Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat on Blessington with 8hp engine

• 06-02-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Does anybody know why you are not allowed an engine on Blessington with an engine greater that 6hp?

My engine is 8hp. I would like to drive the boat on it with a fishfinder for a few hours but my understanding is that this is not allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Does anybody know why you are not allowed an engine on Blessington with an engine greater that 6hp?

My engine is 8hp. I would like to drive the boat on it with a fishfinder for a few hours but my understanding is that this is not allowed.

Go for it, he who dares, wins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Loughrea lake is 5hp and governed by a pile of trout loving pike bashers from the Middle Ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Pretty sure it’s to prevent too much wake causing bank erosion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Loughrea lake is 5hp and governed by a pile of trout loving pike bashers from the Middle Ages

And what has any of that got to do with the OP's question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

6hp and it's to protect the fact it's a very shallow lake and a nature reserve. why need more than that on a lake less than 2km one end to the other?

• Advertisement

viper123 wrote: »
    6hp and it's to protect the fact it's a very shallow lake and a nature reserve. why need more than that on a lake less than 2km one end to the other?

Any idea why there is two large signs at the boat house in Loughrea encouraging anglers to control pike numbers and protect “native brown trout”. The last time I checked Loughrea was a stocked lake.more lies and handy use of terminology to suit the pike bashers. I can’t understand why people can’t just get along and one lad fish for a trout and the other lad fish for pike.
    A pike is a predator fair enough.but that’s nature.isnt the ferox a predator as well and no mention of the damage they do on the Corrib.

Zzippy wrote: »
    And what has any of that got to do with the OP's question?

I was just highlighting the fact that it’s not just blessington that has these restrictions.not fair on young anglers if you ask me who can only afford one engine be it a 9.9 or 15hp for bigger waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Any idea why there is two large signs at the boat house in Loughrea encouraging anglers to control pike numbers and protect “native brown trout”. The last time I checked Loughrea was a stocked lake.more lies and handy use of terminology to suit the pike bashers. I can’t understand why people can’t just get along and one lad fish for a trout and the other lad fish for pike.
    A pike is a predator fair enough.but that’s nature.isnt the ferox a predator as well and no mention of the damage they do on the Corrib.

Honestly no idea. I'm a member but never agreed to them being put up, probably came up in the AGM last year. If I had my way they wouldn't be there or on any other lake in Ireland. I fish for both pike and trout in equal measure and have no preference for either. I don't believe the lake is netted at the moment but I might be wrong, I certainly remember it being netted as a kid alright.

I was just highlighting the fact that it’s not just blessington that has these restrictions.not fair on young anglers if you ask me who can only afford one engine be it a 9.9 or 15hp for bigger waters.

I've a 9.9 and it was expensive enough, I'd love to be able to afford a 15horse.
    As someone else posted, Loughrea is a very shallow lake. A powerful engine will stir up far more sediment and damage bottom habitat than a small one. Many lakes around Ireland have similar restrictions, you singled out Loughrea because you have a bee in your bonnet that a club which owns the fishing rights on the lake has the gall to want to protect the trout on it's own lake.
    The lake is "stocked" in that trout are stripped, eggs are laid down in the small hatchery, and fry are then released into the lake. There is extremely limited spawning available for fish to populate the lake naturally. It is nothing like a stocked fishery where 2-10lb rainbows are stocked in.

Re ferox, ferox trout were the first fish to colonise Corrib after the last Ice Age. They are genetically unique, very rare, spawn in one tributary, and at a population level have sweet FA impact on trout stocks. Their genetic uniqueness and rarity make them hugely important. Not comparable in any way to pike, which have not been in Corrib since the Ice Age, are not genetically unique to Corrib, are not in any way rare and have a much greater impact on trout stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Thanks for the reponses on this lads. It is quite a shame that someone can't fish on the the lake in their own boat due to an engine being 2hp over the limit.

It is only 35 minutes from me which is why i wanted to try it out. It is just a bit of a pain hauling a boat 1.5 - 2 hours at the weekend to fish but i guess that is the price you got to pay.

Anyone know if there would be major consequences if one was to be found with a lqrger engine on the lake?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reponses on this lads. It is quite a shame that someone can't fish on the the lake in their own boat due to an engine being 2hp over the limit.

It is only 35 minutes from me which is why i wanted to try it out. It is just a bit of a pain hauling a boat 1.5 - 2 hours at the weekend to fish but i guess that is the price you got to pay.

Anyone know if there would be major consequences if one was to be found with a lqrger engine on the lake?

Are you a member of the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Zzippy wrote: »
    Are you a member of the club?

not yet, want to try and get as much info as i can regarding the boat prior to that.

There must be some other way of keeping in touch with pike numbers instead of netting and putting up big notices encouraging the public to kill pike.why don’t the clubs organize 3 or 4 competitions per year with a catch and kill policy with trophies and small cash prize for winners or top 3.a club official could even exaggerate and say 3 30 pounders have been released in to encourage lads to enter.entry fee per rod and plough most of the money back into the club and stocks for trout.
    Surely a better solution is available than paying lads to net lakes in blind nettings catching anything unlucky enough to get stuck in the net.
    Encourage tourists to hire designated boats which are clean and disease free to fish the lakes allowing day passes without the risk of introducing zebra mussel etc by having boats available for hire and no introduction of boats from other waters.
    Or else instead of paying lads to net and kill,plough money into buying stock fish such as roach and bream which are disease free and quarantined to feed the pike,encourage coarse fishing on day passes and reduce the chance of trout being eaten if pike are already fed.
    It’s frustrating to see young anglers being encouraged on some waters to practice catch and release and handle fish with care using landing mats etc and then on other waters being told to kill all predators.
    I believe in the interest of fishing as a whole the signs at Loughrea lake should be taken down.a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and lads reading them signs could take that as gospel and do damage wherever they fish going on that advice.my opinion only but there’s surely some other way to keep everyone happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Tin of paint and change the 8 to a 6 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

jimbev wrote: »
    Tin of paint and change the 8 to a 6 :eek:

There’s always been a decent market for 6hp engine covers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

protecting the banks from erosion and preserving the reserve is infinitely more important than being "fair" on hobbyists, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to change the decals on your engine....

Advertisement