Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours

Options
  • 07-02-2018 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

A couple of years ago my neighbours installed this super loud air conditioning/heating unit right beside my house, and bedroom window. It is so loud i could feel my bed vibrating when sleeping, and they would have it running from morning throughout the entire night.

At first i tried to deal with it, but when i began working full-time and studying part-time, the noise became too much to bear. I live at home with my parents in a semi-detached, and because it is there house i thought it would be more appropriate if they told our neighbours how much the noise was bothering us.

When we told our neighbours about the noise their response was "Well, we can't hear any noise", but that they will get someone out to fix it. After about 5 months, there was still no changes so when approached them again to which they said "We're still waiting on someone to come out". After a couple of months, they finally got someone out to have a look at it, but instead of turning it off completely at night, it comes on and off every 30 - 40 mins for about 5 minutes throughout the night which would constantly wake me up.

Eventually i just had enough and would bang on their wall or play my TV really loud whenever they had it on, which i do regret now and was just due to being fed up/exhausted. At first, i noticed very quickly the unit was completely turned off at night and thought my problem was finally solved, but now my neighbours have become super bitter and vengeful.

Even though i don't make any noise now they will bang on my wall early in the morning, the husband will mow the garden early, and hammer on my wall or outside my bedroom window even on weekends.

I was wondering if there is anything i can do at this point as i'm running out of options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Yosen wrote: »
    A couple of years ago my neighbours installed this super loud air conditioning/heating unit right beside my house, and bedroom window. It is so loud i could feel my bed vibrating when sleeping, and they would have it running from morning throughout the entire night.

At first i tried to deal with it, but when i began working full-time and studying part-time, the noise became too much to bear. I live at home with my parents in a semi-detached, and because it is there house i thought it would be more appropriate if they told our neighbours how much the noise was bothering us.

When we told our neighbours about the noise their response was "Well, we can't hear any noise", but that they will get someone out to fix it. After about 5 months, there was still no changes so when approached them again to which they said "We're still waiting on someone to come out". After a couple of months, they finally got someone out to have a look at it, but instead of turning it off completely at night, it comes on and off every 30 - 40 mins for about 5 minutes throughout the night which would constantly wake me up.

Eventually i just had enough and would bang on their wall or play my TV really loud whenever they had it on, which i do regret now and was just due to being fed up/exhausted. At first, i noticed very quickly the unit was completely turned off at night and thought my problem was finally solved, but now my neighbours have become super bitter and vengeful.

Even though i don't make any noise now they will bang on my wall early in the morning, the husband will mow the garden early, and hammer on my wall or outside my bedroom window even on weekends.

I was wondering if there is anything i can do at this point as i'm running out of options?

Mediation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Burn their house down?

I'm really not sure what you're looking for here, the only thing you can do is talk to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Yosen wrote:

Seems you escalated it, when you should have asked them around to your home to let them feel the discomfort you do. Try and talk to them, explain that you got frustrated and apologise. Then if it is still an issue ask them to listen in your bedroom. Failing that a good snipes will sort out the aircon(joking). Talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ignore them, they will get bored. At least you can sleep at night now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

They might be breaking the building regs with the noise and vibration the air con is causing.

Building regulations part E deals with noise. If they have installed something that is non compliant then you can go down a legal route. You would obviously have to prove it was non compliant and would need a report from an engineer showing non compliance with part E.

• Advertisement
Advertisement