Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It'll probably be the shitty special ed version.

No way I'll pay money to see that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The worst part of the special edition was adding the “noooo” at the end. I always thought Vaders head turning to watch Palps barbecue Luke was far more powerful as he said nothing but you just knew the conflict in Vader.

I can’t remember which other bits were changed but that one always stuck out as it ruined the end.

There's so, so, many bad parts to the special eds Drummer.

If you haven't done so already, there's a lad called Harmy that rejigged all the original films into their original state. You can do a search for them and torrent them. I think they're in a grey area of legitimacy, cos they're technically fan edits.

But they're so satisfying. Unfortunately they're only 720p, but they upscale well because their bitrate is decent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The "Harmy's Despecialized Editions" are excellent, and really, the only "true" way to watch the Original Trilogy these days. The ironic thing of course is that the 1990s CGI additions have aged even worse than the original 1977 FX ever did; so we're left with these as the only legally available versions out there. Madness.

I do still love the idea that Jabba the Hutt was originally just some Irish-accented guy in a bunch of furs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ahem

Might I encourage you to look into something called 'Project 4K77'

Harmy is a fine lad but his despecalised editions are more of a recreation than restoration. As true full restorations from original prints scavanged from around the world go.. I don't think you'll find a better copy of the OG trilogy.

https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/

FAQs

Is this an upscale?

No, 97% of project 4K77 is from a single, original 1977 35mm Technicolor release print, scanned at full 4K, cleaned at 4K, and rendered at 4K.

• Advertisement

I've that as well. But TBH, I prefer Harmy's effort. I found the picture to be far more pleasing than the SW774K version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Ah it wasn't even for me, it's the young lad who has never seen it in the cinema. I wouldn't deny him that pleasure. But looks like it's not being shown anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just watched the Aardmann one. Was very funny. Felt very Wallace and Gromit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seem it the 90s in the cinema and that was good enough for me. I woukd never ruin that experience by going to an interior cinema now. I actually think the quality of cinemas over the last two decades has decreased very badly or maybe its just because I am older lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The rumour mill is claiming that Dave Filoni’s crossover movie will feature Han & Leia with Alden Ehrenreich and a new actress.

I don’t know why the people who started the rumour didn’t also claim Luke would be in it.

I doubt it is true though.

I really do want to see some new adventures for the original heroes both in live action and animation and I’m fine with recasting for stories in the years after ROTJ.

So who you folks pick to play a young Luke & Leia in their mid to late 20s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The new dates for the release of the new Star Wars movies are…

May 22nd 2026

December 18th 2026

December 17th 2027.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The High Republic is best thing in contemporary Star Wars bar Andor and the final 4 episodes of Clone Wars.

No surprise when Cavan Scott, Claudia Gray and Charles Soule are involved - they're the 3 people id trust with Star Wars stories going forward personally.

Can't wait for Phase 3, I enjoyed "prequel Phase 2" (particularly Path of Vengeance & the comic "The Nameless Terror") but carrying on with majority of the characters from Phase 1 is what I'm looking forward to.

I enjoyed the Thrawn Ascendancy trilogy aswell- read somewhere Filoni liaised with Zahn for Ashoka series but we'll see, Filoni has a habit of ignoring the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results, hmmm

Donald Glover and his brother Stephen have come on board and are developing the Lando series for Disney+ and Lucasfilm after the previous show runner left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damnit Disney, has Obi Wan and Boba Fett not taught you anything? Donald Glover is a very talented artist so there's a chance, but while Andor itself was the exception it's increasingly proving to be the exception of the rule.

It's astonishing. It's like there's a selection of sweets in front of Disney execs and they continually ignore strawberry, caramel and chocolate in favour of the rank smell of rotten fish flavoured sweet that everyone else knows is a bad idea.

I suspect here the presence of Glover is keeping it alive; can't imagine if it didn't have a fairly well respected and successful artist it would still be alive. Mind you, may yet be killed off given Bob Iver's recent comments about Disney's output

Can't say I've ever been that impressed by Mr. Childish. He was just alright in 'Solo', but there's a film that's the very definition of something that should never have gotten past the original idea stage. Someone with a bit of sense should have vetoed that on day one.

The issue here with this is, yet again, Disney are going back to the well and drawing up OT characters and their history with them has been appalling, to say the very least. Plus, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to see Ehrenreich back as Han Solo, which is almost inevitably going to happen if this goes ahead.

Oh yeah fundamentally this is about Disney apparently incapable of learning lessons - though like I said Iger seems to indicate the saturation might be lessening soon, so this project may yet be a dead prequel walking. Mind you, with the Strike active nothing's happening either way, so the entropy of enthusiasm may yet kill this.

• Advertisement

If this all gets in the way of that Community movie supposedly in the works, I'll be miffed.

Who the F even wants a Lando movie? Who's gonna be fooled after ... how many Legacy Sequels have flopped at this stage? Bob's Fett, Solo, Obi Wan, Indiana Jones... oh but this time the Lando movie will strike gold 🙄😆

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was sure it started as a movie back when Solo released then moved to a Disney+ series when they started doing those. So is it set to be a theatrical movie or Disney+ movie?

When will they fucking learn?

You'd think Indy 5's utter failure would have had a cooling, chastening effect on these Legacy adaptations, yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Is there no scope for a Leia prequel at this point? It could involve some early Empire dominance and how the rebel resistance was formed and the catalyst behind it. I respect that this was touched on with the Death Star plans movie, but I think that is where the future movie production lies.

The main problem the franchise faces is that the storylines require elaboration away from bad vs good. Some of the best concepts derive from what enabled certain motives behind the " bad guys " .

It would be a brave move, but a metaphorical satire on imperialism delivered through the eyes of a hard working family orientated Storm Trooper, with a wife and kids, would be potentially ground breaking and would cast a new perspective on the modern dynamics and reality of war.

Given that its most loyal audience would be all well over 45 years old, it would be an inspiring move and could work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Andor is covering a lot of this ground. And very well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

A new Star Wars movie focused on Rey would be so cool.

We hear that it may happen, Rey teaches a new apprentice how to fight, and how to use the force. Would be even better if the new apprentice turns out to be LGBTQ.

Disney has been at the fore, in portraying strong non male lead characters for the last while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

Then the apprentice turns on her, destroys her temple and she buggers off to an island, depressed and cuts herself off from the force. I mean, it's entirely possible. People change in the space of 15 years, after all.

The Rey movie is facing an uphill battle from the off. Half of the Star Wars fanbase despise the sequels and have little to no interest in anything related to them, and certainly not for anything that comes after them. That's a lot of people, in the fanbase that it's aimed at, not paying any money to see your movie. Unless they can make it for around 100-150m it's going to flop, hard, and we all know Disney don't make "cheap" movies with their acquired IP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

A Lando prequel movie, not sure what they smoked in that pipe but given Solo was a flop, do they seriously think Lando would be a sleeper hit or what.

Re: Rey movie, Rise of Skywalker was so bad it killed my interest in that timeline stone dead. Daisy Ridley is good as Rey but that's about it. I consider the shows, prequels and OT canon but I find it hard to consider the sequel trilogy as anything other than bad fanfiction. To be fair Book of Boba Fett is also pretty bad and they really did the character dirty with that.

They should just make a new trilogy set 100 years in the future and take it a new direction. The sequel trilogy had the potential to be good but the lack of planning and rehashing turned it into an incoherent mess.

The Last Jedi was an oil and water mix of fantastic and awful, but at least Rian Johnson had the balls to reject the memberberries and try and move on to bigger things and better themes. I respect him very much for that at least.

If he had made the third film we would have gotten a decent trilogy overall.

• Advertisement

Rey will entirely depend on the script. How many of us rolled out eyes at Andor, initially cynical about it being a prequel to a character broadly forgettable? I know I did, and sure look how wrong that sniffing turned out to be.

Though increasingly Andor seems like the exception proving the rule. Tony Gilroy was always a helluva jammy get; plus a TV series probably had way more latitude than yet another product from the blockbuster mould. And at least a Rey movie shows some willingness to actually move on from the Skywalker stuff - assuming you decide to ignore Episode IX's revelations that is lol.

Advertisement