Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Acolyte trailer drops tomorrow.

Series starts June 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Really cool teaser image, but unless it gets wildly positive reviews, I'll be staying well clear of this. The past couple of Star Wars projects were rough, to say the least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Andor increasingly feels like the exception that proves the rule; and about the only project with a degree of maturity and competence behind the wheel. Couple that with my most hated aspect of the SW universe - the po-faced Jedi - and it'll take a hum-dinger of a trailer + some trusted, positive reviews before I take a punt on this.

If it's just another series of emotionally constipated Jedi standing in a room with a Volume-powered background, then ... ehhhhhh. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm almost sure I've read that they'll be use the volume on this one too, but with some location shooting as well.

The creation of the volume has been both a blessing and a curse. I appreciate how great it's been for excellently integrating people into incredible CGI sets (which often don't look like sets at all). But then it can also make a lot of shots feel quite clostriphobic and lacking in dramatic scope, with characters all huddled quite close together in the scene because of the physical limitation of space inside the stage.

Clearly it makes a huge difference how the scenes are directed and blocked. Directors either have to get used to the tech and play to it's strengths, or try and limit it's use where possible (still hard to beat actual physical sets and proper location shooting!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, agreed: presumably you gotta limit the camera angles, keeping them flat and straight, or else you run the risk of the backdrops looking more obviously like a 2D screen. Equally, I presume the flat lighting is because you can't have spotlights etc. throwing light onto those LED screens either.

When used smartly it has looked fabulous - this fight I believe was done used Volume - yet instead it has become a bit of a crutch; witness a huge portion of Season 3 of Mandalorian with its drab, flat looking scenes on the Planet of the Bucketheads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Carrie Ann Moss bringing some Matrix vibes there...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm excited to see some Star Wars that can't be hijacked by cartoon characters.

Yup, this is gonna have to wait for some review 'cos just not seeing enough to make me in the slightest bit interested, for all the reasons mentioned. It's a good idea to set the thing way back in the past, so that it at least gives the story a bit of creative license, but blergh, 'effin Jedis man.

And it's such a silly small thing but the fact Obi-Wan's then obviously desert-hobo clothes from Episode IV are now the de'facto Jedi uniform is just ... again. Blergh. Even their clothes are drab and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh dear this looks like more of the same crap.

Was wondering why there were so many female characters and then I remembered who the director was.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Looks terrible - like all the other Star Wars Disney has churned out recently, with the exception of Andor (which didn’t use the volume I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Acolyte didnt use The Volume

While speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, showrunner Leslye Headland opened up about the new Star Wars series, which had its first trailer debut today. Headland confirmed that her new series, which was shot mainly in the UK, wouldn’t be utilizing the Volume. “We did a lot of our [filming] practically in London,” Headland noted. “We didn’t use the Volume at all, so it was a lot of prepping for the show.”

Still think it will be terrible though.

Saw some scuttlebutt that the Daisy Ridley Rey movie was being canned; that the script has to be started from scratch after a tonne of studio notes and Steven Knight is close to walking.

Between the movies and TV flopping about, and other mad stuff like the Star Wars Hotel being such a collosal failure (can't blame Kathleen Kennedy for that mess), you really do gotta wonder what Disney are doing with this IP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So they still can't have an overall outline of a story?

Sounds like Knight was writing a treatment, but the Studio Notes were so many he had to start from scratch, and he's getting frustrated. IIRC he's meant to helm a Peaky Blinders film so the rest of the scuttlebutt suggests he's about to jump ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ohhhh yes. A "cruise ship" experience where you were locked into a LARP roleplay starship for 2 nights, at a truly insane cost - and it was by and large a shítshow. It closed last year after only 3 years being open. Disney haven't a clue how to do Star Wars.

It's 4 hours(!!!) long but YouTuber Jenny Nicholson went to, and did a broad autopsy of, the whole thing. It's well worth a listen, cos it breaks down the sheer gall of Disney to charge Luxury cruise ship prices for something that wasn't even on par with Disney's own, actual cruise ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

God…the amount of insincere, corporate, trash that's in that video is just puke inducing. I think Disney are close to being the absolute epitome of that faceless, lying, money grubbing, cliche that's often levelled at American businesses.

The cringe is real.

The level of half àssery also suggests a gigantic amount of hubris: that Disney felt they could charge exorbitant prices, offer something less than an actual cruise ship gives you, and the fans would clamour to visit. The charm offensive with the shills to make it seem like the fans are into it.

Didn't think I'd watch the 4 hours but it just kept getting worse and more miserable. And that video was an experience for an "influencer"... and she notes two occasions where once Disney twigged she had clout they suddenly helped her out after total silence. Imagine shelling out 6 grand for a tiny room and all you did was play games less complex than Candy Crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've lost half the morning listening to that kid rip this farce apart. But there's just something so car crashy about Disney's disastrous handling of anything Star Wars related. It really is by sheer luck that anything of quality comes of of it.

It's staggering the amount of money that they were asking for this thing and equally staggering that there were people willing to fork it out. Thousands pissed away for an overly ambitious, sub-par, "cruise" that never went anywhere. The sheer price of that room her and her friend stayed in is enough to make my eyes water and the two girls seemed have more craic messing about on that wheeled pouffe than anything else.

I'll admit, though, some of the decor and surroundings looked quite well done. But well done for a restaurant or something, where you'd go for a meal for a couple of hours and get a little kick out of eating out with some sci-fi shit that vaguely resembles something Star Wars. But as a place to stay for an extended period? My god.

It really is saddening to see what has happened to the whole Star Wars thing over the last 10 years. Makes you feel almost ashamed to admit you like some of the old movies these days when you see the uber empty, soulless, corporate nature of it all now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It all seems half-arsed even by theme park standards. Increasing money-grubbing aside (I mean, it is the pure manifestation of modern capitalism), a Disneyland trip does tend to provide a genuine spectacle and event for families. Even Galaxy's Edge sounds quite impressive in some ways, QR app and overpriced lightsaber shite aside. But that much money for what seems like a themed restaurant, a small room and a few awkward theatrical scenes seemed to destined to fail. And, of course, fail it did.

Though above all, being seated in front of a pillar is such an hilariously bleak punchline.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Advertisement