Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing from N. Ireland with Visa Debit

Options
  • 06-02-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Lets say I wish to purchase something online from Northern Ireland with my Visa Debit and lets say it is being sold for 500 pounds. How do I establish how much this will cost in Euros including all fees incurred. Thanks, Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I buy from a supplier up north so the below should be correct with boi using the visa debit.

The transaction charge will be 10c for a point of sale transaction.

The cross border fee is 2% of the value with a max of 11.43

The rate applied is the day rate applied by the bank which today is .8643.

So it will cost you 578.50 plus 10c plus 11.43

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

BarraOG wrote: »
    Lets say I wish to purchase something online from Northern Ireland with my Visa Debit and lets say it is being sold for 500 pounds. How do I establish how much this will cost in Euros including all fees incurred. Thanks, Barry

Hi BarraOG,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

There is a charge of 2% on any transaction done directly with a retailer in a different currency to Euro with a minimum charge of €3.17 and a maximum of €11.43. In relation to the rates on any given day, I've given a link here that you can use to get the foreign exchange rates each day.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Surely if it's a Visa Debit purchase then the Visa Europe exchange rate applies, rather than BoI's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi All,

Just to clarify it would be Visa Euro that would apply the rate on the day the purchase debits on your account. 

Please see here for more information.

If you are using the ATM to withdraw cash then the rate would be applied by BOI.

I hope this clears the above up.

Thanks,

Kareana

Advertisement