Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herd number advice

Options
  • 07-02-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on securing a herd number.

I bought a house with land and am looking to get a herd number for it.

The previous owner had ~100 acres. I bought 12 acres of it. Those 12 acres house all the farm buildings but they are run down and not in use at the minute.

Someone told me that they previously got a herd number transferred to them from the previous owner of their land. I tried to do so but was told that it has to be signed over by the previous owner (who is deceased), or the family would have to sign it over. The family live in the UK so I am reluctant to bother them with this. I was advised that it would probably be easier to start a new application.

The requirements for a herd number include appropriate animal housing, facilities for feeding/treating/watering etc animals. These facilities on our holding would need some renovation. Would these inspections also be a requirement in the changeover of a herd number?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

No matter if it's a new application or a transfer of a herd number you still have to have the minimum basics there for the animals. It's all fairly basic stuff when you break it down and if the facilities were already there it can't be that big a job to start fresh.

Either way if you think you can't afford/don't have the time to have things ready for when the animals arrive don't get the animals, it's as simple as that.

If you're new to this lark I would strongly advise you to start off small and build up slowly, it's not always going to be as easy as looking out the window at your beautiful animals grazing in the sunshine with rainbows and butterflies in the background.

Think feed, think water, think of the waste that results then multiply accordingly, think of the expense and time needed and multiply that too.

You'll need to show the vet that comes to inspect what you have that you have thought all these things through and of course the animals will need proper shelter.

The best advice I can give you is don't get the animals until you would be proud to show your worst enemy around where you intend to keep them and ask them to find fault.

Do your homework and you'll have less (not zero) stress, it's a huge commitment taking responsibility for the welfare of animals but there are days when you get such a buzz out of it that will make all the effort worthwhile.

If you're thinking about making a profit, as in financial gain, forget it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xmasracing

Re. herd number,I have one and a sibling has been offered land and buildings for a couple of years and wants to raise stock. Is there any way for them to share my number or have they to apply for one themselves ? Thanks

Advertisement