Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collectors

Options
  • 07-02-2018 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys, I got a text from BCW debt collection firm (018035111) asking me to contact them urgently. My Fiancee signed up for an Irish for Primary Teaching leaving cert course. She attended one class, we paid a non refundable deposit of €150 & a balance of €1,150 is left. She left after the first class due to high levels of stress. The college is adamant that she (or in my view it's "we") are liable to pay. I have read a lot of reports on BCW and they seem like bullies. If hypothetically we we're to move (for reasons outside of this) & left the address the same. What can BCW/ the college do if they can't get a hold of us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I did something similar. Signed up for a distance learning course from a reputable college that cost £1000, but with no deposit.

I had some personal issues at the time, and furthermore when I logged in I did not like the look of the materials (which were available on the intranet) & couldn't imagine slogging it out.

A few letters arrived to my house including saying they were going to file a CCJ against me and they could follow them up through the Irish courts.

In the end, I decided not to ignore the threats. I wrote a letter saying that I did not participate in the course as I had health issues, scanned it, and sent it to email address on the letter. I offered to pay towards admin costs. They wrote back to say they confirmed with the college that I did not participate in the classes and they cancelled the debt.

So, my advice to you is not to ignore it. Phone the college. If they refer you to the agency, phone the agency. Don't give them any other means to contact you (i set up a temporary email address for example, and did not provide my phone number).

It's not entirely fair to say BCW are bullies. They are a collection agency for a legitimate debt that you are for no good reason ignoring. If push comes to shove, I'd probably suggest paying the €1,150. But try to reach an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

As above, & just to add that if it’s a legitimate debt a court judgement could be obtained against her. This really isn’t what your fiancée or yourself need at this early stage of your life/relationship, as it could affect your ongoing ability to obtain credit.

Don’t bury your head in the sand. Sort it out & forget about changing address etc. In this digital age in most cases you can run but not hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 questions01

So just called BCW & It's Electric Ireland chasing me for €90 not a college. I already paid the final bill, they'll hardly do anything over €90, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd be uneconomical to go to court but you'll be unable to use that energy provider again unless paid or otherwise sorted out (if it's an error)

If it's on your current property you could have trouble switching to any provider with an outstanding debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Ring up esb and figure out if it's a legitimate bill. If it is, pay it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement