Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transiting through Middle East. Non prescription painkillers.

Options
  • 06-02-2018 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

I will be flying Etihad from Dublin through Abu Dhabi airport to Hong Kong. I want to bring a few Solpadeine (Codeine based) tablets in my carry on bag, two or three at most. Also a couple of Diazepam (nervous flyer).
    I understand that these are banned substances in the Arab states.

How strict are they on small amounts for personal consumption or is it a total no no? I will be transiting and assume remaining air side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Solpadeine is sold in this part of the world and is a lot cheaper than in Ireland, so I doubt that you would have a problem with them, however the Diazepam would be an issue.

http://www.emirates247.com/lifestyle/travel-alert-check-the-list-of-restricted-medicines-in-the-uae-2016-04-12-1.626846

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I’m not 100% but Ithink you have to keep them in their packaging. The missus operated to Dubai (a good few years back however) crew were told even Panadol must be in its packet.

Considering the reason for having the Diazepam, then I would think that the following would apply...
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]There are many medications that are prohibited in the UAE and travellers should not even have traces of these medications in their blood or urine.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A prescription will only be ‘technically’ valid in the UAE if it’s written by a UAE registered doctor!

Under normal circumstances, I’d agree that it should suffice, but......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

smurfjed wrote: »
    Solpadeine is sold in this part of the world and is a lot cheaper than in Ireland, so I doubt that you would have a problem with them, however the Diazepam would be an issue.

http://www.emirates247.com/lifestyle/travel-alert-check-the-list-of-restricted-medicines-in-the-uae-2016-04-12-1.626846

The very first on the list is Codeine painkillers so I am surprised that Solpadeine is sold locally. Could it be a Solpadeine without Codeine in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The very first on the list is Codeine painkillers so I am surprised that Solpadeine is sold locally. Could it be a Solpadeine without Codeine in it?

The clue is kind of in the name there - the deine part relates to its main ingredient of codeine, they wouldn't be able to call it solpadeine if it had no codeine in it.

I will go buy some tomorrow and check the ingredients. I never used them as I'm subject to random drug testing and I was concerned about the codeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If it were me, I wouldn't risk it. They treat that stuff almost as severely as we would treat cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

January wrote: »
    The clue is kind of in the name there - the deine part relates to its main ingredient of codeine, they wouldn't be able to call it solpadeine if it had no codeine in it.

At this stage its a brand name, and the names are pretty irrelevant in other languages anyway.

If you haven't got a prescription for something, don't take it or don't transit through the Middle East, basically. If you have a prescription it still may not be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I brought a small bag of medication on honeymoon in 2016 we stopped in Dubai first for a few days then onto Thailand so I had stuff for every eventuality. And again last year we went to Dubai and I brought loads because I we had the child with us, I didn't think twice about what I might not have been able to bring. Had no issues at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

michellie wrote: »
    I brought a small bag of medication on honeymoon in 2016 we stopped in Dubai first for a few days then onto Thailand so I had stuff for every eventuality. And again last year we went to Dubai and I brought loads because I we had the child with us, I didn't think twice about what I might not have been able to bring. Had no issues at all!

This is one case where anecdote is not helpful - there is absolutely no justification to risk it considering what the penalties are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I always carry Tramadol as my debilitating knee pain can pop up at any time and place. Tramadol is on their serious drugs list, the step below narcotics. Got a letter for my doctor that says "Caranica has been prescribed Tramadol for knee issues". Brought that with me when transiting through Dubai and wasn't even asked for it. The peace of mind was worth the hassle of getting the letter and the doctor didn't charge! It's not a place to take chances.

To be fair about this, millions of people transit through Middle East airports without any issues. Their security is like any other airport and they won't rip your bag apart just to find one solpadeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I travel most weeks through ME airports and I bring valium/xannax with me for flying if needed. I got prescribed them in the UAE and bring the prescription. Solpadeine I wouldn't chance though.

I go through security in UAE almost weekly for the past few years, I always have a bottle of water in the carry on, toothpaste etc. They have never been taken off me.

Doesn't mean it won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

When i go middle east I simply dont risk it. I go to the chemist and buy painkillers over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

I passed through Dubai airport on the way to Thailand with a pack of solphadine and 2 packs of malarone and no questions asked

I've crossed the Myanmar land boarder and back and the laos boarder and no questions asked

Soladeine sold in Saudi is actually made in Dungarvin, it contains Codeine Phosphrate. 24 tables costs about 2.5 Euros so they are much cheaper than in Ireland. Price should be similar in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

January wrote: »

Solpadeine Headache is paracetamol and caffeine, ie no codeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I'm beginning to get confused here.

Some are saying that Solpadeine is for sale in the Middle East and others are saying that they are banned?

Anyone actually on the ground there who can confirm?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Purchased in Jeddah Saudi Arabia yesterday and contains codeine phosphate, but this is where it gets tricky, you can buy them but if tested the initial results will show up as if you used Cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm beginning to get confused here.

Some are saying that Solpadeine is for sale in the Middle East and others are saying that they are banned?

Anyone actually on the ground there who can confirm?

Thanks

Not on the ground but found this
    Codeine is banned by the Arab nation, and the presence of such drugs in the body is counted as possession and carries a minimum sentence of four years imprisonment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_counties/4481621.stm
    Solpadeine is the brand name of a range of analgesic medication containing various amounts of paracetamol, ibuprofen, caffeine and codeine,

You linked to a 13 year old article.

You linked to a 13 year old article.

Thank you for stating that which is evident. The article details outcomes. The prohibition remains valid for travellers in the AE afaik. If you have other information please detail as that would be useful.

Purchased in the Middle East yesterday.

25313273227_d4c5d26449.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Hi all, I live in the UAE. I asked at my local Life pharmacy today in relation to Solpadeine.

The Solpadeine sold here contains codeine. Codeine is a controlled substance in the UAE and cannot be bought in the UAE without prescription.

As such even with a prescription "filled" from outside the UAE, codeine cannot be brought into the UAE lawfully.

{In essence you are breaking the law if you have a codeine based drug in your possession while in any of the seven emirates of the UAE. Even if it perfectly legal in your own country.} - added by myself. The spiel above was from the pharmacist. Hope it helps OP.

Purchased in the Middle East yesterday.

25313273227_d4c5d26449.jpg

That's a very ratty looking box - are you sure it's
    new?

Purchased with or without a prescription?

Btw I don't believe the OP is looking to buy the stuff in the AE - see below ;)
    I will be flying Etihad from Dublin through Abu Dhabi airport to Hong Kong. I want to bring a few Solpadeine (Codeine based) tablets in my carry on bag, two or three at most. .... I will be transiting and assume remaining air side.

It's new, I just didn't treat it well :)

Purchased without prescription only for the purpose of this discussion as I'm not allowed to use them.

I hope that people can see how much of a paradox the middle east is, something that you can purchase without prescription in one country will have you thrown into jail in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yeah defo can't buy them in the UAE/Oman. You'd think KSA was stricter though.

• Advertisement

It's new, I just didn't treat it well :)

Purchased without prescription only for the purpose of this discussion as I'm not allowed to use them.

I hope that people can see how much of a paradox the middle east is, something that you can purchase without prescription in one country will have you thrown into jail in another.

Ah ok. What part of the middle East if you dont mind me asking did you get them in? I saw Growler say about UAE that
    ....Codeine is a controlled substance in the UAE and cannot be bought in the UAE without prescription.

Anyways I think the OP might be best to err on the side of caution going through and avoid ... ;)

Advertisement