Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into the renting game

Options
  • 06-02-2018 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I have been living at home for the past few years and haven't rented since 2nd year in college but I now have to move for work and I'm finding myself a bit lost as to this whole finding a room to rent thing. When I was in college I was just happy the place had a roof and didn't really do my homework like I should have.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on things I should look out for when viewing rooms in a house share (would checking all the hob rings/shower works be odd?) Or questions I should ask when viewing?

Also when I do find a place I should transfer the rent+deposit to secure the room via bank transfer and get a receipt right?
    Is there a better way to make sure the person doesn't run off with my money?

Also how long should I expect a viewing to take?

It's outside the major cities so thankfully I won't have to deal with the mass 100 people a viewing or silly things like that

Sorry if these are silly questions, it's just been so long and I want to make sure I do everything right

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I have been living at home for the past few years and haven't rented since 2nd year in college but I now have to move for work and I'm finding myself a bit lost as to this whole finding a room to rent thing. When I was in college I was just happy the place had a roof and didn't really do my homework like I should have.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on things I should look out for when viewing rooms in a house share (would checking all the hob rings/shower works be odd?) Or questions I should ask when viewing?

Sorry if these are silly questions, it's just been so long and I want to make sure I do everything right

When you look at everything, note how clean it is. Ask how good te landlord is with repairs. If you are going for house share the existing tenants will be vetting you, so you need to judge for yourself, when you meet them, how they should be handled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

aaabbbb wrote:

I think you need to be careful about that kind of thing. It could make you look weird and like the previous poster said you're going to be sharing a house with these people so they will be vetting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

4ensic15 wrote:
    When you look at everything, note how clean it is. Ask how good te landlord is with repairs. If you are going for house share the existing tenants will be vetting you, so you need to judge for yourself, when you meet them, how they should be handled.

Some of the viewings I've arranged it seems that the landlord themselves will be showing me the place while the tenants are at work. Is that really unusual?

pilly wrote:
    I think you need to be careful about that kind of thing. It could make you look weird and like the previous poster said you're going to be sharing a house with these people so they will be vetting you.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but some people may be happy to live somewhere where the shower or cooker or whatever doesn't work properly, so I just thought it might be a good idea to make sure for myself? I don't want to seem like a freak though!

Some of the viewings I've arranged it seems that the landlord themselves will be showing me the place while the tenants are at work. Is that really unusual?

!

Not unusual outside Dublin. It is a room letting rather than a group letting. No problem with checking everything in front of the landlord in that case. The problem is, however, there could be any kind of axe wielding maniac living there and you won't know until you have paid your deposit and moved in.

I've seen a house that I like but the landlord (not owner occupied ) is planning on keeping a room for themselves there in the house but says they don't intend staying overnight.
    Is there something sketchy about this that I should avoid like the plague?

I thought they might be trying to avoid tax or use it as a way of kicking people out whenever they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I've seen a house that I like but the landlord (not owner occupied ) is planning on keeping a room for themselves there in the house but says they don't intend staying overnight.

I thought they might be trying to avoid tax or use it as a way of kicking people out whenever they want

May be nothing to worry about. The landlord's tax is not your problem. Find out where the landlord lives, keep records of his use of the room, go in when he is not there and photograph it regularly. If he tries anything, open a dispute with the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

A possible explanation would be that the landlord is using the spare room for storage.

A plausible explanation is that the landlord is "living" there and thus availing of rent a room tax relief. This could also be a way to circumvent RTB rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

May be nothing to worry about. The landlord's tax is not your problem. Find out where the landlord lives, keep records of his use of the room, go in when he is not there and photograph it regularly. If he tries anything, open a dispute with the RTB.

If the landlord then told the RTB that it was infact a licensee agreement and not a tenacy what would happen? Surely the landlord could then evict the 'licensee' immediately with the full backing of the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Also have a look at what rights (less rights) you have as a licensee. I wouldn't rule it out for that reason alone however if everything else is right about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Horusire wrote: »
    If the landlord then told the RTB that it was infact a licensee agreement and not a tenacy what would happen? Surely the landlord could then evict the 'licensee' immediately with the full backing of the law?

The RTB would hear the case and decide for themselves whether it was a lease or a licence. Unless they believed the landlord was living in the house they would find that there was a tenancy.

• Advertisement

My number 1 concern with that would be the landlord then has a valid reason to visit and let himself into the property anytime he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just a LL who thinks he's being smart. Does the yearly rent come just under 14K by any chance?

Horusire wrote: »

These type of arrangements have been specifically dealt with by the RTB who hold that they are tenancies. They've been linked in the forum before IIRC.

They live in cork. The room will be locked.
    Horusire wrote:
    A plausible explanation is that the landlord is "living" there and thus availing of rent a room tax relief. This could also be a way to circumvent RTB rules.

Yeah that's what I was worried about cos I know that licencees have little rights
    pawrick wrote:
    Also have a look at what rights (less rights) you have as a licensee. I wouldn't rule it out for that reason alone however if everything else is right about the place.

My number 1 concern with that would be the landlord then has a valid reason to visit and let himself into the property anytime he wants.

It's prettymuch the only reason I haven't taken it and because I am concerned about them visiting as they like however, I am finding it very difficult to find decent accommodation so I really need to consider my options. The house is immaculate in every other way.
    Just a LL who thinks he's being smart. Does the yearly rent come just under 14K by any chance?

It's only for a room in a regional town so it's way under 14k

Then you're a licensee (probably) and can be asked to leave with little notice. RTB etc. does not apply.

Then you're a licensee (probably) and can be asked to leave with little notice. RTB etc. does not apply.

The landlord won't be living there though

aaabbbb wrote:

So you're not renting the house, you're renting a room?

pilly wrote:
    So you're not renting the house, you're renting a room?

In a house share

aaabbbb wrote:
    In a house share

Okay. Yeah I would agree with others then, avoid it if you can. But I understand it's hard to find accomodation at the moment.

In a house share

There are other tenants? Okay then the RTB etc does apply. You'll gain Part IV rights after six months although the LL is trying to defeat that with this room malarkey.

• Advertisement

There are other tenants? Okay then the RTB etc does apply. You'll gain Part IV rights after six months although the LL is trying to defeat that with this room malarkey.
    If the other tenants are there longer than 6 months, the o/p will get part iv rights immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If the other tenants are there longer than 6 months, the o/p will get part iv rights immediately.

Not correct, it'll be after 6 months as per section 50 of the RTA.

Advertisement