Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French/German are optional in my school...what should I do

Options
  • 07-02-2018 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I'm afraid if I don't put French as no1 I wouldn't get it. And I'm afraid if I do put French as no1 I wouldn't get Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

If you want to do all 3 sciences, I'm assuming you'll want to do something that involves science after school?
    Most if not all science courses, at least that I've looked at require a language so I'd definitely do one if I were you..

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

Yes, I want to do French but I'm afraid if I do put French as no1 on the subject list I won't get to do 3 sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thereisacar

Depends on the size of your school but maybe put it in this order:
    chemistry, physics, French & biology
    This is because there'll be a smaller amount of people doing chemistry so if there's only 1 (if youre lucky 2) class(es), you'll definitely get in it if its your first choice and there'll probably be slightly more doing physics but there'll be the same problem.
    French put third just to solidify that you definitely get your language which is really important for college.
    Put biology last because usually there's a huge interest in biology so it wont be difficult to get into one of those classes (theres 3 biology classes in my year).

Do what you think is best though, really depends on the size of your school, there's over 1000 in mine and about 190 in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Clopal

Put French down first, your better to defisnrly have your language rather than have 3 science subjects and no language. If you only get your 2 sciences you can still get into any college course. But if you have 3 sciences and no language, your options are therefore limited. So put down French and then the sciences in order of preference

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

If you are considering veterinary as a maybe, you'll need chemistry. So that's something to consider.

Not having a language won't restrict you much any more in terms of courses, eg UCD. But, it is a great advantage to have when applying for jobs, etc. It can be the difference between candidates at times and even opportunities in companies, eg getting a chance to work in a European office for a while. Its something to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It depends how your school works, of course, but why not put the language last? Even though it's technically optional, I'd imagine most schools would try to accommodate anyone who has actually expressed the interest, given that they're important for matriculation requirements in college. Then if it happens that they don't give you the language, could you talk to them and rearrange your subjects? If so, it could be a good way of doing it.

Advertisement