Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Gael23 wrote: »
    What do you think of the wallbox pulsar plus?

The Pulsar Plus is a solid little charger. Has an app, wifi connection, online portal available if you want to track charging sessions. Makes adding a second charge point to the house quite easy.
    Have very few issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

It’s a €100 option on the Wallbox. Looks to be not much change out of a grand for one when you add on the load balancing and hook for cable which should not be €30 extra

My install of wallbox pulsar plus was 1076+65 for the clamp plus tax so 1294 in total before the grant or 694 after the grant. There’s no additional charge for load balancing, just the clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arestifamiliar

I'd love to know what rcbo you have installed with your Wallbox pulsar plus . Mines a 32A.but tripped twice in last 2 weeks . Wallbox recommend a 40A to cover surges, and ESB seem to too.

I'd love to know what rcbo you have installed with your Wallbox pulsar plus . Mines a 32A.but tripped twice in last 2 weeks . Wallbox recommend a 40A to cover surges, and ESB seem to too.

32A. Is your power boost set to 63A in the app? I don't think it will solve your problem but just out curiosity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ours is a 40A, pretty sure that their is an 80% rule when it comes to continuous load so 40A is the correct rating for a 32A continuous load such as the car charger. I'd be contacting the electrician who installed it to get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

+1
    40A for a Zappi 2 Charge Point, it's the continuous load piece

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Regarding two Charge Points, we are a two EV household with a Tesla and a Leaf since May and getting on with zero issue with a single Charge Point and an outside socket.
    It's rare both cars need to be charged, very rare

slave1 wrote: »
    +1
    40A for a Zappi 2 Charge Point, it's the continuous load piece

I've installed plenty on 32a RCBO without issue. One way to check is turn charger down to 28 or 30 amps through the app and see if RCBO still trips.
    If it does it's a faulty RCBO, if not it is down to continuous load.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Regarding two Charge Points, we are a two EV household with a Tesla and a Leaf since May and getting on with zero issue with a single Charge Point and an outside socket.
    It's rare both cars need to be charged, very rare

Are you still doing normal (pre-covid) commuting? I only need to charge the Leaf once a week at the moment, and the ID.4 will probably be once a month until lockdown ends

Once we're both back in work however, that'll change

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Felexicon wrote: »
    I've installed plenty on 32a RCBO without issue. One way to check is turn charger down to 28 or 30 amps through the app and see if RCBO still trips.
    If it does it's a faulty RCBO, if not it is down to continuous load.

I have the 32A RCBO and not once it tripped since September. I also tested the load balancing feature by turning on the shower when charging at 32A and the charger reduced the current accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Felexicon wrote: »
    Tesla Wall Connector does not have load management for building limits

Correct, it does what I said...
    "Tesla Wall Connector does a variation of it across two of their charge points. Not quite as slick as the others though."

i.e. load management across two charge points. It will ramp up/down its load to ensure you dont exceed a set limit but its not sensing the whole house load.

KCross wrote: »
    Correct, it does what I said...
    "Tesla Wall Connector does a variation of it across two of their charge points. Not quite as slick as the others though."

i.e. load management across two charge points. It will ramp up/down its load to ensure you dont exceed a set limit but its not sensing the whole house load.

Sorry. I thought it was a little misleading to someone who is only starting to looking in to charger capabilities.

I would refer to Tesla's system as cluster management.
    You assign the cluster a max limit and then its split over 2 or more chargers depending on demand.

Think we're saying the same thing in different ways

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arestifamiliar

I have the 32A RCBO and not once it tripped since September. I also tested the load balancing feature by turning on the shower when charging at 32A and the charger reduced the current accordingly.

Mine is set to 63A and does vary as things in the house put load on the house. It was installed with the clamp and not the inline unit. It does vary quite a bit, not just when shower comes on.

It's only tripped recently , I think probably because of heating batteries and the cold weather.

I've turned it down in the app to 28A and it hasn't tripped since ,which means the rcbo is probably ok.

The installers say they will replace with another 32A as it maybe faulty , but as Wallbox recommend 40A because of 'surges' I'm wondering what's the truth.

With the current risks of covid I'll wait until the numbers are safer before getting the rcbo replaced. Also want to get charge cable changed to 10m so will do both same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Might be worth checking the RCBO type - B and C rated have greater tolerances for overload at start-up, that might be your issue? Obviously consult the appropriate experts though.

https://electricalapprentice.co.uk/how-do-you-select-the-right-mcb-or-rcbo/

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Has anyone checked if duty applies to home charge points purchased from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

DM1983 wrote: »

There's no special categorisation of home chargers, just treated like all electronics. Therefore subject to duty, customs and VAT if order from England, Scotland or Wales. If you could get one from NI it would be free of extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Customs Duty will apply to anything bought outside the EU since 1st January. VAT will also be charged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ll confirm next week.
    I bought one on Amazon and due for delivery on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anyone got the Wallbox Pulsar/Pulsar plus?

Anyone got the Wallbox Pulsar/Pulsar plus?

Yes, I have a pulsar plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

There's no special categorisation of home chargers, just treated like all electronics. Therefore subject to duty, customs and VAT if order from England, Scotland or Wales. If you could get one from NI it would be free of extra charges.

Is it not that zero duty applies to any goods manufactured in the UK and sold to the EU? Is this not exactly what the trade deal delivered? Duty only applies if the goods were first imported to the UK before being sold to the EU I think? VAT applies alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can somebody explain if there is and what the real benefit is of having the harvi communication hub as I'm not seeing it outside of feeding back stats or if you've a solar power source?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can somebody explain if there is and what the real benefit is of having the harvi communication hub as I'm not seeing it outside of feeding back stats or if you've a solar power source?

Also wondering if the harvi unit is worth it. I have PV panels but the car wouldn't be charging during the day as I'm not at home so seems a waste unless you had some battery to store the energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They're two different things

The Harvi is a wireless module for the CT clamp, it can be used if it's not feasible or inconvenient to run a wire from the electricity meter (or whatever circuit you're monitoring) to the Zappi

The hub provides an internet connection for a Zappi (and Harvin & Eddi) to monitor usage, configure them and perform firmware updates

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

They're two different things

The Harvi is a wireless module for the CT clamp, it can be used if it's not feasible or inconvenient to run a wire from the electricity meter (or whatever circuit you're monitoring) to the Zappi

The hub provides an internet connection for a Zappi (and Harvin & Eddi) to monitor usage, configure them and perform firmware updates

Thank you.

So when I get a zappi installed which do I require for the myenergi app?

The hub connected via an ethernet cable to one's modern/router with a power source suffice?

What useful info does the app provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Anyone on here availed of the UK home charger scheme that’s living in NI? I have a new home in the next few months, will probably look at getting it installed while there is still a grant out there .

What’s the general outlook on these grants in Ireland and Uk, as hybrids and electric vehicles become more and more popular in the 2020’s and petrol/diesels die out, do you think grants will be pulled and the cost of installing them will go up? Installers and dealers will get crafty perhaps and see the increased demand? Pure speculation from me!

Also, forgive my ignorance- is it as straightforward as installing a home charging point, and it will theoretically do any car you buy? (I’m guessing you have to show that you’ve bought a hybrid/EV as part of your grant application? Can’t get just get one for future?)

Or is it a case that a Ford EV will need a Ford home charging connection, VW theirs etc

Thank you

Thank you.

So when I get a zappi installed which do I require for the myenergi app?

The hub connected via an ethernet cable to one's modern/router with a power source suffice?

What useful info does the app provide?

Yes, hub is connected via Ethernet cable to router and it needs to be plugged in.

Typical PV based system has two CT feeds into the Zappi so it knows what’s going on.
    First feed is PV generation and second is house grid demand, both are required to allow the Zappi to divert any excess production above 1.2kW to be diverted into a plugged in EV.
    The Zappi communicates this info to the hub via radio waves so the need to be close enough, think <10m.
    The App will give you current PV and Grid figures as well as today’s, yesterday’s and this weeks figures.
    You can also use their online account to see more detail and graphs.
    The app really comes into its own when you have both PV and Eddi installed.
    There are some good UK based YouTube app reviews that show you the screen views.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anyone on here availed of the UK home charger scheme that’s living in NI? I have a new home in the next few months, will probably look at getting it installed while there is still a grant out there .

Dont know much about UK grants. Try the SpeakEV forum which is UK based. You'll get all you need over there.
    What’s the general outlook on these grants in Ireland and Uk, as hybrids and electric vehicles become more and more popular in the 2020’s and petrol/diesels die out, do you think grants will be pulled and the cost of installing them will go up? Installers and dealers will get crafty perhaps and see the increased demand? Pure speculation from me!

Thats a certainty and is already happening. Hybrid grants are gone in this country. PHEV grants have been reduced. As the years tick by the BEV grants will be reduced too. It will be determined by market uptake and costs to the exchequer. As the uptake accelerates and prices drop the grants will be phased out... no one can say definitively how quick that will be.
    Also, forgive my ignorance- is it as straightforward as installing a home charging point, and it will theoretically do any car you buy? (I’m guessing you have to show that you’ve bought a hybrid/EV as part of your grant application? Can’t get just get one for future?)

Or is it a case that a Ford EV will need a Ford home charging connection, VW theirs etc

The home charge points will charge "any" car. The only caveat is that the 2011-2017 Leaf has a type 1 socket so has a different cable but if you are buying any modern EV from 2018 onwards it will have a type 2 socket and they are the same across all cars and all charge points.

Thank you

NI/UK use the OLEV grant scheme.

You can get a grant of up to £350 but not more than 75% of overall install fee.

It's different to the Republic in that the installer applies for the grant and gets the money directly to their account. So in theory you should only pay the amount with the grant already taken in to consideration.
    There is more of a process for installers getting OLEV carted so make sure whoever you use is registered.
    They say the charger must be "smart" to avail of the grant and you can get a grant for multiple charge points at one address once you can prove multiple EVs are registered there

• Advertisement

Yes, hub is connected via Ethernet cable to router and it needs to be plugged in.

Typical PV based system has two CT feeds into the Zappi so it knows what’s going on.
    First feed is PV generation and second is house grid demand, both are required to allow the Zappi to divert any excess production above 1.2kW to be diverted into a plugged in EV.
    The Zappi communicates this info to the hub via radio waves so the need to be close enough, think <10m.
    The App will give you current PV and Grid figures as well as today’s, yesterday’s and this weeks figures.
    You can also use their online account to see more detail and graphs.
    The app really comes into its own when you have both PV and Eddi installed.
    There are some good UK based YouTube app reviews that show you the screen views.

Thanks very much.

Advertisement