Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Stira type stairs to top floor apartment

Options
  • 07-02-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here with attic access added Stira type stairs to their apartment? Our lease says we have access to the attic, but effectively don't own it - there is an access hatch already in the hallway. We're going to run it by the management company to be on the safe side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

If it's in the hallway it's not your apartment is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If it's in the hallway it's not your apartment is it?

I'd imagine it's in the apartment hallway rather than a communal hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

I'd imagine it's in the apartment hallway rather than a communal hallway.
    That makes way more sense yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Even though the access is from within the apartment the management company often owns the roof space. Check your deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Does your lease specify whether you just have access to the attic space (i.e. you can enter it if necessary for maintenance tasks) or if you can actually use it for storage? You probably want to double-check on that as well if you're planning to store belongings up there, as that might not be permitted by your management company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be conscious of insulation, damp proofing and fire safety issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Victor wrote: »
    Be conscious of insulation, damp proofing and fire safety issues.

Also keep in mind the attic space will almost certainly not be floored.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The mgmt co owns the attic, and we can't make any permanent changes e.g. flooring. The previous owner used it to store a few boxes. Currently access is using a stepladder which is a bit of a pain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And the entrance is internal to your apartment- and *not* in a shared hallway?

And the entrance is internal to your apartment- and *not* in a shared hallway?
    Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

Yes, I have a Stira stairs accessing the attic in my apartment.

Access to the attic is via my apartment only i.e. not in a communal area.

Installation of the Stira stairs did not warrant any alterations to the ceiling/flooring of attic.

Agents of the Management Company have, in the past, accessed my attic via the Stira staircase, to check the apartment roof. I did not seek permission to have the Stira staircase installed. Indeed, it was remarked, by the Management Company agents and the builders of the apartment block, that the Stira staircase was a bonus.

It is my understanding that the apartment 'roof' is not under the ownership of the apartment owner and is not subject to any structural changes without the consent of the management company and all other apartment complex owners.

I think it's the bees knees, my Stira staircase.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm in a similar situation, installed a ladder myself (cheapo one from aldi!)

Further to this, I put down some tongue and groove MDF type flooring to make storage easier. Didn't alter the structure at all as they're not affixed, just sitting on top of the beams.

SwimFin wrote: »
    Installation of the Stira stairs did not warrant any alterations to the ceiling/flooring of attic.
    That's exactly the argument I want to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is perfectly fine since you're not making any permanent structural changes.

You are also perfectly entitled to lay down some flooring, just don't screw it down. The tongue-in-groove chipboard stuff you get from Woodies or B&Q will do just fine, and won't shift about much.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation, installed a ladder myself (cheapo one from aldi!)

Further to this, I put down some tongue and groove MDF type flooring to make storage easier. Didn't alter the structure at all as they're not affixed, just sitting on top of the beams.

Most roofs don't have "beams", they have roof joists, which tend mot to be able to take the loading that a floor joist can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Victor wrote: »
    Most roofs don't have "beams", they have roof joists, which tend mot to be able to take the loading that a floor joist can take.

Thank you captain pedantic :pac:

I didn't put a gym in my attic, just some cardboard boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

One thing on this, is the attic space shared and firestopped? As in, if you put in a Stira, is it possible for someone to walk across the attic space of their apartment and down into yours through the stira?

I appreciate that this shouldnt be the case but, well, we all know corners were cut.

Askthe EA wrote: »
    One thing on this, is the attic space shared and firestopped? As in, if you put in a Stira, is it possible for someone to walk across the attic space of their apartment and down into yours through the stira?
    Not in our one, but bloody hell, have you seen this? I would have thought that would breach some fire regulations for a start, let alone the security implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

hmmm wrote: »
    Not in our one, but bloody hell, have you seen this? I would have thought that would breach some fire regulations for a start, let alone the security implications.

I have unfortunately, not in a block but in a terrace of duplexes. I read recently somewhere that receivers have spent x million euros to make properties they are responsible for fire compliant. I thought it would have been taken by the press and ran with.

I knew they were doing it, but normally on the QT!

Advertisement