Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Personally I'm on board with this. I quite liked Cassian as a character , thinly drawn tho he was, and could easily see myself watching a show where we see his grunts eye view of the rebellion. So long as ,as Tony just said, they don't water down Cassian character, he's a killer and a man with a lot of 'greater good' collateral damage on his conscience.

It is a prequel 'AGAIN' so people will moan about that with some justification, but id imagine anything post TLJ is ring fenced for feature films so we're left with either prequels to TFA or prequels to ANH to play around in. People could rightly argue that if they are going to do prequels they should do something in the KOTOR era, but is any of that lore considered canon anymore ? TBH even if it is I reckon Disney are too scared/don't give the fans enough credit to move things to an era so remote that the enemies ships won't have that iconic arrow tip shape . I think they reckon we need those visual touchstones for it to feel like Star Wars to us so are reluctant to move away from the OT era.

I think that is what the Game of Thrones showrunners have signed on to do. That is something I look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

they don't water down Cassian character, he's a killer and a man with a lot of 'greater good' collateral damage on his conscience.

Thats just what i see them doing, how he is in Rogue one will be their end game. They can give him any generic good guy persona going into this, and the events hes hit with to mold him are what they will focus on i bet, him not making a tough decisions, or trying to do whats good and people getting killed.
    Falthyron wrote: »
    I think that is what the Game of Thrones showrunners have signed on to do. That is something I look forward to.

As much as i have loved Game of thrones, that doesnt raise my hopes very high as it should.. to me the last season or two have been fairly predictable and generic, ever since they ran out of the books material to lay the road. On top of that, Disney are a completely different beast to HBO in terms of quality.As we have witnessed, Disney will churn out any old shite, where HBO have high standards, from what I've seen anyway :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah HBO can churn out some awful rubbish too, they just hide it better with lots of sex & violence. But anyway, enough about Game of Thrones ;)

After Solo, I'd definitely see how things pan out first; I guess the decision has been to pause the cinematic productions and focus on TV adaptations, but that's not to say the same couldn't happen were the TV shows to bomb. This is certainly unexplored territory Star Wars. I've suggested a TV show might be the better avenue to take than an endless sequence of blockbusters - we'll find out if the audience will follow Disney.

nix wrote: »
    As much as i have loved Game of thrones, that doesnt raise my hopes very high as it should.. to me the last season or two have been fairly predictable and generic, ever since they ran out of the books material to lay the road. On top of that, Disney are a completely different beast to HBO in terms of quality.As we have witnessed, Disney will churn out any old shite, where HBO have high standards, from what I've seen anyway :pac:

Oh, I completely agree about the downward spiral in quality Game of Thrones is experiencing since the showrunners overtook the storyline in the books, but there is a lot of material on the Old Republic out there. Moreover, Disney take a very laissez faire attitude when it comes to lore and and what is considered canon when money/popularity is involved - Thrawn being a good example. The recent struggles should propel them to 'give the fans what they want', imo. That would mean engaging with the vast Old Republic library and produce a solid trilogy surrounding Darth Revan and Malak.

Hell, it would also be great if Disney allowed Weiss and Benioff to, you know, actually write the trilogy before they start filming. What a novel idea that would be! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Cheeriness on a Friday there Tony :)

Happy Friday, it's official...and the rest if my day is clear. Woohoo!!!
    From the structure of a character's journey, there's a finality to Andor's story that renders this new backfilling feel like an exercise in futility, a bit of a waste.

Perhaps. But, Andor is an open book unlike, say Han Solo, who's prequel was a terrible idea. So, while we know he's brown bread on Scarif, there's a lot still to tell. I hope Alan Tudyk returns too.

But, yeh, I get what you mean and agree somewhat. But, given the mess that Disney have made of this stuff so far. I'll take it.
    IMO a good prequel can work as a form of character polyfilla; something that, when written well, might enrich an ongoing journey once the timeline swings back to the 'present day' of the narrative. Especially useful if the character came of a little one-note in - say - the cinematic production they first appeared in :)

Like a 'Better Call Saul' of the Star Wars universe? 'Better Call Cassian', if you want any informers shot in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

There are far worse characters than Cassian Andor to base a TV series on. Plus obviously we get to see new characters too. I just like the idea of espionage in the Star Wars universe. Hopefully we get to see characters who are in that grey area where they can do good but aren't afraid to kill someone in cold blood too. I might be hoping for a bit too much there but we did get a hint of it with Cassian in Rogue One so fingers crossed.

I get the concern over watching a series based on a redundant character but look at the prequels...is there much of a difference in that sense between Cassian and the likes of Obi Wan and Anakin? We actually knew the basic outline of their story before Lucas even started on the script. We know next to nothing about this lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭buried

Suppose they have to make it a TV show because if they actually made a film of that character it would probably make around 10 euros at the box office.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I hate this whole going back to the well crap, particularly with characters that were completely unforgettable and made little to no memorable impact in the first place! I mean...couldn't they have just chosen another nameless character that we can grow to root for, and ponder at his or her fate throughout the whole affair - where will they end up? What role, if any, would they have played in the background of the OT? And so on.

I'm not saying I won't watch it as it could be a good insight into an interesting part of the SW lore, but I'm entirely 100% devoid of even the faintest scrap of enthusiasm about the choice of primary character. I didn't care about him pre-Rogue One, I didn't care about him during Rogue One, and I certainly don't care about him or his backstory now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,969 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kathleen Kennedy Confirms Lucasfilm Is “Developing Something To Look At” Regarding Fan-Favorite ‘Knights Of The Old Republic’
    Whenever a new “Star Wars” project is hinted at, whether it be a spin-off film or TV series, pretty much the first question you’ll hear from fans is “Will it be ‘Knights of the Old Republic?’” When Rian Johnson was announced as developing a trilogy of his own, fans asked about ‘Old Republic.’ Same for the announcement that DB Weiss and David Benioff are developing films. Disney+ doing live-action “Star Wars” series? “Oh, I wonder if it’s ‘Knights of the Old Republic?’” Well fans, you should be excited because Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed that the creative minds at Lucasfilm are looking at the ‘Old Republic’ story for potential projects. So, can you stop asking about it?

Speaking to MTV at Star Wars Celebration, Kennedy was asked if any of the new projects were related to “Knights of the Old Republic?”

“You know we talk about [‘Knights of the Old Republic’] all the time,” Kennedy said. “Yes, we are developing something to look at. Right now, I have no idea where things fall, but we have to be careful that there is a cadence to ‘Star Wars’ that doesn’t start to feel like too much.”

Now, the “Star Wars” fans out there will take that quote and run with it, exclaiming that the studio is for sure, without a doubt, most definitely, 100% making a “Knights of the Old Republic” trilogy that will come out in 2022. But honestly, what Kennedy says is far less committal than that. Sure, Lucasfilm knows fans want ‘Old Republic’ stories, but all she says is they are “developing something to look at.” That’s far from a confirmation.

Also, later in the interview, she says that they’re always looking for ways to expand the film franchise, but have to be careful about oversaturation. And if you really read between the lines, it sounds like Kennedy is saying that ‘Knights of the Old Republic’ is something that would exist outside of the “next 10 years” that Weiss, Benioff, and Johnson are plotting out now.

https://theplaylist.net/star-wars-knights-old-republic-20190417/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So we know now the schedule / timeline for Disney's future Star Wars films: after Rise of Skywalker in late 2019, there will be a new Star Wars film every other December starting in 2022. No details on exactly what those films will be, but I'm presuming this is the closest thing we'll get to a franchise hiatus from the Mouse House...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭tigger123

So we know now the schedule / timeline for Disney's future Star Wars films: after Rise of Skywalker in late 2019, there will be a new Star Wars film every other December starting in 2022. No details on exactly what those films will be, but I'm presuming this is the closest thing we'll get to a franchise hiatus from the Mouse House...

Is it too early do you think to start sh*tting on these films? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

does anyone really care :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They presumedly aren't going to do one trilogy/series at a time, so I guess this means a 4 year gap between the first two entries in each respective trilogy. So if Rian's first film is in 2022, his second will be in 2026.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

They presumedly aren't going to do one trilogy/series at a time, so I guess this means a 4 year gap between the first two entries in each respective trilogy. So if Rian's first film is in 2022, his second will be in 2026.

That much sounds promising at least, giving Johnson ample time to develop each film, if he does direct all three.

The way GoT is shaping up I wouldn’t have much confidence in those guys crafting an original work.

silverharp wrote: »
    does anyone really care :pac:

Fans of the franchise, Disney shareholders, people who own cinemas. So yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Would it not be more likely (and wiser) that they'll stick to one story at a time? 4 years is also a long time to wait between parts of a trilogy/series these days.

I know there was already confusion among my more casual cinema going friends as to how the recent sequel and prequel releases fit together – with Episode 7, then prequel to Episode 4, then Episode 8, then some heist movie set some other time.

I think they'd be wise to avoid that going forward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Goodshape wrote: »
    Would it not be more likely (and wiser) that they'll stick to one story at a time? 4 years is also a long time to wait between parts of a trilogy these days.

I know there was already confusion among my more casual cinema going friends as to how the recent sequel and prequel releases fit together – with Episode 7, then prequel to Episode 4, then Episode 8, then some heist movie set some other time.

I think they'd be wise to avoid that going forward.

They can't really ask, say, the GOT guys to sit on the sidelines for the next 10 years while Johnson makes his trilogy. Also there's no guarantee that the first of their respective films will be successful enough to justify direct follow-ups.

Also, just because there's a 4 year gap between the first two films of their respective trilogies/series, doesn't mean there has to be a 4 year gap between the second and third films. The gap might shorten to 2-3 years once they feel confident with the direction, i.e. we may be back to one SW film every year before long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have felt a disturbance in the force,........ Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy.... cancelled...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭El Duda

I've said all along that he will not make that trilogy. So obvious. You can't make a Star Wars film that pisses off half of the fan base and get away with it.

I think it would be funnier if Disney told him he was still making his trilogy but after the first film is finished, they announce that M. Knight. Shyamalam will be doing the second one, leaving RJ to pick up the pieces in the third film. See how he likes it.

I'm either super blind, or else none of my usual pop-culture outlets are reporting anything about Johnson; what's the source for this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm either super blind, or else none of my usual pop-culture outlets are reporting anything about Johnson; what's the source for this?

There’s no source - from what I can see just a random YouTuber and clickbait site throwing out baseless speculation. Same as it ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

They're definitely going with a trilogy. We know that a few standalones were cancelled after Solo underperformed, so I would guess that their new approach is to focus on some Disney+ TV projects on an ongoing basis, and then allow a 3-year break for a new trilogy unconnected to the current one.

Disney is extreeeeeemely risk-averse and reactive to any fan discontent. Despite whatever Kathleen Kennedy might say about inclusivity etc, Disney will want the most hardcore SW fans onside for a new trilogy and not let RJ back outside of a 'consultancy' role on anything, considering the divisive reaction to TLJ.

If I were a betting man, I would absolutely say D&D's trilogy is alive and Rian Johnson's is dead. But they'll spin it to make it sound like RJ will have some say in how it will be shaped.

Disney is extreeeeeemely risk-averse and reactive to any fan discontent. Despite whatever Kathleen Kennedy might say about inclusivity etc, Disney will want the most hardcore SW fans onside for a new trilogy and not let RJ back outside of a 'consultancy' role on anything, considering the divisive reaction to TLJ.

It cancelled the stand alone movies largely because Solo flopped. The Last Jedi, on the other hand, made lots of money. The producers of Star Wars have every reason to work with Johnson again, chief being he made them a movie that earned healthy profits. They won’t care about angry fanboys complaining about “gender politics” and so on (many of the same criticisms were leveled at The Force Awakens). I think a lot of the frustration and anger coming from these guys was down to a realization that they couldn’t hit the movie where it would hurt—the box office—because their age and gender cohort are no longer the main one determining what becomes a blockbuster hit.

If we're speculating wildly, then it's equally valid to suggest that Johnson's still in the good books and Disney know they need only give pause before the histrionics die down, after which they can lett Johnson make his movies. And it will die down; I don't imagine Last Jedi will ever not be a source of argument / discussion, but the screaming "worst film Eva!!11!!" types will move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It cancelled the stand alone movies largely because Solo flopped. The Last Jedi, on the other hand, made lots of money. The producers of Star Wars have every reason to work with Johnson again, chief being he made them a movie that earned healthy profits. They won’t care about angry fanboys complaining about “gender politics” and so on (many of the same criticisms were leveled at The Force Awakens). I think a lot of the frustration and anger coming from these guys was down to a realization that they couldn’t hit the movie where it would hurt—the box office—because their age and gender cohort are no longer the main one determining what becomes a blockbuster.

Yes, but Solo's flopping wasn't an isolated incident. Some fans were still raw in their reaction to TLJ and Disney's mistake in releasing another SW movie six months later was telegraphed by the late debut of Solo's original teaser. I'm not defending them btw - I thought TLJ was fine.

But if we acknowledge that TLJ was divisive among the fanbase (and Mark Hamill!), you have to look at it from Disney's side. They're only in the business of predictable returns for franchises that they can keep going for as long as possible, without any blowback or setbacks. TLJ made a lot of money - as it was always going to considering it was a sequel to the highest-grossing movie ever in the US - but a lot of fans had problems with them and were vocal about it. Some were incredibly toxic fans, but others were not (like Hamill).

Disney is not interested in standing by some auteur's vision for SW and I believe they will throw RJ under the bus and spin it accordingly when they announce D&D's trilogy. Look what happened when Lorde and Miller tried something different for Solo, just like RJ did with TLJ. They are interested in hired hand directors and placid fanbases to keep this train rolling.

It cancelled the stand alone movies largely because Solo flopped. The Last Jedi, on the other hand, made lots of money. The producers of Star Wars have every reason to work with Johnson again, chief being he made them a movie that earned healthy profits. They won’t care about angry fanboys complaining about “gender politics” and so on (many of the same criticisms were leveled at The Force Awakens). I think a lot of the frustration and anger coming from these guys was down to a realization that they couldn’t hit the movie where it would hurt—the box office—because their age and gender cohort are no longer the main one determining what becomes a blockbuster hit.

The vast majority of critical opinions from fans and non-fans alike, didn't include this. Trying to boil it down to such a limited bracket is a bit disingenuous, to say the least.

And, once again, the BO take is NEVER a valid argument on the quality of a film, or audience appreciation. Many, many, people buy tickets to see movies and walk out of them with a negative critical view.

It has been confirmed that the 2022 film, the first after Episode IX, will be helmed by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (aka, the ones to thank for your FB/Twitter feed being flooded with Game of Thrones hysteria).

It has been confirmed that the 2022 film, the first after Episode IX, will be helmed by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (aka, the ones to thank for your FB/Twitter feed being flooded with Game of Thrones hysteria).

They do well when they have voluminous and excellent source material, so let's hope the writers at Obsidian Entertainment, BioWare, and George Lucas did a stellar job in the writing department or Benioff and Weiss will make Rian Johnson look like Orson Welles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Johnson and Benioff and Weiss are working together, in tandem on their Star Wars projects and the two series are interconnected.

In an interview with EW at Celebration Chicago, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy provided an update on the next slate of Star Wars movies. She revealed that Benioff & Weiss are more or less collaborating with Johnson at this point:

‘As they finish Game of Thrones, they’re going to segue into Star Wars. They’re working very closely with Rian.

Future Benioff/Weiss And Rian Johnson Trilogies To Be Developed In Tandem, Feature Film Hiatus Confirmed

Look up Star Wars News net for the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Every comment and interview before their release scheduled can be ignored. They stay the course until official announcements are made, or their stock get's hit with each comment about how many billion dollar movies they've coming.

Iger said it was Benioff & Weiss for the next 3, and Johnson's name would have been dropped if he had been part of it. He could have another trilogy in 2028 past what's already announced but it doesn't look like he's working on this.

• Advertisement

I’d say it might well be B&W are doing the writing and Johnson is doing the directing
    Last Jedi had complaints but not one of them was about direction or visual stuff. It a beauty and a powerhouse visually.

Johnson is a writer-director. I don't see him handing over the writing duties. I suppose all three could collaborate on the script assuming they are prepared to combine whatever separate ideas they have. But for Disney that involves putting a lot of eggs in one basket and puts a lot of pressure on everyone to make the sequel in the 2 year gap. And what happens if the film is another Solo? They'd have to cancel the sequel and push back the 2024 release date while they scrambled to make a different film. Then again they had Michael Arndt waste a year supposedly writing a whole trilogy only for JJ to chuck it out and write a new script in 6 weeks followed by multiple delays. So I think we should probably ignore these 2022 etc release dates since they are just placeholders and subject to change.

If Johnson was involved it would have been mentioned, Iger only said Benioff & Weiss.

Went under the radar but also announced yesterday a third live action series coming to the Disney streaming service. So that’s the Mandalorian, the Cassian Andor series and untitled one. Obi wan perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Relikk

As long as the two new trilogies don't interfere with the established timelines (PT, OT and ST), then I'm all for them and I'm excited to see what they come up with. Especially Benioff and Weiss' efforts if the rumours about the Old Republic are true, and even if they're not. Also, as long as they don't rush the script, taking their time to weed out any rubbish humour and preventing the introduction of nonsensical character decisions, it should be interesting.

With GOT fans petitioning to have the final season remade, I guess it's only a matter of time until SW fans start demanding that B&W be removed from SW. At least Johnson and B&W will have lots in common.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This business of petitioning to have something remade is completely lame.

Sometimes life gives you lemons. Get over it.

With GOT fans petitioning to have the final season remade, I guess it's only a matter of time until SW fans start demanding that B&W be removed from SW. At least Johnson and B&W will have lots in common.

The criticism comes from quite different camps, I think. The remake TLJ brigade mostly seem like anti-SJW dickheads. The strongest hate towards GoT I’ve seen online
    has come from fans who appear to regard Dany as an iconic strong female character, that the showrunners are destroying in favor of Jon (while neglecting to note they had Arya save the day at Winterfell, and have been setting Sansa up as the most competent leader for at least 2 seasons).

Though after what has happened with both Star Wars and GoT, I’m impressed Disney has managed to keep basically everyone happy with Marvel after a decade of releasing multiple installments per year.

Relikk wrote: »
    As long as the two new trilogies don't interfere with the established timelines (PT, OT and ST), then I'm all for them

The Mandalorian won't, because we haven't seen any of that period, unless some of the EU is counted and not even Disney does that. Cassian Andor might have some knock on effects, but not if they can keep from farting around with the original characters from 1977.

But, a Kenobi TV show will absolutely have a detrimental affect on the original storyline, unless it's 10 episodes of him sitting on his own in his hut and trying to keep a low profile. If it involves spectacular adventures and run ins with the Empire, it'll all look a bit stupid, when the original 'Star Wars' is taken into account.

• Advertisement

With GOT fans petitioning to have the final season remade,

Oh FFS :rolleyes:

This is just dumb.

I've yet to hear a cogent set of arguments on why 'Game of Thrones' is so "bad" now. I haven't seen 8 yet, so it may be absolute shite. But this nerdy bollocks talk has been floating around for a while and it only stems from a binary RRM involved=good and RRM not involved=bad.

It's nonsense and GoT remains one of the finest examples of modern TV that's available. It's been consistently good since it started, slight flaws and all.

Is there anyone who'd like to see abeloth brought int from the EU?
    Father, Son, and Daughter are already cannon.

Rather they go way before the movies or way after as they'll have more freedom.

Tony EH wrote: »

This is just dumb.

I've yet to hear a cogent set of arguments on why 'Game of Thrones' is so "bad" now. I haven't seen 8 yet, so it may be absolute shite. But this nerdy bollocks talk has been floating around for a while and it only stems from a binary RRM involved=good and RRM not involved=bad.

It's nonsense and GoT remains one of the finest examples of modern TV that's available. It's been consistently good since it started, slight flaws and all.

It comes down to a subset of over-invested fans still getting upset when, in a show famous for pulling the rug from underneath, proceeded to pull the rug from underneath. There are level headed suggestions that the latest "they did NOT just do that" moment is bad writing, there are many others losing their nut because of whatever weird psychological compunction imbues that other subset with aggressive entitlement.

As someone who doesn't (anymore) think it's one of the finest examples of modern TV, I'll be glad when it's over and people can shut the f*ck up about it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Really?

Jesus how sad are some people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tony EH wrote: »

Before I state the following I need to stress in no uncertain terms that modern online fandoms are largely horrible, remake petitions are embarrassing, and creatives should never really listen to fans about the direction any given film or show should go.

But as someone who's only ever thought Game of Thrones was at best 'pretty good' and far away from the best modern TV has to offer (god, I remember how weak the last season seemed when it was broadcasting at the same time as the transcendent Twin Peaks)... the writing in the past two seasons, this one in particular, has been pretty poor by the standards of what has come before. Even as someone with not much connection to the show beyond enjoying it as a Monday treat, I've been disappointed with the way they've rushed through the last couple of episodes, neglecting characters in the process. I think it's still capable of incredible spectacle and season's eight quietest, most uneventful episode is possibly even my favourite of the entire run. But they've fairly shat the bed in other respects and IMO much of the more reasonable criticism (i.e. not the shrieking hysteria) is perfectly fair and wholly justified.

Certainly doesn't make me particularly enthused about what Weiss and Benioff will do with Star Wars... but hey, will give them the benefit of the doubt until the third film where they inevitably rush through major plot developments for a well foreshadowed and yet eerily unconvincing resolution :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Really?

Jesus how sad are some people.

*scrolls through this and every other Star Wars thread*

large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,969 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Han fired first now there is a petition I'd sign.

It comes down to a subset of over-invested fans still getting upset when, in a show famous for pulling the rug from underneath, proceeded to pull the rug from underneath. There are level headed suggestions that the latest "they did NOT just do that" moment is bad writing, there are many others losing their nut because of whatever weird psychological compunction imbues that other subset with aggressive entitlement.

As someone who doesn't (anymore) think it's one of the finest examples of modern TV, I'll be glad when it's over and people can shut the f*ck up about it. :D

Well, for me that runs across several things at present, including Star Wars.
    Before I state the following I need to stress in no uncertain terms that modern online fandoms are largely horrible, remake petitions are embarrassing, and creatives should never really listen to fans about the direction any given film or show should go.

But as someone who's only ever thought Game of Thrones was at best 'pretty good' and far away from the best modern TV has to offer (god, I remember how weak the last season seemed when it was broadcasting at the same time as the transcendent Twin Peaks)...

Ah well, sure there's no accounting for taste. :pac:
    ...the writing in the past two seasons, this one in particular, has been pretty poor by the standards of what has come before. Even as someone with not much connection to the show beyond enjoying it as a Monday treat, I've been disappointed with the way they've rushed through the last couple of episodes, neglecting characters in the process. I think it's still capable of incredible spectacle and season's eight quietest, most uneventful episode is possibly even my favourite of the entire run. But they've fairly shat the bed in other respects and IMO much of the more reasonable criticism (i.e. not the shrieking hysteria) is perfectly fair and wholly justified.

There have been some dodgy parts to 'Game of Thrones' without a doubt, but I've yet to see any TV show that hasn't got dodgy parts. But, genuinely, it's been a show that I've been continually entertained by since it started and that cannot be said for much else.

Like yourself, I have no connection to it, other than a show I watch. I'm not even a fan of that kind of "Tolkien lite" type of fantasy. I couldn't care less about R.R. Martin. So, I don't have to white knight it or anything and I don't lose any sleep about stuff that people don't like. But the negative "criticism" of the show has been fairly hazy to say the least. It's usually "it's bad", or "it's crap now", etc, without offering anything of more substance.

Possibly the worst thing they did was that
    John Snow's dead/Ah no he's not
    crap. Have to say that really bugged me. But then
    'The Walking Dead' pulled that shite as well.

As I said, though, I have yet to see 8. So may over all appreciation of it may change once that happens.
    Certainly doesn't make me particularly enthused about what Weiss and Benioff will do with Star Wars... but hey, will give them the benefit of the doubt until the third film where they inevitably rush through major plot developments for a well foreshadowed and yet eerily unconvincing resolution :pac:

I am far, far, more enthused about them being involved in a Star Wars thing than Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams. ;)

Again, though, that may be subject to change once I've seen what they've done. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭tigger123

I read yesterday that this season of GOT had 30 odd million viewers per episode (not including illegal streams). So the 500k signatures on a childish petition is really of no significance.

With the interwebs, Twitter etc this kind of toxic fandom can find an audience of like minded individuals in a way that it couldn't do before. As a result, these vocal minorities are over represented, retweeted, discussed and written about.

That’s a bit extreme; there are plenty of examples of positive fandom online. It’s just the toxic fans and silly petitions are the ones that make headlines.

And reacting to audience feedback is by no means always a bad thing. The Sand Snakes were written out of GoT because they were an unpopular addition. Midichlorians were quietly dropped after being widely mocked when The Phantom Menace was released (it didn’t help the subsequent films much, but it was a start). I would say creators shouldn’t change the direction the work takes simply because of negative fan reaction, but they should be open to being persuaded by arguments from fans or critics that the direction they are taking is not good. Like nowadays a lot of issues with sexism or racism in a work are highlighted by fans online, in cases where the creator may not be conscious of them.

That toxicity has appeared in everything I’m a fan of. And It’s the same thing all the time. Anti women, sjw, cuck, etc etc. Always the same script and attack.
    I wonder who these people are. And where. I do believe a lot of it is manufactured and coming from Russia. Demonstrably so in a lot of ways in the the case of Star Wars.
    You get someone like Rian Johnson who gets bombarded with abuse every single time he tweets or posts on his Instagram. Daisey Ridly being chased off social media with vitriolic abuse. Or the ongoing never ending complaining about that scene in Endgame.
    Then you look at beniof and weiss and see that they have zero social media presence at all. So I don’t think or buy into the idea that any writing was adjusted to address complaints. In either Star Wars or GOT. Not will it be listened to in future films or series. Why would they listen when fair criticism is completely dwarfed by the deafeningly vocal minority on things like twitter.
    The likes of the frankly disgusting comicsgate crowd.
    I want to believe it’s Russian trolls because if Complaining and hating everything has become a norm and the new zeitgeist, that’s such a depressing thought.

And it will turn off any creatives new or established, wanting to take part in any of the franchises etc we love. Why put up with all that backlash and abuse?
    It wouldn’t be worth it.

I hope it is a phase and I hope it passes soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement