Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling and travelling

Options
  • 07-02-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm going to Nice in France in April 2018 for five nights. I would love to do something alternative like rent a bike and cycle around and camp as I go. Does this sound crazy? I would love to do that! I'm a twenty-five year old female and of course would have concern for my safety. Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do in Nice that stays away from the mainstream tourism? I've just gone tired of the materialism that surrounds tourism, it just kind of makes me sick at this stage. I really want to travel and explore and be adventurous but I want to stay away from materialism. I would love to hear any advice that anyone has!

Thanks,

Jo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Maybe stay away from Nice/Antibes/Cannes then if you want a break from Tourism, and head into the hills around Nice.
    I stayed in a village called Gattieres a few years ago, and it was amazing. A lovely village in the foothills, You could see the Med on your right, and the snow capped Alps to your left. Small village pub, patisserie, restaurants.... Amazing.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kkjjxx

Thank you so much for that advice, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Another option would be to join up with one of the cycle tour companies, the one below is just an example, safer but more expensive, can be a good way to meet like minded folk.

http://azurcycletours.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

OP
    Have been to Nice a few times and great cycling if you head into the hills away from the coastline. I once hired a bike in Nice via internet. Turned up next day to collect bike from shop and all set up for my measurements. Lovely people in the shop - more than helpful.

I rode out of Nice via Eze and was away from the mayhem pretty quickly. I was doing Col de la Madone so had planned route in advance. Lots of pros out training and ended up stopping for a pi$$ and chat with Sam Bennett (cycling is a lonely life and they are only to glad for a chinwag).`I descended off Madone into Menton and took the coast road home. Regretted it big time as the traffic all along the coast line is mental.

Have been down again a couple of times since and always head inland to get away from the mayhem. Its fairly safe in my opinion but I am a well traveled middle-aged male.

Did a 7 day trip last June all the way from Menton (beside Monaco) up to Switzerland over 17 mountain passes. Did not plan all the stops in advance as wanted to feel that freedom of hitting the road without knowing (in advance) what the day would bring. Ended up in beautiful old mountain villages with zero tourism and got to engage with locals. Hopped into Italy a couple of times and had the best experiences - dirt cheap too.

My advice is skip the camping (not sure there will be much open in April) and take small local hotels. Also stay away from coastline due to traffic and you will be OK. In April you would have to keep to the valleys- in fact April might be a tad early for heading inland as possibility of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice is not the greatest starting point, IMHO, for April, due to possible snow inland. You might take a train (any train other than most TGVs, will take a bike) west for an hour or two, and then hit Provence, which has lovely biking, gorgeous villages, etc. Touristy in high summer, but not too bad...in April it ought to be quiet enough, if you're not there at Easter.

Just another option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kkjjxx

Thank you very much everyone for your advice!

Advertisement