Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Step

Options
  • 07-02-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi all, we have been trying to conceive for two years , on and for the first year, but the last 12 months we are been dedicated. Before Christmas we had male and female anaylis done in fertity clinic , everything fine. I've had a HSG and hysteroscopy,after the HSG they suspected I might have a septum. This is now not the case, I was told that there is a slight dip in my womb but nothing to worry about. At my first consultation they mentioned getting an IUI if I didn't conceive naturally. I'm wondering what your experiences have been is an IUI the next step? I was thinking maybe clomid,to help ovulation. I'm not looking for medical advise, just experiences and maybe questions you have ask in these situations. I'm back next week and as we all know this treatment doesn't come cheap so I want to be prepared and get the most out of the consultation.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

applesock wrote: »
    Hi all, we have been trying to conceive for two years , on and for the first year, but the last 12 months we are been dedicated. Before Christmas we had male and female anaylis done in fertity clinic , everything fine. I've had a HSG and hysteroscopy,after the HSG they suspected I might have a septum. This is now not the case, I was told that there is a slight dip in my womb but nothing to worry about. At my first consultation they mentioned getting an IUI if I didn't conceive naturally. I'm wondering what your experiences have been is an IUI the next step? I was thinking maybe clomid,to help ovulation. I'm not looking for medical advise, just experiences and maybe questions you have ask in these situations. I'm back next week and as we all know this treatment doesn't come cheap so I want to be prepared and get the most out of the consultation.

We did IUI (in October 2015) and we had been trying for 6 years by then. Our tests were all fine, so it was just unexplained. I was almost 39 when we did the iui and we were given a 12% chance of it being successful, but it worked first time and my boy is now 19 months.

I did try Clinic a couple of years before the iui, but it wasn’t successful and I ended up taking some time out, getting my head straight and doing some more holistic stuff as well as exercising etc.

The iui process is fairly straight forward. It’s about 7 days (or 10, I’ve actually forgotten!) of daily injections into the tummy area (my husband did this for me) and I had scans to see the growth of the follicles. Then the day before they did a booster jab and the actual procedure the next day Was. pretty simple.

We decided on IUI as it was the less expensive option and it could be done in our local clinic, we would have had to travel to cork or Dublin for IVF.

i hope it all works out well for you. Try to keep positive and visualise it all working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    We did IUI (in October 2015) and we had been trying for 6 years by then. Our tests were all fine, so it was just unexplained. I was almost 39 when we did the iui and we were given a 12% chance of it being successful, but it worked first time and my boy is now 19 months.

I did try Clinic a couple of years before the iui, but it wasn’t successful and I ended up taking some time out, getting my head straight and doing some more holistic stuff as well as exercising etc.

The iui process is fairly straight forward. It’s about 7 days (or 10, I’ve actually forgotten!) of daily injections into the tummy area (my husband did this for me) and I had scans to see the growth of the follicles. Then the day before they did a booster jab and the actual procedure the next day Was. pretty simple.

We decided on IUI as it was the less expensive option and it could be done in our local clinic, we would have had to travel to cork or Dublin for IVF.

i hope it all works out well for you. Try to keep positive and visualise it all working out.

Thank you for your reply. I've since been to the consultation. All test for both of us have come back clear. They had said originally that we could try an IUI, but now they said we should try for a couple more months and at that stage consider IVF. Can I ask was it scans everyday for the 7 / maybe 10 days? We have decided to try for another couple of months and see after that. The stress of this journey has really hit me the last week. After consultation I felt better, but I hate saying this, in a way if something was wrong and could be fixed at least we would know, it's the not knowing that has my head in a spin. But I'm just hoping it will happen. We where no recommended any fertility medication I was half hoping we would be given some. But to be honest I don't know if I was looking for a magic pill to fix all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thank you for your reply. I've since been to the consultation. All test for both of us have come back clear. They had said originally that we could try an IUI, but now they said we should try for a couple more months and at that stage consider IVF. Can I ask was it scans everyday for the 7 / maybe 10 days? We have decided to try for another couple of months and see after that. The stress of this journey has really hit me the last week. After consultation I felt better, but I hate saying this, in a way if something was wrong and could be fixed at least we would know, it's the not knowing that has my head in a spin. But I'm just hoping it will happen. We where no recommended any fertility medication I was half hoping we would be given some. But to be honest I don't know if I was looking for a magic pill to fix all.

I felt the exact same way. I used to get so upset that there wasn't actually anything wrong, for the same reason, that I just wanted them to fix it. It took me a while to get my head around fertility treatment, I didn't want to do it at first, but it was more that I was just nervous.

No, we didn't have scans every day, I think it was just one scan a few days after the injections and then a final one the day before the actual procedure. I was told to get the booster injection that day after the last scan as the follicles were just right and to come in the next day for the IUI. My husband had to go in a couple of hours before it for his sample and then we had to come back when they had it prepared etc. It was all quite simple after that, and finished very quick.

I was told to take a test 10 days later, which was a few days before my period was due, and I did it the night before I was supposed to. I had a faint line that night and I almost passed out! I really didn't expect it, it was such a shock. I had to ring the clinic the next morning (the day I was meant to do the test) and give them the result. They then put me on progesterone pessaries for a few months, and monitored me for the next 6 weeks. I had an early scan at 7 weeks and then they released me to the hospital system.

Just try to relax & stay positive. Believe me, I know how hard that is, but I felt very relaxed through it all, even my husband was surprised that I was! I was keeping healthy, exercising etc all the way up to when they wanted to start the injections. They advised me to stop the high impact exercising I was doing before I began the injections. They said it was to help keep the ovaries relaxed!

I remember the consultant said she would have preferred me to do IVF, but we decided to try IUI first, and as it was a LOT cheaper. That way at least we would still have enough left over to do IVF if we weren't successful first time. Thankfully it all went to plan! If you feel that you want to try IUI first, then tell them, it is your choice after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I felt the exact same way. I used to get so upset that there wasn't actually anything wrong, for the same reason, that I just wanted them to fix it. It took me a while to get my head around fertility treatment, I didn't want to do it at first, but it was more that I was just nervous.

No, we didn't have scans every day, I think it was just one scan a few days after the injections and then a final one the day before the actual procedure. I was told to get the booster injection that day after the last scan as the follicles were just right and to come in the next day for the IUI. My husband had to go in a couple of hours before it for his sample and then we had to come back when they had it prepared etc. It was all quite simple after that, and finished very quick.

I was told to take a test 10 days later, which was a few days before my period was due, and I did it the night before I was supposed to. I had a faint line that night and I almost passed out! I really didn't expect it, it was such a shock. I had to ring the clinic the next morning (the day I was meant to do the test) and give them the result. They then put me on progesterone pessaries for a few months, and monitored me for the next 6 weeks. I had an early scan at 7 weeks and then they released me to the hospital system.

Just try to relax & stay positive. Believe me, I know how hard that is, but I felt very relaxed through it all, even my husband was surprised that I was! I was keeping healthy, exercising etc all the way up to when they wanted to start the injections. They advised me to stop the high impact exercising I was doing before I began the injections. They said it was to help keep the ovaries relaxed!

I remember the consultant said she would have preferred me to do IVF, but we decided to try IUI first, and as it was a LOT cheaper. That way at least we would still have enough left over to do IVF if we weren't successful first time. Thankfully it all went to plan! If you feel that you want to try IUI first, then tell them, it is your choice after all.

Thanks so much for your reply. It is so lovely hearing the success stories. I am going go talk to my partner about the IUI I do think it could be an option for us. I cut down kn the high impact training but for now I think I need to put the focus back on me and not put my life on hold for what ifs and maybes.

Thanks so much for your reply. It is so lovely hearing the success stories. I am going go talk to my partner about the IUI I do think it could be an option for us. I cut down kn the high impact training but for now I think I need to put the focus back on me and not put my life on hold for what ifs and maybes.

that's what I did. I used to constantly put my life on hold, just in case I was pregnant, or just in case this or that. I just stopped focussing on it as much (hard at times of course) and I tried to get myself healthier and enjoy things more. I would have preffered not to have had to do fertility treatment, but that's just how it went and thankfully we have a beautiful little 19 month old boy now who lights up our lives. I don't know if we will try again, I am afraid to as I don't want to have to go down that road again. I'm not ruling out having another, but as he's only a year & a half, I want to enjoy him on his own for a while longer. I am conscious of my age though, as I'm now 41 and I don't want to leave it too long either. I will try not to worry about it for now and hope that nature takes its course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just reading this post ladies. I'm in the same boat. All tests have come back clear, no reasons as to why we haven't gotten pregnant yet and doc told us we could try for a few more months but then consider IVF (due to my age, 40) rather than IUI. I hate the idea of having to do it and so does my partner but the natural way hasn't taken yet so we're fering up for a return visit to clinic next month.

Interesting to read what you say about high impact exercise, I should have lost a bit more weight since I was there last and was considering going for it with high impact exercise for a few weeks to kick start the weight loss but maybe slow and steady is the better method under the circumstances? It's just so hard, esepcially not drinking. I don't drink much at all but it seems like there is always a 'special occasion' around the corner since I started trying to avoid the stuff. Hard to explain constantly why you're not drinking :rolleyes:

squiggldy wrote: »
    Just reading this post ladies. I'm in the same boat. All tests have come back clear, no reasons as to why we haven't gotten pregnant yet and doc told us we could try for a few more months but then consider IVF (due to my age, 40) rather than IUI. I hate the idea of having to do it and so does my partner but the natural way hasn't taken yet so we're fering up for a return visit to clinic next month.

Interesting to read what you say about high impact exercise, I should have lost a bit more weight since I was there last and was considering going for it with high impact exercise for a few weeks to kick start the weight loss but maybe slow and steady is the better method under the circumstances? It's just so hard, esepcially not drinking. I don't drink much at all but it seems like there is always a 'special occasion' around the corner since I started trying to avoid the stuff. Hard to explain constantly why you're not drinking :rolleyes:

I kept up the high impact training right up until when I was about to start the IUI fertility injections, that's the only reason I stopped. Keep up with your training & weight loss, that's going to help you. I know ladies who are still doing high impact exercises while they are pregnant...putting me to shame when I did nothing but a bit of walking and some pilates while I was pregnant!
    I was almost 39 when I did IUI, and I was given a 12% chance of it working, but I ignored them and went ahead with it! I felt like I'd rather try it first, and if it didn't work, then we could talk about the IVF. We were also unexplained fertility and I was told that IUI is done on a lot of couples with unexplained fertility, so I wanted to give it a go. It also is a LOT cheaper! It cost us €850 for the IUI and there was a bit of added costs involved in getting the injections, and afterwards for the progesterone. It was about €1,200 in all, but a lot less expensive than IVF and if it didn't work, then we still had money left over. Thankfully that money left over was able to go towards the baby in the end and all the bits we had to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rachel2017

I am half way through my first ivf cycle and so far it has been relatively straight forward . On day 2 of my period I took one injection - looks like an Epi pen . On day 6-10 I added a second injection. On day 10 I also did a third . They didn't hurt a bit . Tomorrow myself and hubby go to a clinic . I have a simple procedure under sedation to remove eggs , he produces a sample and then the scientists do the rest . In five days time I go back to put the embryo in - I have been told this take 10 min and is similar to a pap and then we wait . I had two ultrasounds to check follicle growth and two bloods tests so far . If you can afford it go for it . There is nothing to be afraid off . I got peed off every month letting nature take its course . I want a family and am happy to use science . They way i look at it I spent years injecting chemicals to not get pregnant and this is now the reversal .

Rachel2017 wrote: »
    I am half way through my first ivf cycle and so far it has been relatively straight forward . On day 2 of my period I took one injection - looks like an Epi pen . On day 6-10 I added a second injection. On day 10 I also did a third . They didn't hurt a bit . Tomorrow myself and hubby go to a clinic . I have a simple procedure under sedation to remove eggs , he produces a sample and then the scientists do the rest . In five days time I go back to put the embryo in - I have been told this take 10 min and is similar to a pap and then we wait . I had two ultrasounds to check follicle growth and two bloods tests so far . If you can afford it go for it . There is nothing to be afraid off . I got peed off every month letting nature take its course . I want a family and am happy to use science . They way i look at it I spent years injecting chemicals to not get pregnant and this is now the reversal .

Best of luck with it, I hope it goes really well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Unfortunately being able to afford it is often the thing, but I'm 30 weeks pregnant following icsi and the process itself, the meds etc really wasn't that big a deal. I know if it hadn't worked I would probably get to that stage where it would be all I could think about, but I wish we'd made the decision and gone for it earlier rather than waiting around and hoping it would happen, even though it hadn't till then. We had our tests done and everything seemed reasonably normal so left it for almost a year. First time I went through the process but didn't get to collection stage as didn't have a good enough result (even though everything looked fine for me). That part was upsetting of course and I thought it just wasn't going to happen. Then had to wait a few months, increase the dosage, still not a huge number of eggs but it worked. I know I would have been more upset if it hadn't and there's only so many times you can try before you would have to admit defeat, but time goes by so quickly, one day you're early 30s and it seems like you have loads of time and then it seems overnight you're late 30s and your chances are falling. I know I'm really lucky (so far, touch wood) but after going through that phase of getting disappointed and upset every 3/4 weeks I think even if it hadn't worked out I'd be glad I tried rather than thinking about it as a possibility years later.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Just giving you all an update , ivf didn't work first go , 12 out of 14 fertilised , one perfect blast transferred and it didn't take . There was one frozen . In the meantime by hubby met a guy at work who told him that himself and wife did timed intercourse and gave me doctors name so off I went . Was given lezerole day 3 to 7 and then went to his office day 10 for a shan he gave me a trigger shot and told me to have loads of xxx over the weekend . And voila it worked and only cost 300 compared to ivf ah ah

Hi
    Just giving you all an update , ivf didn't work first go , 12 out of 14 fertilised , one perfect blast transferred and it didn't take . There was one frozen . In the meantime by hubby met a guy at work who told him that himself and wife did timed intercourse and gave me doctors name so off I went . Was given lezerole day 3 to 7 and then went to his office day 10 for a shan he gave me a trigger shot and told me to have loads of xxx over the weekend . And voila it worked and only cost 300 compared to ivf ah ah

Wow that's great! Congratulations! How far along are you?

I tried something similar a couple of years before we did the IUI. I was put on clomid & had a trigger boost & like you was told to get very busy. But it didn't work, and I had awful side affects from the clomid that time. Strangely enough, I didn't have any side affects the time I was on it for the IUI, but the first time was by tablet & the IUI time was injections.

Just got confirmed yesterday so a long way to go . Aparantley lezerole has a lot less side effects and better for lining . I was given the choice but because my lining was thin - I went with lezerole . I also took baby asprin - as had very clotty cycles and red raspberry leaf tea and took up walking so it could have been pot luck of a combo

Just got confirmed yesterday so a long way to go . Aparantley lezerole has a lot less side effects and better for lining . I was given the choice but because my lining was thin - I went with lezerole . I also took baby asprin - as had very clotty cycles and red raspberry leaf tea and took up walking so it could have been pot luck of a combo

Just take each day at a time & try your best not to worry about anything. I was surprisingly relaxed when I got pregnant, it was my husband who seemed to do all the worrying about the what if's. I didn't let them enter my head too much.

I was given progesterone suppositories to take. I was on them a good few months. Did they suggest you take these? Might be worth mentioning as they are meant to be very good for the first few weeks especially.

I asked doctor secretary and she said doc doesn't give it if you ovulated as you produce your own progestrone . Have two boxes unopened but didn't then even though was tempted . Had blood test today and hcg 564

I asked doctor secretary and she said doc doesn't give it if you ovulated as you produce your own progestrone . Have two boxes unopened but didn't then even though was tempted . Had blood test today and hcg 564

You do produce your own progesterone, but sometimes not enough and that is one reason they say, that can cause a miscarriage unfortunately. I may have had low progesterone, which was probably why I was put on it.

I must ask for progestrone check and next doc appointment to see out of curiosity

I had been taking 2 VIT d with my prenatal as per doc instructions - prob for 3 months and VIT d is still not in healthy range . Just told to keep taking it

I must ask for progestrone check and next doc appointment to see out of curiosity

No harm asking. I have a friend who had a few miscarriages and they put her on it on her next pregnancy & it all went well. As I said, I never had a m/c, but I did have low progesterone at one point, so probably why I was put on it. I was on it for a good few months. Not the nicest thing as its a pessary I was on, and it was yuck...plus caused so much irritation there...but worth it of course!!!
    I had to laugh when I was watching an episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians recently (don't judge!!) and one of the sisters, Khloe was put on progesterone too and had the exact same moan about it as me...so at least I wasn't the only one! LOL

Asked and was told they don't do it . Had another blood test and hcg gone up so all good . Very nervous still . When do you tell family?

• Advertisement

Asked and was told they don't do it . Had another blood test and hcg gone up so all good . Very nervous still . When do you tell family?

I know a lot of people generally don’t announce pregnancy until the 12week mark, but I had already told close friends & family that we were doing fertility so I pretty much told them fairly quickly that I was pregnant. I just personally preferred to tell them, but it’s up to each couple.

Think I will try my best to wait until 10 week blood test and scan . It's going to be hard . Are you finding out sex ?? That's another big choice

Think I will try my best to wait until 10 week blood test and scan . It's going to be hard . Are you finding out sex ?? That's another big choice

Oh my baby is nearly 2 now (in July!). But when I had a scan at about 22 Weeks, I was told the sex without my husband with me and without me agreeing to be told. I was not happy. We had said we would ask, but I went in as I had a lot of discomfort and was a bit worried. So I had a scan done and the silky woman blurted it out! It was a boy! My husband was so disappointed to have missed it.

I wasn’t sure about asking the sex, but my husband really wanted to know. Makes no difference either way at the end Of the day!

Advertisement