Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front garden new beds

Options
  • 06-02-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have just got the front garden landscaped and have two new flower beds that I'm looking forward to planting . I would welcome some ideas especially for the long one by the wall which is 23 feet long by 2 feet wide. Is west facing but gets full sun only in the afternoon. Thinking 3 or 4 roses under planted with geranium Roxanne. I'm not looking for low maintenance as want to make the most of the space. Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Hi,
    Geranium Rozannne gets big at maturity, around 4-5 feet across. It flowers from late May until around October but after this it dies back for the next 6 months leaving you with bare soil. Roses too will be summer flowering and not much to look at other times of the year. You could plant some spring bulbs for interest earlier in the year.
    I would be looking for plants that give you as long as possible interest during the year especially in your front garden or plants that will perform consecutively.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Martin32

Super thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Geranium Rozannne gets big at maturity, around 4-5 feet across. It flowers from late May until around October but after this it dies back for the next 6 months leaving you with bare soil. Roses too will be summer flowering and not much to look at other times of the year. You could plant some spring bulbs for interest earlier in the year.
    I would be looking for plants that give you as long as possible interest during the year especially in your front garden or plants that will perform consecutively.

Started to make short video clips of the flowers in my garden that can be seen at different months of the year and the link to the viburnum tinus is here.

Also could be worth considering plants that have nice Autumn colour to their foliage e.g Japanese acers and berries like pyrachanta and even some plants that have interesting colour all year round like photinia red robin.

Advertisement