Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i go back and resit my leaving cert if already have one ?

Options
  • 08-02-2018 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

hi all , sorry if this question is stupid .

i done my leaving cert in 2008 and did not do very well :mad: im wondering if i can resit it again without going back to school ( just take the actual exams)

i want to start college that require a CAO range of 350-440 ( which i came nowhere close to)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

pudzey101 wrote: »
    hi all , sorry if this question is stupid .

i done my leaving cert in 2008 and did not do very well :mad: im wondering if i can resit it again without going back to school ( just take the actual exams)

i want to start college that require a CAO range of 350-440 ( which i came nowhere close to)

That’s 9 years ago. Can’t you apply as a mature student?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can sit your Leaving in one or as many subjects as you like, no matter how many years since the last time. It will qualify as a repeat however and cost a bit more in fees.

As Fighting Tao pointed out, you don't need a Leaving to get into college as a mature student, though I know many people like to do it, just for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

what so if i wanna get into college in psychiatric nursing i don't need my leaving cert ? i just need to go back and do ordinary maths,english and irish and that should be 350+ points if successful :)

thanks for the help guys iv no idea how back to education or that works nowadays .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/MatureStudentGuide.pdf

should give you some information on applying as a mature student

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you have time, drop in and see your local ETB's Adult Education Officer. Their job is to assist people in your situation.

I don't know the exact requirements for psychiatric nursing, but there is always an alternative way into courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If you do decide to resit the Leaving Cert, first check whether there is any "coursework" component in the subjects you want to do. You will not be allowed to submit coursework if you are not following the course in a school or similar approved place, so you could end up forfeiting a good chunk of the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

pudzey101 wrote: »
    what so if i wanna get into college in psychiatric nursing i don't need my leaving cert ? i just need to go back and do ordinary maths,english and irish and that should be 350+ points if successful :)

thanks for the help guys iv no idea how back to education or that works nowadays .

You can apply as a mature student although for something like psychiatric nursing the college is likely to want to see either some experience or aptitude for the course involved. You will have to attend an interview and explain why you want to do the course and demonstrate that you are capable of completing it.

Each college will have a mature student office and you should contact them to see the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

For nursing there is no interview involved. You just have to do a mature assessment in April and the highest points get in , doesn’t matter if you did or didn’t do LC they don’t look at any of that anyway just the points from the PAS test! I’m thinking of repeating too for nursing as out of 1600 people who do the PAS each year only 500 / 600 get in, LC may be easier!!

You can apply as a mature student although for something like psychiatric nursing the college is likely to want to see either some experience or aptitude for the course involved. You will have to attend an interview and explain why you want to do the course and demonstrate that you are capable of completing it.

Each college will have a mature student office and you should contact them to see the requirements.

Advertisement