Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€30 off a dozen roses (just in times for valentine's)

• 06-02-2018 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭

madflowers.ie

enter the code MADROSE-J (and click enter)

Price down from 69 to 39euro.

Seems a decent price from other sites i've checked. They all seem to be around 70.

Valentine's day sorted. Delivered for 8euro extra

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

:confused:
    Dozen roses €4 Aldi
    Even if you want 100 roses it's €39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Cheers. All sorted now. The wife loves getting flowers delivered and I love a bargain. Win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

zell12 wrote: »
    Dozen roses €4 Aldi

rightly or wrongly, if i bring herself aldi roses on Valentine's.....she wont be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Boards must have crashed their site - Im getting "service unavailable"

Edit - now working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Gleefulprinter

rightly or wrongly, if i bring herself aldi roses on Valentine's.....she wont be happy

Don't give her the receipt and get your friend to drop them off at a neighbour's or recpetion of her work or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Don't give her the receipt and get your friend to drop them off at a neighbour's or recpetion of her work or something.

Buy them in Aldi €4
    Send with An Post as a parcel - Max €13.50 in ireland - will get them the next day

Total: €17.50.... You could even drop in a card as well :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

IRCA wrote: »
    Buy them in Aldi €4
    Send with An Post as a parcel - Max €13.50 in ireland - will get them the next day

Total: €17.50.... You could even drop in a card as well :-)

Jaysus, can you imagine the state of them if An Post got a hold of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Done it before - not a problem - use a nice big cardboard box and it will work no bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

She'd be getting a box of rose petals and some sticks with thorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

yannakis wrote: »
    She'd be getting a box of rose petals and some sticks with thorns.

And you'd be like the postman... On yer bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

I love getting flowers, but I'm I'm ever bought flowers around valentines day it will be divorce on grounds of severe dumb ass money wastage stupidity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Dozen roses €4 Aldi

You’re not exactly comparing apples with apples there, are ya?

That said, the bunch that they have advertised (24 for €40) look pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

dodzy wrote: »
    You’re not exactly comparing apples with apples there, are ya?

That said, the bunch that they have advertised (24 for €40) look pretty decent.

It says a lot about any relationship if Aldi even enters ones head for Valentine's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

bromley52 wrote: »
    It says a lot about any relationship if Aldi even enters ones head for Valentine's day.

Does it ? So tell us what it says about the relationship then . I am very intersested to hear how you judge our relationship from your high horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Roses are roses for fecks sake.. slap a florist sticker on it and they won't know the difference in any case!

You should appreciate that your husband / wife / partner / SO took the time to think of you and buy them - rather than the material and slightly egotistical view of "ooh, they must have cost a lot"!

But as an aside, I tend to go mid range and go Dunne's range who do decent bouquets for €20 - €25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Aldi flowers are actually very good quality. I wouldn’t agree that roses are roses - generally a €4 bunch will contain smaller roses. But amongst more expensive Valentine’s Day bunches there’s nothing wrong with Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Oh my. This is the result of marketing and, obviously, part of what you choose to pay for the same quality of roses.

Edit: commas.

Spend €20 to register Flowers4All Ltd. -> Buy €4 flowers from Aldi -> put Flowers4All sticker over Aldi sticker -> sell to bromley52 and others at 10x markup -> profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

If I spent ridiculous money on flowers and a meal out for Valentines, SHMBO would destroy me.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Emerg

Not all roses are the same- Roses are bought on two things- head size+ stem length. So the cheap dozen in the Supermarket are about 30-40cm in length, and will be a different varieties to the more expensive ones.
    Full disclosure- I work in the industry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If I spent ridiculous money on flowers and a meal out for Valentines, SHMBO would destroy me.

I have told my OH never to buy me flowers on Valentines Day .Buy them a week later ! And buy them in Aldi .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Good thing I have a Japanese girlfriend, Valentine's is all about giving the guy gifts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Nice one OP flowers ordered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Says a lot about people's gullibility/stupidity/snobbishness if they are prepared to pay significantly over the odds for any flowers in most places around Valentine's Day and also says quite alot about their SOs if they're not happy unless their flowers come with an Interflora sticker on them, delivered by a man in a van

There was a long running thread this time last year with people, notably including florists etc., ranting about quality, species & size of "budget" roses

If people are happy with with what they get, at the price they get it for, whether it's Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes, M&S or Maxol then leave them too it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

That's a nice bottle of wine with dinner if we ever manage to get out for a meal again. It'll be aldi flowers here too.
    Which says out relationship is on a budget due to mortgage and 2 kids.
    Also, not to put a damper on the bargain. But the 2 times I have used madflowers in the past, I have had problems.
    1. Delivered a day late (because delivery driver couldn't find the office. On main road in Dublin 2)
    2. Delivered wrong flowers a day early, to wife's office on her day off.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    That's a nice bottle of wine with dinner if we ever manage to get out for a meal again. It'll be aldi flowers here too.
    Which says out relationship is on a budget due to mortgage and 2 kids.
    Also, not to put a damper on the bargain. But the 2 times I have used madflowers in the past, I have had problems.
    1. Delivered a day late (because delivery driver couldn't find the office. On main road in Dublin 2)
    2. Delivered wrong flowers a day early, to wife's office on her day off.

Way to put a dampener on it :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

thanks OP, I’m away that week so it’s great value.
    Dozen roses €4 Aldi

SNUBBLESTE, I see you have reverted to your usual bargain alerts bashing. Just because you are not in the market for this product doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If you're looking for something a little different (not everyone likes roses) I used Mini Flowers recently and the flowers were gorgeous and only €20. Not sure what their plan for Valentine's Day is but they make a different bunch every morning and you order that morning for same-day delivery. I think it's Dublin only though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It says a lot about any relationship if the Euro value of loving or thoughtful gestures is an overriding factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

€69 on something that will be in the bin within a few days? Even €39 is a ridiculous price, thank god my wife would slap me if I bought her flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

€69 on something that will be in the bin within a few days? Even €39 is a ridiculous price, thank god my wife would slap me if I bought her flowers.

Bought mine a bunch in Grafton Street last week. Roses & Lillie's for a tenner.
    They are still going strong.

spockety wrote: »
    It says a lot about any relationship if the Euro value of loving or thoughtful gestures is an overriding factor.

Ones circumstances and disposable income might be a factor!

Plenty of women don't like flowers. Plenty do. I don't see any issue with buying Aldi roses for 4€. I don't see an issue buying a much nicer bunch for €39. Everyone to their own but predictably, this thread has turned into a "you're a gob****e for spending €39 on flowers / your partner is a diva for expecting same" one.

Same ole, sale ole.

Plenty of women don't like flowers. Plenty do. I don't see any issue with buying Aldi roses for 4€. I don't see an issue buying a much nicer bunch for €39. Everyone to their own but predictably, this thread has turned into a "you're a gob****e for spending €39 on flowers / your partner is a diva for expecting same" one.

Same ole, sale ole.

I think the argument is instead that the more expensive roses in supermarkets (~€12) are of higher quality than the cheapest roses in florists (e.g. €39 here), including headsize and stem length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

If a 4 euro rose or a 39 euro bunch of roses helps you get the leg over all I can say is result....

• Advertisement

I think the argument is instead that the more expensive roses in supermarkets (~€12) are of higher quality than the cheapest roses in florists (e.g. €39 here), including headsize and stem length.
    It's not. I referred to exactly that in post #13. There's no argument. Just people being a**holes. If someone gets their other half a bunch of flowers, irrespective of the cost, and they are well received, then it's a win-win. Obviously, the quality of the OP flowers vs the Lidl low-tier bunch touted earlier are worlds apart.

It's not. I referred to exactly that in post #13. There's no argument. Just people being a**holes. If someone gets their other half a bunch of flowers, irrespective of the cost, and they are well received, then it's a win-win. Obviously, the quality of the OP flowers vs the Lidl low-tier bunch touted earlier are worlds apart.

I was specifically referencing your "you're a gob****e for spending €39 on flowers / your partner is a diva for expecting same" line. While there is certainly one or two posts suggesting this, I don't think most of us are discussing that view. A lot are instead suggesting that's there no reason to spend more money in a florists just because it's a florists.

If the same quality of rose can be bought in a supermarket for significantly cheaper then there's no reason not to buy it in a supermarket. If €30 roses in a supermarket are of the same quality as €100 roses in a florists, then buy in a supermarket.

This is the Bargain Alerts forum after all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My girlfirend hates flowers and would loom at strange if I bought her roses.

Her reply would be would you not spend the money on a ticket for a gig for me ?.

So I buy her a gig ticket and I get a night of playing video games in my underwear !!!.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dealz €1.50 for a dozen plastic roses.

And you can reuse them next year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Dealz €1.50 for a dozen plastic roses.

And you can reuse them next year :pac:

And with this card you can re-use them a couple of times a year!!

TESCO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Has anyone actually got the 100 roses in LIDL and if so what are they like

Anyone get their flowers delivered yet?

Anyone get their flowers delivered yet?

Mine were delivered but herself hasn't seen them yet so dont know how decent (or sh1te) they may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 iLander

What a story Mark!
    tenor.gif?itemid=9533123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Interested to know what they look like alright. Don't think mine have been delivered yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Absolutely not worth it; Madflowers do this every year, same offer, still a rip off. Prices skyrocket this week for roses. Retailers see the €€€ signs.

Pro tip; go to Dunnes/Tesco/M&S tomorrow and get their Valentines bouquets for 50% off, 66% off and by Friday will be 75% off. Done this last 3 years. Don't get ripped off, your wife/SO should realise how much of a rip off flowers are for this date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭JKerova1

xpletiv wrote: »
    Absolutely not worth it; Madflowers do this every year, same offer, still a rip off. Prices skyrocket this week for roses. Retailers see the €€€ signs.

Pro tip; go to Dunnes/Tesco/M&S tomorrow and get their Valentines bouquets for 50% off, 66% off and by Friday will be 75% off. Done this last 3 years. Don't get ripped off, your wife/SO should realise how much of a rip off flowers are for this date.

Agreed.

I used Mad Flowers once and the service they provided was horrendous. They never delivered the flowers on time for Valentines day and then delivered it to the wrong address. When I rang to complain they sent me another bouquet but again delivered it to the wrong address. Didn't even get an apology.

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Agreed.

I used Mad Flowers once and the service they provided was horrendous. They never delivered the flowers on time for Valentines day and then delivered it to the wrong address. When I rang to complain they sent me another bouquet but again delivered it to the wrong address. Didn't even get an apology.

Flowers arrived today well packaged in a box and roses were really nice, the Mrs loves them so a big thumbs up to madflowers and OP from me :)

GBX wrote: »
    Mine were delivered but herself hasn't seen them yet so dont know how decent (or sh1te) they may be.

These were grand. Boxed and she is happy which is the main thing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

These were grand. Boxed and she is happy which is the main thing ;)

Same here. Delivers boxes look good. Always tells me not to get flowers but for feck it I said...she loved it. Curls for golf at the weekend ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
Advertisement