Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Ireland

• 07-02-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am not sure where to post this as there are so many different topic boards. I am strongly considering a move to Ireland, probably the Dublin area. I am British and living in the UK right now, but its just so horrible here. I used to live in the USA and since I have been back in England I cannot just settle. In the area I live there are few employment opportunities and I am reluctant to move closer to London. So I decided to myself maybe I can try to live in Ireland, and I figure there are always jobs available at the airport so I thought any place around there would be a good place to live. Can anyone advise good areas to live around the Dublin Airport? Maybe this little place called Swords sounds nice. Also, how do the Irish feel about the English coming there generally? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hiberno12345

gfdgdfg wrote: »
    Hi, I am not sure where to post this as there are so many different topic boards. I am strongly considering a move to Ireland, probably the Dublin area. I am British and living in the UK right now, but its just so horrible here. I used to live in the USA and since I have been back in England I cannot just settle. In the area I live there are few employment opportunities and I am reluctant to move closer to London. So I decided to myself maybe I can try to live in Ireland, and I figure there are always jobs available at the airport so I thought any place around there would be a good place to live. Can anyone advise good areas to live around the Dublin Airport? Maybe this little place called Swords sounds nice. Also, how do the Irish feel about the English coming there generally? Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Are you English or from an ex-colony?
    Your poor English would suggest pakistan/India?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Why would you not move closer to London?

I'm English living here for 10 years. There are more opportunities in London.
    Swords is expensive to live in (as is all of Dublin) and you'd be silly to think you can just swan over and get a job at the airport.

Have you spent much time in Ireland/Dublin in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

His English is fine.

There’s a lot of English people living in Ireland Op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What poor English?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭lorcand1990

OP's English is fine. Pakistan should have a capital letter though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The only thing I would advise is to have a look at the price of rent in that area. It might give you a bit of a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

What better way to be introduced to Irish culture than some knob telling you your grammar is poor and you must be from a non-English speaking country. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Come on over we should ship the person out questioning your English skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Gob****e.

• Advertisement

Op, have you ever been to Ireland?
    If no then I suggest first coming over for a week or so and seeing first hand what it's like.
    What's your background? I think you could easily get a job around the Google quarter.
    Jp Morgan bought a building along the river so there will be jobs coming online there soon.
    Does it have to be Dublin? Would cork or limerick be any use to You? Far cheaper to live, wages would go further and airports close by if you want fly home or anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

Swords great location if working in airport, there's good bit of work around in general but a shortage of accommodation so rents are really expensive, you won't get any bad feedback for being British but maybe a bit of fun slagging! Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ya, comm to Dublin. It's grate heir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP what do you for a living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OP: I would suggest that you come over to Ireland first and have a look around and get a feel for the place before making the big step of emigrating.

Ask yourself why you think you would be happier here than in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

If you are concerned being British, imagine how I feel as a Romanian :)
    Seriously now, I haven't encountered any issues and Irish people are wonderful and very open minded.
    A rational individual wouldn't really judge people based on their geographical place of birth.

Rents can be an issue, and I imagine there would be less jobs here than in England.
    You sure it's not the weather why you can't settle? I know I miss the sun..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

rosmoke wrote: »
    If you are concerned being British, imagine how I feel as a Romanian :)
    Seriously now, I haven't encountered any issues and Irish people are wonderful and very open minded.
    A rational individual wouldn't really judge or categorise people based on their geographical place of birth.

Rents can be an issue, and I imagine there would be less jobs here than in England.
    You sure it's not the weather why you can't settle? I know I miss the sun..

We get loads of sun in Ireland, we just hide it above the clouds for safekeeping.
    op, come check us out, if you've useful skills or are a hard worker you'll be fine.
    (even if, god forbid... you're from India or Pakistan) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

Here is a list of everything, that's good about Ireland:

(1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just walk into the airport and ask for a job driving one of the planes, tell Brenden at the desk that davo sent you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

davo2001 wrote: »
    Just walk into the airport and ask for a job driving one of the planes, tell Brenden at the desk that davo sent you.

There's a job available in the airport after yer man was caught smuggling in his mates .
    Just don't try bring in anyone who shouldn't be here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Having lived in Scotland, England and now Ireland, there is little difference between these countries. I would say that if you do not like living in England, it is unlikely you will like it in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

His English is fine.

Fine, no. Passable, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

topper75 wrote: »
    Fine, no. Passable, yes.

I see a lot of Irish people on local FB pages that write a language I don't even understand. Get a grip.

Is this a quiz on the OPs English level?
    He comes on here to ask a question about moving to Ireland and 2 posters now are judging his English. One of them failed at it and the other seems to think that all English speakers have perfect grammar and sentence building.
    Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

bigar wrote: »
    Having lived in Scotland, England and now Ireland, there is little difference between these countries. I would say that if you do not like living in England, it is unlikely you will like it in Ireland.

Have to agree with this. I moved here from just outside London, almost 10 years ago with an ex partner.
    There is very little difference and if I had the choice again I would have stayed in the UK.
    However it's not as easy as just picking up your things and going so I am here to stay.

If you're looking for a total lifestyle change OP then Ireland is not the place for you.

As you're lucky enough to be in a position where you have the option of starting afresh in a new country, would you not think about going further afield?
    You could go abroad for the summer, get a job in a bar somewhere like Ibiza. Great craic, a summer of guaranteed sunshine and you'll meet some great people. A lot of the workers then head to somewhere like a ski resort for the winter and get bar work there. The back to Ibiza again in April/May.

Or try and get a visa for Australia if want to be somewhere for longer then just a summer.

I think you should explore and research other options before definitely deciding on Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I call it fake thread and raise you made up story

After hours..... First post...

Jaysus folks your better than this even managed to get 3 pages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I agree with others on here OP, it's not much different here to the UK so maybe you need to think about it more.

What do you not like about the UK?

What do you work at?

It really depends on numerous different circumstances.

Please ignore the ignorance of some posters on here, it's not a fair indication of Irish people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

Dublins a kip. A pint is a fiver or more. The weather is ****e. The Health service is like something from the 3rd world. The transport system is chaotic. The cost of living is a joke. Ungoverned rent is off the charts. Racism is rife.

Apart from that its lovely....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Both speak English I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Luis21 wrote:
    Dublins a kip. A pint is a fiver or more. The weather is ****e. The Health service is like something from the 3rd world. The transport system is chaotic. The cost of living is a joke. Ungoverned rent is off the charts. Racism is rife.

Maybe you should do a swop with the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Who cares! Just make sure you've plenty of money or your probably end up as a homeless statistic.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

You should be fine op if you're hardworking and keep your mouth shut :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Australian Tourism: questions answered

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, so how do the plants grow? (UK)
    A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.
    Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
    A: Depends how much you've been drinking.
    Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
    A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water...
    Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
    A: What did your last slave die of?
    Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
    A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not... oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
    Q: Which direction is north in Australia? (USA)
    A: Face south and then turn 90 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.
    Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
    A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.
    Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
    A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.
    Q: Do you have perfume in Australia? (France)
    A: No, WE don't stink.
    Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
    A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.
    Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
    A: You are a British politician, right?
    Q: Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
    A: Yes, gay nightclubs.
    Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
    A: Only at Christmas.
    Q: Are there killer bees in Australia? (Germany)
    A: Not yet, but for you, we'll import them.
    Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
    A: No, we are a peaceful civilisation of vegan hunter gatherers. Milk is illegal.
    Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
    A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.
    Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees.(USA)
    A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.
    Q: I was in Australia in 1969 on R+R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
    A: Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour.
    Q: Will I be able to speek English most places I go? (USA)
    A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.

Advertisement