Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to buy a painting.

Options
  • 07-02-2018 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’d like to buy a painting for my sitting room. Something original and maybe surreal. I’m not looking for a plant pot, a Forrest or two men in a boat on a bay. Something by someone with talent rather than somebody who knows cats sell and has a stall with 5 cat painting 5 horse painting and a few of men in boats. Something you can look at and think about. It’d obviously have to tie in with the sitting room. Where would I go.
    Budget would be 200 ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not sure you'll get a painting for that, you might get a nicely framed print though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

How much would I need to be willing to spend do you think. I’d rather get something I like and original.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    How much would I need to be willing to spend do you think. I’d rather get something I like and original.

It really depends on size, frame etc. If you're just looking for a smallish canvas maybe an art student might do it for a couple of hundred. You'd be better off looking at some of the independent galleries around the place to get an idea on price.

Are you in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Go in around Merrion Square the next day one of the art sales is on. You're far more likely to be able to find something for that budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Morgan Weistling limited canvas maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Some reasonably priced items at the top level of St Stephens green Shopping Center- in the corridors near the lifts.

NCAD regularly do art exhibits of their work and you could get something reasonably priced that might turn out to be a famous artist in the future ! Maybe...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

€200? You might just get a blank canvas, some paint and brushes for that and give something a go yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

tumblr_inline_mwghzkFcrY1r9rfs8.jpg

Of course you will get something in Dublin if 200 is your budget- it’s would mean a lot to some artists to have their work appreciated-

See here for some: suggestions

https://touch.adverts.ie/for-sale/art-craft/pictures-paintings/74/county-Dublin/

“Roll it back”

Ah man in boat with ghost sock under middle dog. Not sure it’d be in my budget though.

• Advertisement

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Ah man in boat with ghost sock under middle dog. Not sure it’d be in my budget though.

€190 for this watercolor...
    http://www.adverts.ie/12240612

Don’t know what your into but this looks nicely painted

“Roll it back”

There’s one on that adverts link called an evening walk by martyna m I’d like but it’s 390. I’m half considering. Also elephant in love looks good. The prices of these will probably ramp up now with everyone looking at it. I wonder would they be up for the adverts custom of offering a guitar pedal and a half eaten sand which for a swop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plenty of primary schools run exhibitions for local artists and many would be going for prices within your budget.

This site lists groups, many of which have exhibitions at which the works can be bought:
    http://irish-art.com/irishartgroups.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

0jlH6QA.jpg?1?7067

Advertisement