Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant given notice but not vacating property

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

GingerLily wrote: »
    Am I missing something? It's not the 15th of February yet? Everyone here seems to be massively jumping the gun...

I’m holding fire until the 15th passes. I was just looking for advice on next steps if the tenant doesn’t leave.

It’s the lack of engagement I’m really annoyed by. They could simply try to negotiate, any time since the notice was given, and I would have been open to accommodate them. As it is, I’m left to stress what may be.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Welcome to a five figure defamation claim.

How is it defamation if it is all true?

If there is no answer at the phone and no answer at the door, maybe they are all ready left, or have an accident in the apartment and need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

No defamation here. He is refusing to pay. Handing in a demand for payment is not defamatory. Neither is reporting on a court case.

It ain't defamation when it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

dubrov wrote: »
    How is it defamation if it is all true?
    Greybottle wrote: »
    No defamation here. He is refusing to pay. Handing in a demand for payment is not defamatory. Neither is reporting on a court case.
    It ain't defamation when it's true.

It's still defamation even if it's true (see s 6 Defamation Act 2009), truth is simply a defence (see s 16 of 2009 Act). The defence is defeated by someone saying just the wrong thing on social media, which turns out not to be quite true, which is what you suggested, not reporting on a court case.

It's no skin of my nose if you want to give it a try. While we're bandying about defamation clichés - don't pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel and don't leave yourself open to a law suit from a bloody solicitors office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Has the tenant vacated yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

GingerLily wrote: »
    Has the tenant vacated yet?

looks like there's 2 more days to go anyway

bluewolf wrote: »
    looks like there's 2 more days to go anyway

Tenant left today. Hallelujah. All that worrying for nothing!

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Brian? wrote: »
    Change all the locks. It's a small expense in the long run. You should be able to do so by yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Brian? wrote: »

Jaysus hope you didn't pay her off. Terrible advice :P

Jaysus hope you didn't pay her off. Terrible advice :P

I didn't.

they/them/theirs

the_syco wrote: »
    Change all the locks. It's a small expense in the long run. You should be able to do so by yourself.

Keys handed over to my estate agent. I'll ask her to get it done. Good idea.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

the_syco wrote: »

Should be par for the course, whether it was a good or bad tenant that left.

I keep a box of locks. built up over the years and swop out after each and every tenant leaves. It helped me years ago after a new (nutjob) tenant moved in and claimed stuff was going missing with no signs of forced entry.

Advertisement