Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fox routine

• 07-02-2018 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

a fox killed 2 call birds on me this week i'm baiting the fox atm i waited for an hour at 6 no show but i seen it at 18:45 last night and tonight at half nine 2 different sightings this fox is coming into this field every night. what would your next approach be go out and wait for the 3 hours tomorrow night. :eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

had one in my garden Tuesday night too, expected to see him the following night +- 1 hour but no show. Guess he knew there was some lead with his name on it waiting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Maybe go out in the evening and try and draw him in with the squeaker. If it goes past dark then a few blasts of the squeaker and you might pick him up down the lamp along the brinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Fox has to be lucky every night...you have only to be lucky once!! Wait for an hour for a few nights around 6 -10 and you'll get him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Set a snare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

I got the fox waited and watched the field where it was seen gonna setup the trail cam for a few nights and see if there is any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Have foxes got very plentiful recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

feargale wrote: »
    Have foxes got very plentiful recently?

Definatly. Theres an ever growing urban fox population that spills out into the surrounding countryside - plus less and less folks(including many gunclubs:() doing lamping for many different reasons.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Definatly. Theres an ever growing urban fox population that spills out into the surrounding countryside - plus less and less folks(including many gunclubs:() doing lamping for many different reasons.

Definitely way more foxes..place full of em. Fox Hunting packs are not killing em anymore in big numbers..A local hunt pack are lamping foxes and firing shotguns at em to scare em to make em lamp shy. As well as that not many lads lamping anymore because of the scumbags robbing houses and farm yards and everyone else getting tarred with the same brush. Gardai are hassling lads lamping foxes alot more now.

Still haven't got the visitor to my garden, tried squeaking him yesterday but no show. Don't have a dedicated 1 man lamping set up so might try and get help from a neighbour to use the lamp and spend some time on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I have noticed a fox regularly crossing a field beside my workplace where I park I do eat my lunch in the van every day it will cross the field between 1-1.30pm without fail....actually nice to see them in daylight and it ain’t bothering me so I let him be!
    I’m definitely noticing more foxes while lamping though the last year or two and I’m noticing that there in really good nick as the dogs I’m shooting are getting bigger and bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

270WIN wrote: »
    Definitely way more foxes..place full of em. Fox Hunting packs are not killing em anymore in big numbers..A local hunt pack are lamping foxes and firing shotguns at em to scare em to make em lamp shy. As well as that not many lads lamping anymore because of the scumbags robbing houses and farm yards and everyone else getting tarred with the same brush. Gardai are hassling lads lamping foxes alot more now.

That is indeed nuts given that there is plenty of Charlie out there for every mans sport

Birdnuts wrote: »
    That is indeed nuts given that there is plenty of Charlie out there for every mans sport
    Around this area there are a couple of hunt packs who are dead set against lamping. I tried explaining to a few of em but u might as well be talking to the wall. They meet foxes out hunting and hunt a fox for a few minutes then pick up a new one and this crack goes on all day....no fox killed. A lot of farmers getting sick of em and their carry on. The end result is as you say ...country full of foxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Around this area there are a couple of hunt packs who are dead set against lamping. I tried explaining to a few of em but u might as well be talking to the wall. They meet foxes out hunting and hunt a fox for a few minutes then pick up a new one and this crack goes on all day....no fox killed. A lot of farmers getting sick of em and their carry on. The end result is as you say ...country full of foxes.

the parish here is washed with foxes, went out last night again seen a good few most of them were unsafe shots and 1 or 2 lamp shy got one dog fox alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

plenty lamping up our way and the place is well set with snares but their is still plenty out their

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kandjen

Seems to be the general consensus that everywhere this year has an abundance of foxes. I've definitely not seen a year like this one for a very long time where I've shot so many early on. I know it's pairing up season but at one stage here we shot 23 in 3 nights and which took place over the course of 8 days, that was only a drop in the ocean as to what we were seeing that were lamp shy or wouldn't present a safe shot.... We do regular nights shooting year round to try keep numbers down and when I say regular nights they are all nighters this time of the year, starting at 9.30pm and going till 6 a.m. An average night numbers wise would see us bag more often than not 5 at least but that's staying within a 6 mile radius.... Total so far from November is 84.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The local hunt - I know that the result of hunting is never certain. Hounds may track a fox and yes some get away. Scent conditions may not suitable for hounds either.

Most fox's accounted for are old sick or otherwise in my experience . Young health foxes will often get clear. That's the way it is. It's not about clearing out large numbers - it's about removing those most likley to predate and to make the rest human and habitation shy. Tbh Ive never ever heard of lamping and firing shotguns here - that would be counterproductive to any type of hunting and just pure stupidity imo. Not to say there arnt eejits out there too. But ya at the moment I reckon the country is experiencing a huge growth in numbers of foxes. Somehow don't see how it can be blamed on anyone or group tbh. Im seeing it around here this winter especially. It's more to do with a series of previous mild winters that have led to an increase in populations.

Got him

Wife's first time hunting and using a lamp. Good job��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Do foxes carry diseases?
    I have heard stories of foxes attacking humans. Any truth in that?

Do foxes carry diseases?

Couple of well documented cases of fox's attacking small kids in the UK, but none here in Ireland that I know of. To be fair, it's a very rare occurrence, but certainly possible.

Disease wise, they can suffer from mange, (which is a mite) and carry worms. Not aware of anything else, but nothing that humans can really get from them. Of course it is important to keep kids away from scat, just like you would with dog or cat facies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Eddie B wrote: »

Disease wise, they can suffer from mange, (which is a mite) and carry worms. Not aware of anything else, but nothing that humans can really get from them.

They can carry Weils disease - nasty stuff!!

223vmax wrote: »
    They can carry Weils disease - nasty stuff!!

I've only ever heard of that been carried by rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Couple of well documented cases of fox's attacking small kids in the UK, but none here in Ireland that I know of. To be fair, it's a very rare occurrence, but certainly possible.

Has been a few cases here too:

Woman needs twenty stitches after fox attack

Couple attacked by fox at ATM

Mitchelstown man attacked by fox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

I've only ever heard of that been carried by rats.

They can and do carry it along with cattle and dogs. Although fox can carry it, not sure what the chances are of humans picking it up off them though. Yep, rats would be the worst carriers/transmitters of Weils.

Gravelly wrote: »

I read about that middle one lol. Seamingly yer man was well known in the area for making up stories, and talking pure bo**ix lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Do foxes carry diseases?
    Neospora is another one that they carry and is quite common. ALWAYS wear gloves when handling.

Advertisement