Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Hi All,

Purchased this charge point in error about 3 weeks ago.

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/wall-mounted-chargers/products/wallpod-ev-multi-mode-j1772-type-1-tethered-cable-5m?variant=40494191300

Type 1 tethered 32A Rolec with a separate 3 pin plug so would suit Nissan Leaf or Mitsubishi Outlander

Very handy if you have an electric lawnmower or similar!

I can send it back for a refund but will offer it here for €480 if anyone is interested. It's still in the box unopened.

Collection from Greystones only.

Edit: should have been clear I paid €509.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

podge3 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but can the new board not be connected in parallel to the existing?

No, I don't think this is allowed, since your ESB meter contains an 80A fuse for circuit protection. You fuse board will have a 64A fuse as well which should blow first if there's a fault.

If you connected a second board in parallel with say a 32A fuse then the whole setup could draw 96A and blow the fuse in the meter

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

KCross wrote: »
    Are you not already on a day/night meter? With a HP and an EV you should have a day/night meter already and that’s free to get. You don’t need a smart meter for that.

As I understand it, the smart meter will add a 3rd time period to the current two time periods. I think initially the idea is to add a 5-7pm tariff. If they go with that you can change your HP an EV timers to avoid that time period. You don’t need to wait for smart meters though. You should be on a day/night meter right now and Solar PV is a separate decision.

There is also the possibility that current Solar grants will get reduced when they bring in FiT so waiting might not help there either. Have a look at the Renewable Energy forum to get an idea of costs and generation figures etc.

Good luck either way.

Same set up as you both, am getting the Zappi installed via Nigel Daly to future proof. Methinks though that in the longer term switching from a ground sourced heat pump to an air-to-water might be more economical that supplementing with solar but it's a while away yet in any event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

No, I don't think this is allowed, since your ESB meter contains an 80A fuse for circuit protection. You fuse board will have a 64A fuse as well which should blow first if there's a fault.

If you connected a second board in parallel with say a 32A fuse then the whole setup could draw 96A and blow the fuse in the meter
    Yeah, that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Newbie question guys.

The missus is looking at a Porsche Cayenne and possibly a second full electric car for me.

What are we doing?

Can you buy a charger from a bricks and mortar shop?

What's the best brand?

Is there a list of registered electricians for the install?

Is the grant still available?

Sorry for the questions but we are complete and utter newbies into this world.

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Newbie question guys.

The missus is looking at a Porsche Cayenne and possibly a second full electric car for me.

What are we doing?

What's the best brand?

Sorry for the questions but we are complete and utter newbies into this world.

Thanks!!

Answers inline

What are we doing?
    Can't really tell you, boards is probably not the best place to ask that one :)

Not that I know of, but I think screwfix might have started selling them. A lot of folks seem to buy them online or through the installer

What's the best brand?
    Depends on what you need, there's everything from budget models to fancy expensive ones

Any RECI electrician can do it, check safeelectric.ie

Yes, check seai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Newbie question guys.

What are we doing?

I dont know.... buying two cars?! :)

Most electrical stores wont have them. Most people buy online or get it provided by whoever is installing it.
    What's the best brand?

Thats very subjective and it really depends on what you want/need.

Considerations.... e.g. cheap and cheerful, bells and whistles, aestethics etc.

Do you have any requirements? Budget, app support, looks, Solar integration etc?

Any electrician can do it.
    If you want to draw the €600 grant from SEAI you have to use a SafeElectric registered electrician and provide a cert for the job.

Yes
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

Thanks lads.

Obviously we would like a "good" branded one. Not averse to spending money on this as I'd rather fork out on something decent and reliable if we're going down the EV route.

This forum is great for questions/answers etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Zappi seems to be one of the best, have watched videos and they say to avoid Rolec. Still looking myself, don't want one with any fancy apps, just plug in and charge and thats it. Reliability is the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Related question... have the zappi outside for the 330e, going great. Is there a way to tap off it for an outdoor 3 pin socket?
    Or an adapter that allows same?
    Assuming no, is there anything i should be way of in getting some local electrician to do so, ie stay the hell away from the feed to the zappi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Thanks,

If they were availing of the grant should they go more expensive , is that what you mean? Or can you only get the grant if you go via certain installers?

That sounds like a great price . They are simple folk , they just want to plug the car into the wall and charge it like a phone.

I believe the basic ESB unit is €499 after the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Thanks lads.

Obviously we would like a "good" branded one. Not averse to spending money on this as I'd rather fork out on something decent and reliable if we're going down the EV route.

This forum is great for questions/answers etc!!

Most electrical wholesalers stock them.at this stage if you want to buy direct.
    Usually it's a Garo unit. They are very basic and build quality is a bit flimsy but internal components are good.

Stay clear of the Rolec wallpod. By far the most problematic brand/model I've come across.

Then the main brands you will be looking at are
    Wallbox
    Zappi
    EO

All 3 have various options available depending on your requirements.

You mentioned the possib6of 2 EVs.
    Are you thinking 9f getting 2 chargers?
    Even if this is only something to be considered down the line you will want to check the model you pick can use load management on a cluster of chargers.

phill106 wrote: »
    Related question... have the zappi outside for the 330e, going great. Is there a way to tap off it for an outdoor 3 pin socket?
    Or an adapter that allows same?
    Assuming no, is there anything i should be way of in getting some local electrician to do so, ie stay the hell away from the feed to the zappi?

I'm planning on doing something similar and got some feedback from the support guys at Zappi

You can do it, but you'll need to add a CT clamp to the circuit, I think it needs to be between the socket and the fuse board (or Zappi depending on which order they're wired)

You'll need to connect that CT clamp to the Zappi and set a group limit based on that CT input.

Presumably the cable is rated for 32A, so you'll be setting a 32A group limit. If the socket is drawing 10A the Zappi will adjust it's charging current to 22A (or whatever the next lowest setting is) to prevent overloading the circuit

Felexicon wrote: »
    Most electrical wholesalers stock them.at this stage if you want to buy direct.
    Usually it's a Garo unit. They are very basic and build quality is a bit flimsy but internal components are good.

Stay clear of the Rolec wallpod. By far the most problematic brand/model I've come across.

Then the main brands you will be looking at are
    Wallbox
    Zappi
    EO

All 3 have various options available depending on your requirements.

You mentioned the possib6of 2 EVs.
    Are you thinking 9f getting 2 chargers?
    Even if this is only something to be considered down the line you will want to check the model you pick can use load management on a cluster of chargers.

Thank you!!

Only going with one charger as the wife is considering a hybrid model and the other car will be a full EV.

Thank you!!

Only going with one charger as the wife is considering a hybrid model and the other car will be a full EV.

Can I recommend she looks at a PHEV? If her daily commute is less than around 30km then she could drive electric only and save a nice bit of money on fuel

Can I recommend she looks at a PHEV? If her daily commute is less than around 30km then she could drive electric only and save a nice bit of money on fuel

Hi...yeah she's looking at a porsche cayenne which appears to be able to run on electric only. Her commute (if it ever comes back to that) is around 20 miles round trip so it should almost cover that on electric only!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Hi...yeah she's looking at a porsche cayenne which appears to be able to run on electric only. Her commute (if it ever comes back to that) is around 20 miles round trip so it should almost cover that on electric only!!

One thing to be wary of, PHEV's need to be charged more often than a BEV. To obtain the benefit she'll need to be plugging in every day, whereas with two BEV's she'd need to charge much less often. This isn't an argument against getting the PHEV, it's a suggestion that you are more likely to need two charge points if one of them is a PHEV.

liamog wrote: »
    One thing to be wary of, PHEV's need to be charged more often than a BEV. To obtain the benefit she'll need to be plugging in every day, whereas with two BEV's she'd need to charge much less often. This isn't an argument against getting the PHEV, it's a suggestion that you are more likely to need two charge points if one of them is a PHEV.

Thanks Liam....food for thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

liamog wrote: »

the other side is that PHEV dont tend to charge that much faster on a proper charger, so if there was an available outdoor plug it would service that fine id have thought.

Cyrus wrote: »
    the other side is that PHEV dont tend to charge that much faster on a proper charger, so if there was an available outdoor plug it would service that fine id have thought.

Looks like the Cayenne PHEV is unusual in that it's got an (optional) 7kW AC charger. Takes about 2 hours from an EV charger and 6 hours from the plug. So charging overnight from an outdoor socket is still feasible. Puts the battery at around 14-15kWh

If going down the route of 2 chargers, you'll want to get ones that have load management capability. The EO Mini can do this with the added ALM module, you'll need to budget for a Cat5 cable from the ALM to the chargers as well in this case

The Zappi can also do load management between 2 Zappis without any extra cabling. If you want an outdoor socket on the same circuit you'll need an extra CT clamp wired to 1 of the Zappis. You'd also want to wire a CT clamp to the ESB meter (or use a Harvi module) to prevent the house being overloaded

This will bring the price up quite a bit, but you can put in the cabling for a second charger now if you want and decide later whether to buy a second charger. The cabling is the expensive bit, wiring the charger to existing cables is easy enough

• Advertisement

Is the Zappi the only one that reduces the power to your charger during high loads on the house rather than shuts off completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is the Zappi the only one that reduces the power to your charger during high loads on the house rather than shuts off completely?

Wallbox pulsar plus does it at as well.

Wallbox pulsar plus does it at as well.

It’s a €100 option on the Wallbox. Looks to be not much change out of a grand for one when you add on the load balancing and hook for cable which should not be €30 extra

It’s a €100 option on the Wallbox. Looks to be not much change out of a grand for one when you add on the load balancing and hook for cable which should not be €30 extra

The hook is an extra??? What a scam :rolleyes:

A €2 hook from B&Q would do the job just as well

- Zappi... does it by default including the Solar integration.
    - EO Mini with optional ALM add-on
    - Wallbox Pulsar plus
    - Andersen I think does it... super expensive though
    - Tesla Wall Connector does a variation of it across two of their charge points. Not quite as slick as the others though.

There are probably others.

You can also buy a 2 port charge point which will load share across them.

What is your house/driveway setup like?
    e.g. Could a pedestal charge point be installed where you park the two cars and be ~5m from BOTH cars at the same time?

The idea then would be that you both come home and both plug in and the one charge point can simultaneously charge both overnight.

An example which shows a picture here
    https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/floor-mounted-charging-points/products/quantum-1-2-way-16-32-amp-single-phase-type-2-socket?variant=9829952716847

Would a pedestal work for your driveway layout?

You can also buy a 2 port charge point which will load share across them.

What is your house/driveway setup like?
    e.g. Could a pedestal charge point be installed where you park the two cars and be ~5m from BOTH cars at the same time?

The idea then would be that you both come home and both plug in and the one charge point can simultaneously charge both overnight.

An example which shows a picture here
    https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/floor-mounted-charging-points/products/quantum-1-2-way-16-32-amp-single-phase-type-2-socket?variant=9829952716847

Would a pedestal work for your driveway layout?

That would work fine. We can easily park 2 cars side by side!!

- Wallbox Pulsar plus
    - Tesla Wall Connector does a variation of it across two of their charge points. Not quite as slick as the others though.

What do you think of the wallbox pulsar plus?

- Wallbox Pulsar plus

Tesla Wall Connector does not have load management for building limits

• Advertisement

The hook is an extra??? What a scam :rolleyes:

A €2 hook from B&Q would do the job just as well

Just to clarify, the holster for the plug comes as standard. The "cable tidy" is an optional extra and yes any old hook will do the job for far less.

Advertisement