeping till baby was 1! Absolutely best way for me to get a good night's sleep and survive bf night feeds. Never had any intention of cosleeping and was very against the idea before baby arrived! If you follow safety recommendations it's a very safe sleep method.
    Did find the cosleeper handy as a substitute bed rail and used it for daytime naps. Transitioned to cot in own room at age one with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Meeeee79 wrote:

We had her in a Moses basket in our room til she outgrew that around 17 weeks. She moved into the cot in her own room then. Our house is too small to have fitted her cot in our room but she's been a good sleeper so far (touch wood she'll stay that way!) so I've only ever had to go in to pop back in her dummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

The main benefit to a cosleeper when breastfeeding is that you don’t have to get out of bed!! If you’re formula-feeding then you’ll be getting up to get bottles anyway, so a cosleeper becomes kind of redundant in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

A few advantages of a co-sleeper even if formula feeding that I would see are:
    Not having to get out of bed to put the baby back in when finished feeding.
    When the baby makes noise during the night you wouldn’t have to get out of bed to check if he/she is awake or just making noise while sleeping.
    Having the baby super close for first time Mom “is he still breathing” panics.
    I also love going to sleep facing my baby so his cute little face is the last thing I see before I fall asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

The main benefit to a cosleeper when breastfeeding is that you don’t have to get out of bed!! If you’re formula-feeding then you’ll be getting up to get bottles anyway, so a cosleeper becomes kind of redundant in my opinion.

Thanks again guys for your advice. This is kind of what I was thinking f no bf and didnt want to spend money on something for no reason but from reading all the other comments also I think ill go for the next to me style cribs as so many have said its a nice comfort having them so close and less worry.

Advertisement