Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to sow after Garlic is harvested?

Options
  • 06-02-2018 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I have built some raised beds in a council allotment, that I use to grow some low maintenance fruit & vegetables. Unlike some of the people there who are retired, I have a young family so am a bit time poor at the moment. I prefer to keep things simple as a result.

Last year I had a pretty decent year with Onions in particular (which we use a lot of) and carrots/parsnips. We have a decent strawberry plot also, and started a raspberry plot last year and hope to finish that this year.

The 2.2m x 1.4m raised bed I grew carrots/parsnips in last year, I planted with garlic over the winter, and expect to be harvesting that around the late May-late June timeframe. The bed is deep, if it makes any difference, and was filled with fresh soil last year.

Any thoughts on what good low maintenance veg would be an option to sow in it from late-June onwards? I am not keen on anything that takes high levels of maintenance or watching ....

I would probably look to use the bed for Onions next year, so it would be free until around the March/April timeframe again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Leeks. Easy, no hassle, harvest up to Christmas. Like deep soil. Start in a deep tray, sow thinly, harden then plant out. Make a hole with a dibber then water in fairly deep.

Edit - not sure about following garlic now I think of it, same family, someone else may know.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

looksee wrote: »
    Leeks. Easy, no hassle, harvest up to Christmas.

Yeah had thought of that, but was planning to put leeks into a different (smaller) bed.

Have the same concern re Onions in that bed next year, so was wondering if there was anything I could grow to 'assist' with the crop rotation !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Purple sprouting brocolli? Much less trouble than regular broc as it seems to be less inclined to get caterpillar infested.

Thanks for the hint - will look into that

was also thinking maybe Swede or Brussells Sprouts - any idea how much work they are?

I can sow in glasshouse in advance if I need to - as that's beside the house. I only get to allotment around once a week, unless really dry weather when I have to water !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Swedes would be fine but need a well fed growing medium - has the bed in question been well manured/composted in the last year or so? Swedes like plenty of fuel. You can start them under cover for two weeks or so in modules/pots thin out the weak ones and plant up the rest after a month, once a week watering is pushing it a bit but we'll probably have standard Irish summer if so that won't be an issue! Weeding is nothing too hard - clean the bed every few weeks.

Bed is well manured, and was filled last year with a mix of 65% top soil, 30% compost and 5% horticultural sand
    It was then fertilised before the garlic went into it - so I would have no concerns on that side

Can up the watering initially for a bit if I have to, but its likely to rain as soon as the kids are on holidays anyway :)

Broad beans or french beans. Little maintenance. Plant the seeds and off they grow. We had a bumper crop of them last summer having sowed seeds around late April-ish.

Peas are delicious too and little maintenance save for tying up occasionally. Kids will love them too.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Peas are delicious too and little maintenance save for tying up occasionally. Kids will love them too.

The raised bed is around 80-90cm high. If I am to put a trellis up for pea's or beans, I wonder is that getting a bit too high? Would I need to go 1m high with the trellis for it to be of any real use?

I love the idea of peas, and have grown them before at ground level - just wondering about the height and any potential wind issue being that high up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The raised bed is around 80-90cm high. If I am to put a trellis up for pea's or beans, I wonder is that getting a bit too high? Would I need to go 1m high with the trellis for it to be of any real use?

Sow dwarf variety. Dwarf French beans only grow about a foot high and are a great cropper. They work well in raised beds. Fill the bed with them, you won't be sorry ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Mangetout peas. You can sow them late, or from starter pots. Easy as pie and they fruit up till November.

Only thing to remember is twiggy pea-sticks or something for them to climb up.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Mangetout peas. You can sow them late, or from starter pots. Easy as pie and they fruit up till November.

Only thing to remember is twiggy pea-sticks or something for them to climb up.

Thanks for the recommendation. Might be a runner, as we are more likely to eat those than runner beans, and will have a small window of time to make some support poles :)

Lots to think about ! Thanks everyone

I love the idea of peas, and have grown them before at ground level - just wondering about the height and any potential wind issue being that high up?

Mine are roughly the same height and fairly exposed too. Simple supports of bamboo and twine have worked well for me over the years.

I also recall having a variety of pea that did not need such supports and grew as a bush. Cant remember the variety but it did have great yields.

Advertisement