Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a divorce moving

• 07-02-2018 3:34pm

I'm looking to divorce my wife. Its all amicable and there are no children or assets to divide.

I know I have to file a civil bill (in triplicate) and an affidavit of means in triplicate) and then this will be stamped and she will get the same in the post.

When we are just looking for a divorce, what do I need to put on the bottom of the civil bill when it comes to the indorsement of claim?

What happens then? Does she return it to me? Do the signatures need to be witnessed by a solicitor? How much does that cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

AND THE APPLICANT CLAIMS
    1. A decree of Divorce pursuant to section 5(1) of the Family Law (Divorce) Act 1996
    2. An Order and Cross Order pursuant to the provision of Section 18(10) of the Family Law (Divorce) Act 1996 that neither the Applicant nor the Respondent herein shall, on the death of the other, be entitled to apply for provision out of the Estate of the other herein pursuant to the provisions of the said Section.

Hi there,

Myself and my ex have been separated for 12 years with no contact. No house, no kids, no assets.

I have tried to serve the papers by reg post but they have been returned uncollected. I contacted her through facebook and she confirmed her address. I copied the papers and put them in her letterbox.

She has confirmed she has received them and that her solicitor would get in touch and now she has blocked me on facebook so I have no way of obtaining an update.

Initially from speaking with her back in Feb, it seemed like it was to be amicable and straightforward, but the tone has changed and now I am worried this won't be done quickly as I thought.

Myself and the fiancé have since booked our wedding on the 29th of October and paid our deposits. What can I do to avoid having to cancel the wedding?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Can we take it that you are running the divorce yourself...ie no solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Hi there,

Myself and my ex have been separated for 12 years with no contact. No house, no kids, no assets.

I have tried to serve the papers by reg post but they have been returned uncollected. I contacted her through facebook and she confirmed her address. I copied the papers and put them in her letterbox.

She has confirmed she has received them and that her solicitor would get in touch and now she has blocked me on facebook so I have no way of obtaining an update.

Initially from speaking with her back in Feb, it seemed like it was to be amicable and straightforward, but the tone has changed and now I am worried this won't be done quickly as I thought.

Myself and the fiancé have since booked our wedding on the 29th of October and paid our deposits. What can I do to avoid having to cancel the wedding?

Contact your solicitor. This could drag out, so I would be contacting your venue and seeing if you can change the date.

mp22 wrote: »
    Can we take it that you are running the divorce yourself...ie no solicitor.

Yes. I had no reason to believe that there would be any issue regarding consent.

• Advertisement

Ok so I am presuming you have a case number....10 days after you served the papers get the online proof of delivery,swear out an affidavit of service,attach the proof of delivery and the till receipt to it.....write a letter to your ex (provided you have no heard from her solicitor)granting her 2 more weeks to respond...If you need sample letters ect PM me...Photo copy the letter Orignal to be filed with the affidavit of service in the court office,copy send by ordinary post...copy kept.

When the 2 weeks are up you will need to file a motion depending on any reply's you may get.

Advertisement