Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfganbeatergrandson?

Options
  • 08-02-2018 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Ahoy,

Time for another thread that's not about endless grief between drivers and bicycle drivers .

I've decided I can't justify another roadbike until some time in the distant future...

But in the meantime this run of foul weather and ice threats has made my keenly miss my BMFCMTB (Bare Minimum Fat Coward Mountain Bicycle) Famous the world over as Wolfgang Beaterson.

My old steel singlespeed MTB hack/turned baby trail legend on ghetto tubeless suffered a seized rear hub towards the end of last year and I can't bring myself to spend €50 to €70 on getting it back on the road.

So I briefly entertained notions of getting a proper singlespeed MTB but dismissed them as more theft/risk burden than it's worth for what I'd be putting it through.

The main issue with Wolfgang MKI was (apart from the engine) that the original cantis, and later V-Brakes didn't work very well [or at all if you were in dewy grass ] in foul weather offroading which was very much Wolfies main use.

So mostly I want a cheap solidish bike that will probably have to live outside or at best in a shared hallway but also have disc brakes and room for big tyres.

And basically what I'm down to is getting a deal on a Carrera Vengeance (or similar ) in Halfords and converting it to singlespeed and ghetto tubeless or actual tubeless depending which set of wheels I sell and which I keep to minimise the upkeep and the visual desirability.

1. My main concern (apart from presumably having to use a chain tensioner) is the suspension fork and how much extra care and breakdown potential it adds to things.

2. If the time arises when there's a deal on something with a hydraulics like the Vulcan - which disc brake system is going to stand up better to being left cruelly outside shivering on its own in the cold? Mechanical or Hydraulic?

3. Would I be better off stripping the Altus/Bargain bin gruppo straight away to sell as new or just wearing it out before converting to singlespeed?

4. Why don't I have any other hobbies?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

2. If the time arises when there's a deal on something with a hydraulics like the Vulcan - which disc brake system is going to stand up better to being left cruelly outside shivering on its own in the cold? Mechanical or Hydraulic?

Hydraulic lines don't rust or need to move, so a far better bet if funds are there for them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why don't you just use a SS conversion kit and take of the cassette and put that on. Job done and you can go back to gears of you want at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why don't you just use a SS conversion kit and take of the cassette and put that on. Job done and you can go back to gears of you want at a later date.

I already have one on Wolfgang bar the chain tensioner which was repurposed elsewhere as Wolfgang has Horizontal dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Picked up a Vitus Dee 7spd that I'm going to convert back to Singlespeed and ghetto tubeless.

Just need to keep an eye out for hydraulic brakes by next winter...

Advertisement