Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronseal fence

Options
  • 06-02-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭

Towards the end of last summer I painted my garden fence from the old red cedar to the green sage took me a lot of labour as I done it by brush and had to give each panel 4 coats! some dripped into the neighbours and had to go over her fence in Red cedar when finished!

It really was a hard project and took me a couple of weeks, but looked great when finished and was really looking forward to the summer as my new lawn looks well. Garden and patio area is finished .. so just to plant trees and scrubs etc and my masterpiece is finished :D (my back garden is small enough) was out the back the weekend just checking on the lawn and I noticed the paint has worn of some of the panels actually quite a lot on one side! obviously from the rain over the winter but it's meant to be a 5 year guarantee! for it to come of like that is disgraceful imo as the paint isn't cheap!

Is it worth ringing Ronseal and complaining? I am serious pissed off! Is there any solutions? I know I'm gonna have to buy more paint now and go over it but for that to happen having putting 4 coats on what's to stop it from happening again! I even took pictures in case they ask for them..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

what was on the fence before?

Is it possible that the ronseal did not penetrate this and thus has just washed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Ronseal Red cedar. My fence has not been painted in years so the red cedar was very worn plus I power washed as much off the red cedar off as I could, left to dry for a week. Then started painting with Ronseal sage colour. I put a lot of effort into it as I wanted it to last for a good few years hence the 4 coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP was that an acrylic paint? If so then I don't think it would take very well on old wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

I buy 'Fence life' not sure who make's it? cheap enough I add a bit of waste oil to it looks really well and lasts for ages, when it rains you can see the water run off it. [If the birds would only stop ****ting on it.]

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is the fence made of pressure-treated wood? In my experience that doesn't really take colour very well.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Is the fence made of pressure-treated wood? In my experience that doesn't really take colour very well.

I use the acrylics like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronseal-RSLGPSA25L-Litre-Garden-Paint/dp/B00T457CHQ/ all the time on pressure treated timber and provided the timber is dry they are really good, perhaps better on rough saw timber than perfectly smooth planed timber.

On the other hand is this what the OP was using a Fence Life Plus paint https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronseal-RSLFLPPSA5L-Litre-Fence-Paint/dp/B01AIOTZQC/ ?

The colour and manufacturer are the same but the consistancy of the paint is very different the later is like water and would need 4 coats on an old fence for good colour but the former would cover in one coat and need two at most.

Either way I'd at least drop Ronseal an email.

my3cents wrote: »

On the other hand is this what the OP was using a Fence Life Plus paint https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronseal-RSLFLPPSA5L-Litre-Fence-Paint/dp/B01AIOTZQC/ ?

The colour and manufacturer are the same but the consistancy of the paint is very different the later is like water and would need 4 coats on an old fence for good colour but the former would cover in one coat and need two at most.

Either way I'd at least drop Ronseal an email.

Thats what I used the Ronseal Plus and gave it 4 coats! I had previously painted it the red cedar colour by Ronseal years ago it was grand but I was doing the back garden up and taught the sage would look different & better which it did until some of it has washed of from the rain!

As above my fence is the standard panels you see in most houses theses day they are a bit rough with like wooden latttes overlapping each other on 1 side. if i knew how to post pics I could show you.

That Fence Life Plus HAS to soak into the wood to work (one reason its very poor on clean planned timber) so I wonder if the previous treatment had left a shinny non porous surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Used Fence Life (Dark Oak I think). Useless, 5 years my a$$. It goes to sh!t in a few.. 3 coats + to get a good deep colour and it went onto a fresh stud fence.. I am fairly exposed to the elements though.

I also painted a Treehouse in a Ronseal green of sorts (sage rings a bell), and its perfect 3 years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You can spray on most of them fence treatments. If you have access to a small compressor and spray gun you would have any length of fence done in no time.it can put it on light as well so you can do numerous coats in a short time.its very watery anyway so you can lash it on with the spray.
    As for quality I find them poor but they are cheap. I guarantee if you spray them once you will never brush paint them again as that’s a sickening job. Once a year with sprayer.lash it on walk away from it and forget about it.aldi has compressors and guns from time to time and most paint suppliers sell a small spray gun with inbuilt compressor for 50 euro.would last you years.just plug into extension lead and go like a rocket with it.lightly sand the fence when dry to give a key sweep of a brush to knock the dust and away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You can spray on most of them fence treatments. If you have access to a small compressor and spray gun you would have any length of fence done in no time.
    I did this at my last house and it was fairly disastrous.

It was vertical hit-and-miss, and there's no way to get an acceptable finish unless you have access to both sides the of the fence, which is difficult or impossible unless agreed with neighbours (or it's not a boundary fence). Plus it stained the concrete base of one fence section. So I used a petrol-powered pressure washer on the concrete, and that put holes in the concrete. :rolleyes:

So this time I just left the fence bare, and it looks great.

So my opinion is now: treatment of fencing is best done to the raw materials in the factory/sawmill/whatever.

my3cents wrote: »
    That Fence Life Plus HAS to soak into the wood to work (one reason its very poor on clean planned timber) so I wonder if the previous treatment had left a shinny non porous surface?

yeah but I power washed most of the old paint off as I have a very strong power washer left to dry for a week, then painted it with a brush all 4 coats!

Just a update I rang Ronseal and complained. They told me to email pictures which I did and explain how and when I painted it. Rang a few days later and the chap sent me out a credit note to be able to go into woodies get 4 x 9 ltr tubs and a sprayer. I told him I dont need that much and he said dont worry just take if an storage it for the future etc.

Really taught they handled the issue very well and was very impressed..

Just a update I rang Ronseal and complained. They told me to email pictures which I did and explain how and when I painted it. Rang a few days later and the chap sent me out a credit note to be able to go into woodies get 4 x 9 ltr tubs and a sprayer. I told him I dont need that much and he said dont worry just take it and store it for the future etc.

Really taught they handled the issue very well and was very impressed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Not sure how accurate this is but I've heard if the timber is very dry it can pull the water in the paint straight into the wood and leave the stain sat on the surface to wash off easily.
    Apparently if you wash down the wood and paint the next day when the wood is still damp the stain penetrates best.
    Could be worth a go on a hidden section seeing as you have so much of it.

Advertisement