Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversation Topics and voice help

Options
  • 07-02-2018 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

What do all you guys do to get topics for a conversation? Whenever I start a conversation it's usually always something like, "so, watched anything interesting recently" or the classic, "how was your day". These never really lead anywhere interesting and to be honest because I say those two lines so much those questions aren't really genuine.

Oh, and while I'm here, how do I make myself sound more interesting. I have this stupid monotone voice that makes me sound like I'd rather die than be here now. Any help is appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Who do you want to talk to? Your audience is different so your conversation starters must be different.

You have you starting basics, hi, hello, nice to meet you

Then depending on the situation you may have a natural conversation topic “so how do you know Fred?”

You also have the conversation starting questions. A good tip is to avoid questions that have a yes or no answer. Eg “what did you think of Ireland’s win on Saturday?” Is better than “did you watch Ireland’s win on Saturday?”

However!! Don’t keep asking questions - it’s not an interview. Plus don’t ask a question if it’s a request for information you can find out yourself - “what time is the train at?”

Don’t hog a person, just practice and conversation will flow. Breathe and be confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

It might sound counter-productive but my advice is to just stop thinking about what conversation you are going to have and just let it happen. That is not to dismiss the idea of a courteous greeting such as "Hi, how are you" amongst friends - there is nothing disingenuous about this question when applied to friends. It may lead to a conversation, it may not, but it's nice to ask the people you care about how their day was. Also, it's only natural that you will have more to talk about with people who share the same interests as you - it's about natural chemistry. Find those people and forget trying to please and entertain everyone else - the reality is not everybody is going to like you, no matter what you do or say.

I understand the pressure to try and sound interesting in social situations, but once you become comfortable in yourself you'll get over that.

As for the monotonous voice thing - well, have you considered maybe you're just like everyone else who hates the sound of their own voice? It's probably all in your head - quite literally.

I don't know, if none of that helps - you could always read celebrity biographies, follow divisive world issues, get involved in anti-vaccer nutjobbery and the like - you'll soon have tons of mindless ****e to talk about :)

Best of luck

Advertisement