Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting property in a different city

Options
  • 07-02-2018 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

hi.
    I'm trying to find a place to rent in another city.
    Everything is sounding ok, the person has emailed me and is communicating via whatsapp - he is using a UK number on whatsapp.
    I rang the local garda station as well and they said make sure that the property exists etc. as there have been scams.
    I'm busy and wouldn't be able to travel out to see the place.
    The guy is saying he will send me a scan of his Irish passport and latest bill with his name.
    Is that evidence enough to go ahead with the contract ? Or should I ask for any thing else in addition?
    THank for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I'd be very wary OP, don't transfer any cash over until you've seen the property and ensured the keys they give you are for the property itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

biZrb wrote: »
    I'd be very wary OP, don't transfer any cash over until you've seen the property and ensured the keys they give you are for the property itself.

+1,000.

Get the keys, stand in the apartment, before they get the cash.

May be entirely legit but you can't tell that just because you receive a scan of a passport - you won't even have met the landlord who may look nothing like the photo in the scan.

Be especially wary if the apartment is "too good to miss out on".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Can you send someone to see it? Can you even hire someone to go view the place and meet your man for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Don't whatever you do rent somewhere unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't believe you're too busy to be able to go and see the place.

What's more, accommodation is in such short supply in all cities, I don't believe that anyone legit would be renting to you without meeting you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Where will your wife and children be living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Nicknamed wrote:
    hi. I'm trying to find a place to rent in another city. Everything is sounding ok, the person has emailed me and is communicating via whatsapp - he is using a UK number on whatsapp. I rang the local garda station as well and they said make sure that the property exists etc. as there have been scams. I'm busy and wouldn't be able to travel out to see the place. The guy is saying he will send me a scan of his Irish passport and latest bill with his name. Is that evidence enough to go ahead with the contract ? Or should I ask for any thing else in addition? THank for your help

Is this a windup?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

Thank you all.
    I will go to check the place. The rent period will start from July so I guess I cannot have the keys that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

My advice would be that you shouldn't try to rent until you're there and you can see the property and talk with the landlord or the agency.

Depending on what you prefer, I'd recommend to live the first few weeks in an airbnb, b&b, hostel, short term letting with a registered letting agency... and then start to look for a long term place.

Advertisement