Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detached vs semi detached.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Another anecdotal story in support of the semi d. We moved into ours (70s build)about 3 weeks ago. I actually had to knock in next door last week see if they were ok as I’ve not heard a peep, if I didn’t see lights on I would have thought the house was empty. Anyway, while there I got the fear that we were the noisy neighbours - the baby likes a cry at 3am on occasion. But alas, no, they’ve not heard anything from our side either. Proper construction goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I'll throw my 2c in.

Bought a semi-D last year & I can hear doors slamming/toilets flushing/Showers going/Kids fighting from next door.

All regular stuff but disappointed to say the least in the build quality of the property, despite all the assurances from the E.A at the time.

It's a pity as it looks like it will be short stay for us as we like our peace & quiet.

Not looking forward to property hunting again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I've only ever lived in terraced and Semi Detached houses. It's honestly never been an issue for me - I lived under an apartment being renovated and that was hell (we had booked time off to have a break at home only to be woken up every day at 8).
    Also lived in an semi detached house that was noisy due to the neighbours on the other side, and that was a detached house.
    We're moving into an end of terrace that has the stairs on the joining walls so we're hoping there isn't noise issues, at least not from bedrooms. I guess it's down to what neighbours you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kaymin wrote: »
    Personally I'd go for Lucan - I've lived there for 15 years and never had any problems. Obviously Lucan covers a big area but the new part that I live is close to Liffey Valley SC / cinema, parks, M50, airport less than 15 mins drive away, variety of big supermarket chains (including a soon to be opened Tesco, M&S, SuperValu, Lidl, aldi), quick drive to the phoenix park, tons of bus routes pass 10 mins walk away on N4 etc. I'm not that familiar with Terenure but it always gave me the impression of being built up with not much green spaces.
    Plenty of green spaces in Terenure, Bushey Park, The Dodder walk , Terenure College, the VEC grounds etc.

In Terenure you’ve got Aldi, Lidl, Tesco metro, SuperValu in rathgar is very close as is Tesco in Rathfarnham shopping centre.

Less than 10 minutes to Dundrum shopping centre, nutgrove shopping centre , Swan centre, the square , St.Endas Park, Marley Park etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Personally I'd go for Lucan - I've lived there for 15 years and never had any problems. Obviously Lucan covers a big area but the new part that I live is close to Liffey Valley SC / cinema, parks, M50, airport less than 15 mins drive away, variety of big supermarket chains (including a soon to be opened Tesco, M&S, SuperValu, Lidl, aldi), quick drive to the phoenix park, tons of bus routes pass 10 mins walk away on N4 etc. I'm not that familiar with Terenure but it always gave me the impression of being built up with not much green spaces.

Nonsense - nobody would choose Lucan over Terenure.

The thread is about semi D v detached, irrespective of location.

@ OP I'd go with location as others have said, many semi D houses are very well built and many are poor, so just depends on the house itself but do your research and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

Nonsense - nobody would choose Lucan over Terenure.

Maybe you should speak for yourself.
    The thread is about semi D v detached, irrespective of location.

@ OP I'd go with location as others have said, many semi D houses are very well built and many are poor, so just depends on the house itself but do your research and you'll be fine.

You've just contradicted yourself there. I didn't think I'd need to explain this but clearly if I have a preference for Lucan then I'd have a preference for a detached house in Lucan over a semi-d in Terenure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Maybe you should speak for yourself.

You've just contradicted yourself there. I didn't think I'd need to explain this but clearly if I have a preference for Lucan then I'd have a preference for a detached house in Lucan over a semi-d in Terenure.

The o/p asked about investment, not what people would prefer.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The o/p asked about investment, not what people would prefer.

I replied to the following part of the OP:

'Hoping to move in the next few months and looking for opinion on the following: detached house in nice area (Lucan) vs semi detached house in nicer area (Terenure, Rathfarnham).'

So it's not just from an investment perspective the enquiry arises and that's clear from his subsequent follow up questions to me, if you took the trouble to read the thread.

Also, to suggest location is the only consideration when evaluating an investment, as you have done, while a great sound bite, is stupid. Asking price, position in the economic and housing cycle, time horizon, general affordability, property tax, rental yield etc are all important considerations.

There's already mention of D4 house prices stagnating as people can no longer afford the high prices. Whether that proves to be the case and whether that is the case in Terenure is also worthy of consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There's already mention of D4 house prices stagnating as people can no longer afford the high prices. Whether that proves to be the case and whether that is the case in Terenure is also worthy of consideration.

Terenure is not D4, a 2.5% increase is slower growth not stagnation.

also prices have to slow at some stage, they just got to unaffordable levels earlier in D4, the rest of the areas will follow suit in relation to theur desirability.

I wouldn't compare the affordability of D4 to Terenure. I think you're clutching at straws!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,075 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've lived in D15 not far from Lucan, and also came close to buying in Terenure, so I'm a bit familiar with both. I'm not from Dublin so have some objectivity/ignorance.

TBH I would struggle to recommend Lucan if you can afford somewhere decent in Terenure.

Terenure has the major advantage of being continuously connected to Dublin city centre. It feels like Dublin. Whether the location works for you depends on your circumstances, but I cycle a lot (or did when I lived in D15), and while Terenure is an easy, flat 5km cycle on any old bike, commuting from Lucan/D15 is a major commitment.

I nearly bought a terraced period house in Terenure, for the same money I could have bought a large new build detached house in Lucan and had some left over.

Anyway, nobody knows what prices will do in the long term, but having watched various markets for last couple of decades the one constant is change. Who would have guessed 20 years ago that the "silicon docks" would be a thing? At that time everyone wanted a gaff in Ranelagh.

Buy somewhere that makes your heart sing. In the long term the survival rate is zero.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Terenure is not D4, a 2.5% increase is slower growth not stagnation.

also prices have to slow at some stage, they just got to unaffordable levels earlier in D4, the rest of the areas will follow suit in relation to theur desirability.

I haven't said Terenure is D4. I'm saying the affordability issue that is affecting the D4 market may, in time, affect the market in Terenure. If one more desirable area becomes unaffordable inevitably buyers will move to the next most desirable area that is affordable.

House prices in Lucan haven't experienced the same level of re-bound experienced in Terenure - one might argue a rebound will come making Lucan a better investment opportunity.

As for the comment on stagnation, you are referring to past growth rates whereas I'm referring to commentary made regarding future growth rates such as those below which suggest possible stagnation.

'The study of prices actually achieved reveals that increases have slowed dramatically in Dublin 4, where an affordability threshold seems to have been reached in the second half of last year.'
    'it's hard to see the level of house price inflation we saw over the course of 2017 be sustained in 2018.'
    'It will certainly slow, and slow considerably.'
    'However, we expect slower house price inflation in the more expensive areas.'

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/new-analysis-of-house-prices-shows-significant-slowdown-in-increases-for-first-time-36590464.html

GingerLily wrote: »
    I wouldn't compare the affordability of D4 to Terenure. I think you're clutching at straws!!!!

I'm saying the affordability issue that is affecting the D4 market may, in time, affect the market in Terenure. If you think this is the same as suggesting D4 and Terenure are equally affordable then your're wrong.

Can we get back on topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Lumen wrote: »
    Buy somewhere that makes your heart sing.

I like that, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you decide you dont like living in Terenure, you can always move out to Lucan, chances are your house will have appreciated more than similar in Lucan.

I'd be fairly confident that the opposite won't be true.

Old semi-d's around that area are typically well built and you wont have too much problem with noise at all.

For me, bottom line is that Terenure is a much more sought after location, it may not work out for your specific circumstances, but as above, you can always move out to Lucan if needs be.

Can we get back on topic now.

To be fair - you are doing most of the side railing :D

Advertisement