Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope to Open A Cafe

Options
  • 08-02-2018 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Everyone,

I hope to open a café somewhere in the Leinster/Munster Border in the coming year. I am looking in to searching for a shop in a town with good footfall and cheap rent.

I hope to buy equipment second hand and accumulate same over the coming year.

Have a few queries if anyone could shed light on this matter.

I have a budget of approx 10K to open same but will hopefully have a lot of equipment accumulated on top of this.

My queries are;

What costs are there on setting up a coffee shop in a retail premises as regards of change of use planning etc?

Does anyone have much details in relation to the installation of three phase power and costs approx?

Costs of plumbing out shop for coffee machine etc.

Any advice on costing same be great and views on whether 10K would suffice for hidden set up costs in opening a café?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Hi Everyone,

I hope to open a café somewhere in the Leinster/Munster Border in the coming year. I am looking in to searching for a shop in a town with good footfall and cheap rent.

I hope to buy equipment second hand and accumulate same over the coming year.

Have a few queries if anyone could shed light on this matter.

I have a budget of approx 10K to open same but will hopefully have a lot of equipment accumulated on top of this.

My queries are;

What costs are there on setting up a coffee shop in a retail premises as regards of change of use planning etc?

Does anyone have much details in relation to the installation of three phase power and costs approx?

Any advice on costing same be great and views on whether 10K would suffice for hidden set up costs in opening a café?

10k? Not going to happen. A decent working coffee mahine will set you back 3-4k at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No idea of actual specifics but I know a couple who put over 20k into starting a coffee shop 4 or 5 years ago. It was nothing special, just a generic coffee shop in a small town, no franchise or anything like that.
    They spent on fit out primarily. No change of use or anything needed.
    It closed after about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 treasuryman

Dev84 wrote: »
    10k? Not going to happen. A decent working coffee mahine will set you back 3-4k at least.

Sorry the 10K will not include all the equipment which I hope to obtain second hand over the coming year on donedeal etc which I have experience in procuring. 10 K is for electrical, plumbing, and other ancillary stuff stock etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...What costs are there on setting up a coffee shop in a retail premises as regards of change of use planning etc?

Any advice on costing same be great and views on whether 10K would suffice for hidden set up costs in opening a caf/QUOTE]

To answer your questions with a question, how long is a piece of string? I hate to sound like a smart e, but these are things you should really be researching yourself.

Rent is entirely dependent on where you'll base your Coffee Shop. As for plumbing and electrics, you might want to discuss with a potential landlord, bringing in a Plumber and Electrician to price these jobs, so you can put together a forecast of initial set up costs.

When you've been able to put a price on all of these, you'll be able to put a plan in place in terms of how much capital you'll need and how long said capital should keep you going, before the business begins making money for you.

Sorry that I can't provide you with exact figures, but your questions and their answers are completely dependent on where you rent, how long you'll be tied into a lease, the cost of second hand equipment, and how much work will be involved for the Electrician and Plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 treasuryman

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    ...What costs are there on setting up a coffee shop in a retail premises as regards of change of use planning etc?

Any advice on costing same be great and views on whether 10K would suffice for hidden set up costs in opening a caf/QUOTE]

To answer your questions with a question, how long is a piece of string? I hate to sound like a smart e, but these are things you should really be researching yourself.

Rent is entirely dependent on where you'll base your Coffee Shop. As for plumbing and electrics, you might want to discuss with a potential landlord, bringing in a Plumber and Electrician to price these jobs, so you can put together a forecast of initial set up costs.

When you've been able to put a price on all of these, you'll be able to put a plan in place in terms of how much capital you'll need and how long said capital should keep you going, before the business begins making money for you.

Sorry that I can't provide you with exact figures, but your questions and their answers are completely dependent on where you rent, how long you'll be tied into a lease, the cost of second hand equipment, and how much work will be involved for the Electrician and Plumber.

Of course I understand that I hope to get a 10 year lease some where to ensure right of tenure. I was looking for a ball park figure with regards 3 Phase as I cant imagine a landlord would do for you.

These are all costs that I would need to have some advice on (ballpark) as I have not yet found a place/location and haven't discussed rent. I know for someone for such services in Dublin you can deduct an amount to that of costs in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

To test the waters in the town, Could you approach a shop or newsagent, deli or similar and ask if you can setup a simple coffee kiosk on their premises? like insomnia do with the spars? but obvs on a smaller scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I suggest that you contact your nearest Local Enterprise Office, who more than likely would provide help & information in a more structured form than you may receive here on boards: https://www.localenterprise.ie/FAQs/I-have-an-idea-for-a-new-business-%E2%80%93-Where-do-I-start-/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There's an amazing thread on here you should look up. It was about opening a cafe (in clondalkin I seem to recall) and it ran all the way through from a post similar to yours to them posting after having been open for a few months. On my phone at the moment so not so easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Take it back it was incredibly easy to find! Also their OP did have a bit more detail!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057278302/1

Advertisement