Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adults with imaginary friends

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

myshirt wrote: »
    What about people who are actually real but you just like to imagine they are your friends?

A friend of mine imagined that she was a “close personal friend” of the “hoi polloi” in our medium sized rural town ( the professionals...solicitors, doctors etc.. but the solicitors in particular as I remember).
    She’d been a deserted wife as a young very attractive woman and I think she was very lonely in her later years.
    In reality her admirable attempts at social climbing had failed miserably as they always do.
    She died recently. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

What about people who are actually real but you just like to imagine they are your friends?

or people who you think are your friends but aren't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

That's correct. Another film with an imaginary friend is Harvey starring James Stewart. Harvey was a 6ft white rabbit.

Wake up, professor! And pay attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

What if your friends are just imagining you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

splinter65 wrote: »
    A friend of mine imagined that she was a “close personal friend” of the “hoi polloi” in our medium sized rural town ( the professionals...solicitors, doctors etc.. but the solicitors in particular as I remember).
    She’d been a deserted wife as ah young very attractive woman and I think she was very lonely in her later years.
    In reality her admirable attempts at social climbing had failed miserably as they always do.
    She died recently. RIP.

That sounds really sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I don't know of any kids who had imaginary friends. Suppose I probably do but it's not something you broadcast.

She’d been a deserted wife as a young very attractive woman and I think she was very lonely in her later years.
    She died recently. RIP.

So by saying that about her when she's dead, you weren't really her friend either then, when she perhaps imagined she had.
    That's doubly sad, poor woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I had imaginary enemies as a child. ****ers terrorised me for years with cruel challenges and dares if I didn't complete the dare or the challenge they'd come and get me. **** of the highest order.
    Weird arbitrary rules as well, couldn't change my jumper if I was alone in the house or they'd sneak up on me while I had it over my face. Weird stuff like that.
    Couldn't kill them for years. Eventually somehow it occurred to my overactive and thoroughly pissed off childhood brain that they lived inside a jigsaw puzzle so I set fire to it and a few other things they had a fondness for. God I relished the screams.

That's grand if your a child but an adult who thinks an imaginary person is real? They need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

The greatest friend everyone can have is education. Learning. Doesn't matter what you learn or what age you learn it or when you learn it just as long as you enjoy it. A language, a subject, a sport, a exercise, a creative zone of art or music. To learn. That is the best friend we will ever have. Learning may not be a actual person but it isn't imaginary either. Once you find what you enjoy learning it will entice actual people to be your friend through that real enjoyment you are getting a real Buzz off and have in your zone. Formal education when we are kids kills that enjoyment of learning, makes it a competition, makes it a pain in the arse. Knowledge is power and magic and an actual personal imaginary friend worth having

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    So by saying that about her when she's dead, you weren't really her friend either then, when she perhaps imagined she had.
    That's doubly sad, poor woman.

Are you one of those people who either never mentions a friend again after they’ve died (as if they never existed) or, if you do mention them, rewrites history so that it suddenly appears that they lived a perfectly perfect deliriously happy life?
    Like Facebook?
    Because if anything is sad, it is that.

That sounds really sad.

She was a very sad person. She had a lot of disappointments and disillusionment in her life. And a lot of very bad health in the last 10 years.
    I was glad when it ended for her.

Are you one of those people who either never mentions a friend again after they’ve died (as if they never existed) or, if you do mention them, rewrites history so that it suddenly appears that they lived a perfectly perfect deliriously happy life?
    Like Facebook?
    Because if anything is sad, it is that.

I don't speak ill or complain about my friends behind their back on forums no.
    Even more so, those who have passed away and are not here to defend themselves. But that's because i'm actually their friend.

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    I don't speak ill or complain about my friends behind their back on forums no.
    Even more so, those who have passed away and are not here to defend themselves. But that's because i'm actually their friend.

Ok Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

That girl is you Splinter. Isn't it. Your a ghost.

Advertisement