Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New borns and gigs

• 06-02-2018 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭

I missed so many concerts the last time I was pregnant, and am missing a good few again this time around my due date (the pitfalls of summer babies). There's a gig I really want to go to in the rds, so outdoors, when the baby will be about 6 weeks (give or take, depending in when he decides to arrive).
    Would it be ridiculous to expect to be able to go, with bubs in a sling, on boob, and with headphones on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I would not like to be trying to change a nappy at a concert. Newborns (particularly bf ones) poop every 45 seconds!

I would also be terrified of drunk people pushing past me, against me when carrying the baba.

Sounds like a lot of stress but you might be more chilled than me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Yea, maybe I've forgotten how hard it can be, but my thinking is 6 week olds are easy.
    They stay where you put them when you're changing them (I remember changing my last fella in bars and cafes between sinks in the toilets, in a counter space little bigger than him, and on my lap). I can't imagine, even at a gig, that somebody would be so drunk that they would push against me so hard that it could hurt a baby snuggled right in on top of me in a sling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

There was actually a gig that I really wanted to go to this week and myself and the husband discussed going. My baby is 6 weeks on Friday. I only said last night that i’m So glad we didn’t decide to go. I’m still sore from my episiotomy, I’m totally wreaked. My little boy is great but it would just be too much.

I just saw it’s an outdoor concert as well. Would you be OK if it rained for the whole gig and you both got soaked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Whatever about the crowds, you can find a less crowded place towards the back of the arena.

But it would be the noise that would concern me. I've never been to a quiet concert!! The sound levels are quite high for concerts and I would be worried about damage to hearing at such a young age when they are still only developing. A set of normal headphones won't keep out much noise and I don't think you would get a set of pellters (I think that's what they are called) to fit a 6 week old correctly to keep out sound. What about sleep patterns, do you think a baby is going to sleep through a concert?

Also consider yourself! Would you be up to attending a concert? Have you far to travel? What if you have a C-section - would you be recovered enough to stand for hours with a baby in a sling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My concerns would be what if it rained or was cold . Also cant imagine leaving a six week old baby with a set of head phones on for long periods to be honest .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yes it would be ridiculous. You could get a babysitter though. Get a breast pump for a supply of milk.

Oh god, ye have all turned me totally off it.
    It's been a while since I've been to a big stadium gig. I assumed those headphones would suffice and that there would be space to get away from the crowds.
    I had an episiotomy last time, but was over it very quickly. I hadn't considered a c-section...

Yes it would be ridiculous. You could get a babysitter though. Get a breast pump for a supply of milk.

No, I just wouldn't go. I wouldn't get a babysitter and leave a 6 week old. Nor would I pump that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Maybe it's just me, but I'll say it.
    I would consider that child abuse.
    Your baby is 6 weeks old. Still very fragile. Imagine the stress on being at a concert for a six week old. Nuts.

No, I just wouldn't go. I wouldn't get a babysitter and leave a 6 week old. Nor would I pump that early.
    Why not pump that early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

It's perfectly fine to pump that early. I was pumping from a few days when my first was in special care and from 3 weeks when my second had a short stay in the Children's Hospital.

Neither had any effect on my supply and I continued to breastfeed until after 6 months.

KellyXX wrote:
    Maybe it's just me, but I'll say it. I would consider that child abuse. Your baby is 6 weeks old. Still very fragile. Imagine the stress on being at a concert for a six week old. Nuts.

Yikes. Ill call the social worker, ask her if I should give up my kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This sounds suspjciously like a conversation my OH had with me last night....!!!(he wants me to go to a gig this summer, I will not be going post-baby!)standing for a whole gig with a sling would be very hard OP.I know you say you recovered from.an episiotomy last time, but standing for any length would still be quite rough- your core muscles won't be quite right.

As for the baby, well it depends.It's a lot of money to commit though when you could have a baby who has colic and cries every evening or wants to cluster feed or the like.Given that it would be max 6 weeks old, but more likely less than that really, I wouldn't do it myself.Just too much too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Would the RDS even allow it? I would imagine it would be an insurance nightmare for them particularly being an outdoor gig. There is a risk of falling. People bumping into you and knocking you.

Also can you get those soundproof headphones for a six week old. I know their are toddler ones but these would be too big for a six week old and therefore not provide sufficient protection to him.

What about the weather. A sling is not going to offer much protection if it is pouring rain.

How are you going to be able to change the baby or even bring all that you would need with you. The last few concerts I was at you were only allowed a clutch bag.

I would find a very trusted babysitter

Yikes. Ill call the social worker, ask her if I should give up my kids

Ask the social worker what they think of bringing a 6 week old to a concert :)

I've seen babies at most outdoor gigs I've been to.
    The last time I was at electric picnic, every other woman had a sling on her chest!

I'm not too concerned about my body recuperating, I was up and about straight away after my last one, and an evening standing up with a baby in sling would have been no bother to me. If things were different this time, I just wouldn't go.
    Also, baby's dad would be with me, so if I was tired carrying him, he would take over.

To be honest though, I had forgotten about cluster feeding at that age. That would put me off alright.

Also, if ear muffs aren't suitable for small babies, we won't be going. I wont be risking damaging his hearing, obviously

I wouldn't be too concerned about weather. If it was raining, I wouldn't go. With or without baby, it just wouldn't be an enjoyable experience.

Thanks for the selfish and child abuser comments, much appreciated!

Six weeks old is quite simply too small and fragile to drag to a gig in my opinion .A six weeks old needs would always come first for me . Always. And in fairness OP it is selfish as it not for the babys sake at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'd be afraid of putting noise protection equipment on a baby that small because their skulls are still so soft and delicate, I'd be afraid the pressure of the headphones could move the skull out of shape ... I'd be avoiding anything like that until the soft spot is well closed over.

I've seen babies at most outdoor gigs I've been to.
    The last time I was at electric picnic, every other woman had a sling on her chest!

I'm not too concerned about my body recuperating, I was up and about straight away after my last one, and an evening standing up with a baby in sling would have been no bother to me. If things were different this time, I just wouldn't go.
    Also, baby's dad would be with me, so if I was tired carrying him, he would take over.

To be honest though, I had forgotten about cluster feeding at that age. That would put me off alright.

Also, if ear muffs aren't suitable for small babies, we won't be going. I wont be risking damaging his hearing, obviously

I wouldn't be too concerned about weather. If it was raining, I wouldn't go. With or without baby, it just wouldn't be an enjoyable experience.

Thanks for the selfish and child abuser comments, much appreciated!

I read more about how you could handle it there than how your six week old could handle it.
    Says it all for me tbh.

Don't ask what people think if you only want to hear what you want.

• Advertisement

I'd be afraid of putting noise protection equipment on a baby that small because their skulls are still so soft and delicate, I'd be afraid the pressure of the headphones could move the skull out of shape ... I'd be avoiding anything like that until the soft spot is well closed over.

I think you are right. I had assumed they made these specifically for babies, but it seems not. No gigs for us this summer so!

The Electric Picnic Website suggests it's not good for the kids
    this is a large outdoor concert and may be not be a suitable environment for children under the age of 5. It is important to note that high noise levels can damage a child's hearing. We would just ask that you take this into consideration.

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/information/family-info

Bit disgusted to hear this is something people are doing now.

KellyXX wrote:
    Don't ask what people think if you only want to hear what you want.

I asked for people's opinions. There were 2 points which I considered valid, which I had not realised, or had forgotten - cluster feeds and that earmuffs were not safe.
    As soon as I realised these, I stated that I couldn't go.

I'm not sure how my child would be expected to handle my recovery from an episiotomy, which was the point I was responding to, but I'll be sure to ask him how he feels about it in july!

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Six weeks old is quite simply too small and fragile to drag to a gig in my opinion .A six weeks old needs would always come first for me . Always. And in fairness OP it is selfish as it not for the babys sake at all

Because something is not done for the sake of a baby, doesn't make it selfish.
    I had considered that a baby cocooned to its mother's chest, with milk supplied on demand, protected from the noise, would be happy. I still do.
    But if I can't keep it safe from the noise (as I have learned this morning), I won't be going.

Because something is not done for the sake of a baby, doesn't make it selfish.
    I had considered that a baby cocooned to its mother's chest, with milk supplied on demand, protected from the noise, would be happy. I still do.
    But if I can't keep it safe from the noise (as I have learned this morning), I won't be going.

In all fairness yes taking a baby to a gig because you didn't want to miss it is in my opinion a selfish act . Its just not a place for an infant . But thats my opinion and I still think it . Infants are precious and always should come first
    Have you no one who could mind the baby ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I just find evenings are not a good time for newborns (and trust me they are an infinitely worse time if you have a toddler and newborn!) On a practical level, babies are often overtired, dealing with a lot of input from the day and often obviously cluster feeding if breastfed.As to whether you can get earphones or whatever I don't know, but nah, I wouldn't bother with anything at that age.Plenty of years ahead to make up the gigs ;-)

iamwhoiam wrote:
    In all fairness yes taking a baby to a gig because you didn't want to miss it is in my opinion a selfish act . Its just not a place for an infant . But thats my opinion and I still think it . Infants are precious and always should come first Have you no one who could mind the baby ?

I totally disagree about it being selfish. If I could protect the baby's ears, I would still be considering it. Again, not about putting baby first or second. If the baby's needs were met, they are coming first.

I have loads of people to mind the baby. But that's not what I wanted to do. I believe in the 4th trimester. Baby stays with me at all times until at least 3 or 4 months old. If baby can't go, I can't either.

I totally disagree about it being selfish. If I could protect the baby's ears, I would still be considering it. Again, not about putting baby first or second. If the baby's needs were met, they are coming first.

I have loads of people to mind the baby. But that's not what I wanted to do. I believe in the 4th trimester. Baby stays with me at all times until at least 3 or 4 months old. If baby can't go, I can't either.

Do you mind me asking you why you think its better for a baby to be never left in the care of a loving adult ? I ask because my kids and my grandchild was left with loving grandparents . They all grew up to be perfectly happy content polite clever and loving adults . My grandchild was very lucky to have four grandparents who loved her . She is a happy , bright , sociable , chatty and gorgeous child . She runs in to her granda ( she was left with us when an infant if we were needed ) snuggled in to him and asks for a book read to her .
    Genuine question please , what benefit is it not to be left as an infant ? Because I am of a very different opinion that it takes a village to raise a child

iamwhoiam wrote:
    Do you mind me asking you why you think its better for a baby to be never left in the care of a loving adult ? I ask because my kids and my grandchild was left with loving grandparents . They all grew up to be perfectly happy content polite clever and loving adults . My grandchild was very lucky to have four grandparents who loved her . She is a happy , bright , sociacable , chatty and gorgeous child . She runs in to her granda ( she was left with us when an infant if we were needed ) snuggled in to him and asks for a book read to her . Genuine question please , what benefit is it not to be left as an infant ? Because I am of a very different opinion that it takes a village to raise a child

I don't think that at all. My toddler is lucky enough to spend a lot of time with both sets of grandparents and with my sister and her family. Has done on a regular basis since he was about 10 months old. He adores his relatives, and I am very much about the village parenting.

I'm taking about very young babies, up to 3-4 months old. I believe it takes time for them to adjust to life outside the womb. So they are held close to mamma listening to her heartbeat, fed on demand, swaddled, moved around in a sling being soothed by the movements they are familiar with.

• Advertisement

I don't think that at all. My toddler is lucky enough to spend a lot of time with both sets of grandparents and with my sister and her family. Has done on a regular basis since he was about 10 months old. He adores his relatives, and I am very much about the village parenting.

I'm taking about very young babies, up to 3-4 months old. I believe it takes time for them to adjust to life outside the womb. So they are held close to mamma listening to her heartbeat, fed on demand, swaddled, moved around in a sling being soothed by the movements they are familiar with.

Thanks for the answer . Well I disagree about the under 4 month old needing only its mother as a loving grandparent is a huge bonus to any age . Unless you can proove that the baby who stays only with his mother has any benefit above the one who occasionally is hugged by a grandparent ?

Advertisement