Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest base camp. Go alone or with a tour?

Options
  • 07-02-2018 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

I'm looking to do Everest Base Camp in April and trying to figure out whether I should go alone (with my own guide) or do it with a group of people like with Intrepid or G Adventures. Unfortunately none of my friends are interested so I'm going to Nepal solo.

The way I see it - doing it alone with my own guide is much cheaper, I can do as I please, I'm sure I can mix with people in the tea houses in the evenings and get my own room at night

With a group I have the fun that comes with a group, the encouragement that might be needed to get to base camp and will surely meet some cool people.

Has anyone any experience of this that can offer me some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would imagine that without knowing your fitness and health level, your previous experience etc, nobody is going to be able to advise you... You would need to provide more info. It sounds like a great experience though, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Go it alone, you'll meet loads of people. Barely need a guide, just follow the yak sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

loobylou wrote: »
    Go it alone, you'll meet loads of people. Barely need a guide, just follow the yak sh1t.

Have you done it? Did you go alone? Did you get bored walking on your own all day or did you walk with other randomers? I presume it's easy enough to chat away to people in the guesthouses etc? I just presumed other groups might be very cliquey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

THere was a thread on here years ago where a guy posted his blog on Everest base camp, he did it solo with his own guide, I will try and locate it for you when I get to a computer.

If you are just looking to trek to ebc and back I’d imagine a good guidebook (cicerone) and a map should and you should be fine, haven’t been to Nepal, but have done a few long distance walking routes unguided and they are totally doable.

One potential hazard in going solo is difficulties if you suffer from altitude etc, you have nobody to take care of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

LG1234 wrote: »
    Have you done it? Did you go alone? Did you get bored walking on your own all day or did you walk with other randomers? I presume it's easy enough to chat away to people in the guesthouses etc? I just presumed other groups might be very cliquey

I did it almost 20 years ago with a small group of friends. Even back then it was very busy (in november), the lodges were packed at night. I prefer walking by myself though, my main worry with joining a group is I'd get stuck listening to some a**hole for the duration of my holiday. Other problems with groups include costs (much higher than DIY)and having to stick to the group itinerary.
    I'll be over in Nepal myself in april, my wife and I are doing the Manaslu circuit. Its a great country, enjoy!

Advertisement