Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Triton Shower

Options
  • 06-02-2018 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

Triton electric shower needs replacing, so called electrician to replace it with the new version of the same shower. The guy advises that wiring will all have to be redone for the shower and then new shower fitted by plumber. Can this really be the only option, house is only 10 - 15 years old and quoting like 1,000 quid to replace a shower seems exceptionally high to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭vandriver

Hi Guys,

Triton electric shower needs replacing, so called electrician to replace it with the new version of the same shower. The guy advises that wiring will all have to be redone for the shower and then new shower fitted by plumber. Can this really be the only option, house is only 10 - 15 years old and quoting like 1,000 quid to replace a shower seems exceptionally high to me.

Thanks
    I got a new Triton fitted.Then it started tripping the electricity.
    It needed a 38 amp dedicated breaker as it was 9.5 KW(the old Triton was lower power).All in was just under €500

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You must have 6mm cable. The new triton t90sr & mira elite qt are 9kw. Most electricians want 10mm for 9kw. This is where the extra cost is.

What part of the country are you in? You'll get it done for 700 in Dublin.

1000 is way over the odds remembering that the plumbing work is already in place. He's charging over 750 to rewire & a new trip switch

Ring around for better prices just make sure that you have someone good working on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Depends on the installation
    It would be impossible to tell from here
    If he is replacing the cable with 10sq and wiring back to the board then he may also have to upgrade the mains cable to the meter if they are undersized
    He may also have to upgrade the earthing
    He should also provide a Cert

Other quotes from a rec are advisable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Guys,

Thanks

At first glance it sounds a bit saucy alright. However as others have said without knowing exactly what has been quoted for it is impossible to say whether you are being ripped off or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 monkerhostin11

Thanks for the replies , I'll see if we can get a couple of more quotes but it looks like its going to be a far more expensive job than we originally thought so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thanks for the replies , I'll see if we can get a couple of more quotes but it looks like its going to be a far more expensive job than we originally thought so.

You need RECI registered electrician & a certificate when job is done.

Advertisement