Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four dogs killed and one car damaged after hunt spills onto busy motorway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Post like this are not going to do any good for the shooting community only serves to attract anti to what is a pro hunting forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

We don't even know if this was a fox hunt or a drag hunt gone wrong and yet there's pitch forks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wexie wrote: »
    I wonder that a lot about newspapers these days :(

I always try to remind myself their business isn't actually giving us 'the news'.
    They make money by selling advertising. In order to do that they need readers. They get readers by sensationalizing stuff.

Seems nobody is interested in just 'the news' anymore.
    Imagine having to read just facts and making up your own mind about something:eek:

I wish we could go back to just 'the news' though. Would be a lot better for everybody. (also I don't think that what celebrity shagged who in which orifice is really news, but that's just me)

I really starting to dislike the medja here - it's starting to sound a lot like the British Tabloid rubbish.

Anyone see the Indo headline today about the dear cull in the Phoenix Park?
    Sniper was hired to kill more than 200 deer in Phoenix Park

Ffs what kinda rubbish is that for what is the proper management of a deer herd in an urban environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

gozunda wrote: »
    Ffs what kinda rubbish is that for what is the proper management of a deer herd in an urban environment.

A sniper?....

Don't think I've ever heard it called a sniper in reference to animals.

Would that not just mean a good hunter like? They hardly got the army involved did they?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What a pity.

Letting the thread run, but there is always some troll out to insult, and cause problems.

I've removed the offending posts and any post quoting it, in case any of you wonder where your posts went.

Lets try to keep it civil and on topic. There will be no warnings for any violations of this.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

We don't even know if this was a fox hunt or a drag hunt gone wrong and yet there's pitch forks...

I've seen some anti's protesting at drag hunts, absolutely pointless class warfare nonsense, by grotty student types with too much time on their hands.

Maybe we should ban falconry too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Cass wrote:
    Local hunt to me has some less than pleasant characters, but i don't judge the sport based on the attitudes of a few.

Cass I'm only passing on my observations of what I have seen. Maybe it's the arrogant ones whom seem to garner attention. I however don't dispute the necessity to control numbers it's the manner in which it is done I find deplorable.
    I have seen the havoc a fox can inflict so I don't view them as some cuddly Disney character.

gunny123 wrote:
    Maybe we should ban falconry too

...and trucks.

gunny123 wrote: »
    I've seen some anti's protesting at drag hunts, absolutely pointless class warfare nonsense, by grotty student types with too much time on their hands.

I've found they're actually usually middle aged ejits with too much time and too little sense. They're also usually violent towards the horses, which makes absolutely no sense what so ever. I seen a video of someone hauling the mouth off a horse from the ground... their defense was that the rider tried to ride him over, but then it transpired that they had a child on a pony surrounded and the horse rider was trying to get the child out... I'm not even a fan of fox hunting but sabs are just scumbags

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Cass I'm only passing on my observations of what I have seen. Maybe it's the arrogant ones whom seem to garner attention. I however don't dispute the necessity to control numbers it's the manner in which it is done I find deplorable.
    I have seen the havoc a fox can inflict so I don't view them as some cuddly Disney character.

I used to be at the hunts in kildare years ago. Some of the nicest people you could meet were the ones with a title and no arse in their trousers. The ones to dodge were the social climber, Hyacinth Bucket types, absolute dose's most of them, with a stuck on d4 accent, a hire by the day horse and an arrogance that would make your blood boil.

I never want to be called "my good man" again, especially by some fool with an over inflated opinion of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,129 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well done fox. Good move.

Hitman- will have to disagree like any hunting activities it is difficult to properly judge any particular group whatever form of hunting etc from the outside. Not saying there aint aholes but no I'd disagree the dispatch is not deplorable imo. Death is quick - ya not pretty afterwards but if there were natural predators not much different at all. Most who participating in hunting around here are farmers.

gozunda wrote:
    Hitman- will have to disagree like any hunting activities it is difficult to properly judge any particular group whatever form of hunting etc from the outside. Not saying there aint aholes but no I'd disagree the dispatch is not deplorable imo. Death is quick - ya not pretty afterwards but if there were natural predators not much different at all. Most who participating in hunting around here are farmers.

Totally respect your opinion, it'd be a very boring world if we all agreed. As I said just passing on my limited observations to what I have seen. In regards aholes fully agree, they are everywhere.

Cass I'm only passing on my observations of what I have seen. Maybe it's the arrogant ones whom seem to garner attention.
    Arrogant, ignorant and insulting people will always stand out and leave an impression so yes, one or two can taint a whole sport. I make no apologies or excuses for them. Unfortunately in every sport you'll have a dick (or two), but it's important not to allow the actions of a few to be wrongly interpreted as the view of the whole sport.
    I however don't dispute the necessity to control numbers it's the manner in which it is done I find deplorable.
    Unfortunately i'm not one of those that believe that because it's 2018 that all the old traditions should be banned. The notion that i should give up a lifestyle because its old fashioned is ridiculous. I hold the same opinion for Foxhunts whether i take part in them or not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Im still wondering if this crowd have any jobs, like a monday afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

liam7831 wrote: »

Not everyone works Monday to Friday, or it could be coming out of holiday time. Some of the horses there are rode by people who's job it is to train horse because hunting is one of the best things for them. Some people there are farmers that own the land.

Apologies for the triple post, I only hit the post button once.

I think i am still correct in saying that to run a horse in national hunt races, that horse must have been hunted a certain amount of times, and you have to have proof, as in a cert signed by the secretary of the hunt. That used to be the case, i don't know if that rule was changed since i was involved in the whole thing.

So some of those people being there on a monday afternoon, might be stablehands being paid to be there.

• Advertisement

Do the dawgs have jobs? Ya there're working dawgs ;)

And ya people now work Sundays Saturday's Nights Days - some arrange to work certain days. Mon-Fri 9-5 is not standard anymore afaik

I do not see the point of your question. I know plenty of people who do not take their holidays as two weeks in August, but maybe at the start of the game shooting/deer shooting/fishing/whatever seasons.

Also not everyone is a 9-5 paye worker. Self employed, part time, semi or fully retired, the well off, also exist.

Cass wrote: »
    M'eh.

Fox hunting serves a purpose and only the ignorant think it's not needed or that foxes are cute, cuddly and something out of a Disney film.

I personally don't see the appeal to this type of hunting, but that is because of the Horses. I don't trust them. They are dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle.

Honestly I see a point in shooting foxes as control.

Not really digging the "let's set a pack of hounds on it, to rip it to shreds, for the LOLs" mindset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

wexie wrote: »
    A sniper?....

Don't think I've ever heard it called a sniper in reference to animals.

Would that not just mean a good hunter like? They hardly got the army involved did they?

It’s origins are very much referenced to animals, mainly Indian snipe hunted by the British. A snipe is a bird. Sniping is shooting snipe. A sniper is now a talented marksman due to the skills it took to shoot the notoriously challenging target that was the snipe!

Back on topic. There seems to be an increase on hunts and hounds straying to where they’re not welcome. Or farmland and houses straying on to hunting land!!! Either way, could have been worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hounds ran a riot I believe it’s called.they were on a scent and got on too far ahead of whippers in I’d imagine.not a nice thing to happen but one of the risks of hunting im afraid.pity for all involved.old charlie seems to have gotten away with this one

Honestly I see a point in shooting foxes as control.

Not really digging the "let's set a pack of hounds on it, to rip it to shreds, for the LOLs" mindset

Then you know fx all about hunting except to repeat claptrap. Death same as would be in the wild by predators as was in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

gozunda wrote: »
    Then you know fx all about hunting except to repeat claptrap. Death same as would be in the wild by predators.

What predator?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It’s origins are very much referenced to animals, mainly Indian snipe hunted by the British. A snipe is a bird. Sniping is shooting snipe. A sniper is now a talented marksman due to the skills it took to shoot the notoriously challenging target that was the snipe!

Back on topic. There seems to be an increase on hunts and hounds straying to where they’re not welcome. Or farmland and houses straying on to hunting land!!! Either way, could have been worse.

No that a just the Medja jumping on a populist faux news badwagon - believe all that and you'll believe that a sniper has been holed up in the Phoenix Park taking potshots at Bambi and his family - or what iscabs would have you believe whatever ... But ya no one likes to see good dawgs getting killed

Thats more of it. "For the LOLs"! Its not. Its a form of vermin control coupled with tradition.

The type of sensationalism you just used is no different to the article in question. Its the same tactic used by all media. Look at when a shooting occurs, the first picture on every newspaper is a Glock. No proof it was a handgun, a Glock, or better still it's reported the firearm used was a shotgun, but Glock sells better.

Misunderstanding is responsible for an awful lot of the preconceptions. Add to that the actions of those vehemently opposed to hunting in all forms and a lack of willingness for people to listen/learn and you arrive at where we are now.

• Advertisement

What predator?

Exactly. In Africa for example larger predators such as lions will hunt and kill Hyena Fox and Jackls here it would have been wolves. Hounds do same job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement