Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Home Without Kids

• 06-02-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

We are currently living in New Zealand and I have a potential job offer back home which would be a great job by the sounds of it. The only problem is that they want me home a few months earlier than we had planned to leave. This would mean me leaving a few months before my wife and kids came home. The thought of this is breaking my heart but the opportunities are few and far between. If I dont take this job we may have to move to the UK instead which would not be terrible but we would still not be home which is what we really want. Has anyone any experience of doing this, was it worth it? It could be up to 6 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

I would take it. Short term it will no doubt be hard but long term it sets you and them up for a good life back in Ireland. No point moving home together and you not finding work. Once you know that it is a set amount of time before they get home to you and its not an indefinite time apart I think it is the right choice.

Is ti because of school term they cant move back with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

My eldest son is finishing high school in November so my wife will have to wait until he finishes that as we dont want to screw up his education. My youngest 2 will have to stay as they would have no one to mind them if they came with me. We would love to all move back in August for the start of school, then the time apart would not be so great but the November date is holding us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

If home is what you want, tell the company you want to take it, but ask them to work with you on it. Can you go back to NZ and do some remote work during that time? Can you bring them to meet you on a holiday half way? If your plan is to come home for good, six months will feel like nothing, eventually.

It also means you can set them up for success when they get back - find a house, good schools etc.

Advertisement