Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell Street

• 07-02-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

When are they due to start the remodelling work on O'Connell street - Badly needs an upgrade

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

When are they due to start the remodelling work on O'Connell street - Badly needs an upgrade

They haven't even finished the design process yet, so not anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Interested in this too...
    Anyone hear anything... I went to the public consultation and submitted a mail with my thoughts but heard nothing since.
    Will there be a second round public consultation or similar I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

The sooner the better - A good upgrade of the street would greatly enhance the ambience of the city centre

I don't think I'd like them to remove traffic from the street entirely however maybe introduce traffic calming measures such as ramps and the widening of pavements.

It's such a long straight street that I'd like to see it lined with lots of trees on both sides all the way to the top to give it more of boulevard feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's stalled a bit. Nobody is too happy with what's been presented. Various groups are saying it's lacking imagination, short on ambition, etc. Others are giving out about the impact on traffic. The Chamber of Commerce are now looking for a canopy of sorts down at the retail end of it. It'll be a while yet before anything is done, and chances are they don't have nearly enough funds for anything particularly major.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It's in danger of degenerating in to a shambles. The council have wasted the last two years arsing around with worthless "public consultations." Despite having zero interest in taking ideas on board. They've also avoided making any hard decisions that would have transformed the appearance of the street.

It's obvious that they have no clear vision or ambition for the street when you look at the boring sterile, unimaginative proposal that's been promoted. Indeed at last June's presentation I was told by a consultant working on part of the project that the council wanted the "least controversial design" to be drawn up. That is a crazy mindset to approach such an important project with!

Ultimately when you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing nobody. I fear it's going to be a missed opportunity. I'd agree also that €9 million isn't enough for a project of this scale. Especially when you factor in the costs of upgrading utilities and services and protecting the Georgian cellars under such an historic street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Its in badly need of a shakeup that is for sure apparently the plans have already been drawn up but work is still yet to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Vanquished wrote: »

These were the initial preferred plans to which people were allowed present their submissions. Based on those, there is now an amended plan where again there will be a submissions process.

The amended plans haven't yet been published, but i believe it will involve pedestrianization from William St to Roches St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

damowill wrote: »
    These were the initial preferred plans to which people were allowed present their submissions. Based on those, there is now an amended plan where again there will be a submissions process.

The amended plans haven't yet been published, but i believe it will involve pedestrianization from William St to Roches St.

Until they provide a viable alternative for people travelling in from East Clare/Corbally side of the city then I can't see O'Connell St being pedestrianised.

Advertisement