Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing adaption grant for people with disability

Options
  • 07-02-2018 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone applied for the grant for adaptation of house with someone with disability for a family member? I am getting two bathrooms done have the form filled out and ready to post and had a second guy measuring up the bathrooms today I think they only approve for one room. I'll have an inspector round so hoping it gets approved as quotes are dear to get them done privately. I am a full time carer looking after my Mam who has mid/late stage Alzheimers in her mid 80's she isnt in a wheelchair but is slow on her feet and the suites would need to be adapted esp toilet and shower. I want to keep the bath downstairs but would get the upstairs toilet near her bedroom adapted as easier for her and me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Could the upstairs toilet possibly be converted into a shower room/toilet for your mum I know it has to be a certain size. But you could be lucky and get the two done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I've heard a few saying they will only do one downstairs is the main one with whb, bath/shower, toilet and upstairs is a corner shower with old t90 shower, whb and toilet. Great if they can do two but if I want to keep my bath they probably wont do it then upstairs if they are to put in a bigger shower they may need to knock wall at landing it's quite a tight space I dont know the measurements of the mobility showers they put in or they may be able to move around the whb toilet will have to be raised it would just suit me and Mam getting the aprroval for the smaller one upstairs. I love having a bath in a house I guess I'll see what inspector says I kinda need the bath too not so much medical but my muscles ache at times and the bath helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nickie3

You may want to look for an Occupational Therapist to do an assessment and write a report for you, it’s probably preferable for your mam to have the shower on the ground floor as a wet room is by far the best option. As the grant is for your mam, you won’t get grant aid for 2 bathrooms.

Advertisement