Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Anyone have an ABB terra AC 7kw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Does anyone have a QUBEV? I can't avail of the SEAI grant as it's a company car so want the cheapest decent-ish unit possible.

It's a 1 year old house so we also have an air-source heart pump, but according to the first electrician I shouldn't need the load balancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Gatster wrote: »
    Does anyone have a QUBEV? I can't avail of the SEAI grant as it's a company car so want the cheapest decent-ish unit possible.

It's a 1 year old house so we also have an air-source heart pump, but according to the first electrician I shouldn't need the load balancing?

I think Gumbo got one of those, might be worth asking him?

Depending on the car charging power, heat pump and the amount of power available to your house you might not need load balancing

For example, my house has a 16kVA (16kW for the purposes of simplicity) connection, a 6kW heat pump with a maximum power consumption of 3kW, and a backup heater which I think is rated at around 1.5kW. My Leaf charges at 3.3kW, so even with all of them on it's unlikely I'll come close to the 16kW limit

However, moving to a 7kW charger pushes it somewhat closer to the limit, so I might end up needing load balancing then

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I ordered one on the 3rd January.
    Its sitting in the UK still waiting for delivery to me. BREXIT is a nightmare!

Worked out at €231 delivered but i'm not sure if VAT/Duty will be added on delivery. It will be installed to my parents house and should work out at no cost to my parents after Grant. I done the same 3 years ago ;)

Gumbo wrote: »
    I ordered one on the 3rd January.
    Its sitting in the UK still waiting for delivery to me. BREXIT is a nightmare!

Worked out at €231 delivered but i'm not sure if VAT/Duty will be added on delivery. It will be installed to my parents house and should work out at no cost to my parents after Grant. I done the same 3 years ago ;)

They are made in the UK, so theoretically no duty I think. Where did you order from? They're about €260 from Amazon? From the fact you've ordered a second, I presume you think they're Ok?

• Advertisement

They are made in the UK, so theoretically no duty I think. Where did you order from? They're about €260 from Amazon? From the fact you've ordered a second, I presume you think they're Ok?

Ordered it from their store on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Ordered it from their store on Amazon.

One word of caution on this. They have the 17th edition for about 230 and 18th edition for 300. I asked what the difference was and their tech support said that an electrician wouldn't sign off on 17th edition. It lacks some safety feature. Now, of course it depends on the electrician! If you get a friendly one, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

DM1983 wrote: »
    One word of caution on this. They have the 17th edition for about 230 and 18th edition for 300. I asked what the difference was and their tech support said that an electrician wouldn't sign off on 17th edition. It lacks some safety feature. Now, of course it depends on the electrician! If you get a friendly one, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

The 18th edition has some DC sensitive protection device built in. No idea what it is to be honest. I think it may be required in the uk rather than Ireland for grant purposes.

17th Edition is 225 Sterling plus postage - https://evonestop.co.uk/products/qubev-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-32-amp-7-2-kw-ip65

18th Edition is 299 sterling plus postage - https://evonestop.co.uk/products/qubev-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-32-amp-7-2-kw-ip65?variant=12432393404463

I got the 17th edition on Amazon for 206 sterling delivered for some reason. But I was watching them from late November and I bought it when it stated there was only 2 available from a high of over 10 so maybe they were just clearing stock.

This link expands a bit more on the doc protection requirement in the uk - https://www.bender-uk.com/company/news-item/6ma-dc-sensitive-residual-current-monitoring-for-ac-charge-stations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I would definitely recommend paying a bit extra to get the unit with DC leakage protection.

Felexicon wrote: »
    I would definitely recommend paying a bit extra to get the unit with DC leakage protection.

Can you explain the reason please.
    Horse has already bolted for me, but may help others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Can you explain the reason please.
    Horse has already bolted for me, but may help others.

A very basic explanation would be that it prevents DC current being introduced in to your house which can cause your RCD to malfunction. This would mean your RCD may not operate under fault conditions on a completely separate circuit to the car charger.
    There will already be some DC current in your system due to the high amount of electronics used in most houses these days but an EV could be a different animal.
    It's part of the reason why AC type RCDs are being done away with in the new regs.

Felexicon wrote: »
    A very basic explanation would be that it prevents DC current being introduced in to your house which can cause your RCD to malfunction. This would mean your RCD may not operate under fault conditions on a completely separate circuit to the car charger.
    There will already be some DC current in your system due to the high amount of electronics used in most houses these days but an EV could be a different animal.
    It's part of the reason why AC type RCDs are being done away with in the new regs.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

Hello
    I have just ordered a VW ID4 as my company vehicle, Hoping to get it for June if no delays. I am looking into charger installation at the moment. I would need a charger that can tell me how much units I have used so I could provide that data to my company. Based off this requirement I think the Wallbox Pulsar plus would be a good option. My house has already got a 32A cable ran from fusebox to outside by electrician when it was built for future use of electric car. Neither side is connected obviously at the moment. I asked the electrician who installed the cable for a quote to install the Pulsar plus and he quoted me 250 euro. Is this a fair price ? He said` material would cost 120 (I though it would only be RCD fuse and Isolator switch but did not question him yet on what 120 entailed)

Pat201 wrote: »
    Hello
    I have just ordered a VW ID4 as my company vehicle, Hoping to get it for June if no delays. I am looking into charger installation at the moment. I would need a charger that can tell me how much units I have used so I could provide that data to my company. Based off this requirement I think the Wallbox Pulsar plus would be a good option. My house has already got a 32A cable ran from fusebox to outside by electrician when it was built for future use of electric car. Neither side is connected obviously at the moment. I asked the electrician who installed the cable for a quote to install the Pulsar plus and he quoted me 250 euro. Is this a fair price ? He said` material would cost 120 (I though it would only be RCD fuse and Isolator switch but did not question him yet on what 120 entailed)

That seems alright for installation only, I suppose you could also look at the Zappi as that has similar features. VW charger pro has consumption data

I'm not sure what the reporting requirements are for claiming electricity as an expense, but you could just get a cheap charger and put a basic electricity meter on it

Hello

At least you got a price. I haven't had a single quote from the three electricians I've been in contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

At least you got a price. I haven't had a single quote from the three electricians I've been in contact with.

Ya he has done all the wiring on the house and is still onsite so i guess it would suit us both, I just wanted to check that i was getting a good quote as he had ran the cable already when house was bought so it would mean a easier install.

Ya he has done all the wiring on the house and is still onsite so i guess it would suit us both, I just wanted to check that i was getting a good quote as he had ran the cable already when house was bought so it would mean a easier install.

If I'm being totally honest, it's probably a little high for what is effectively wiring a plug, but I doubt you'll get anything cheaper so it sounds fine.

It's also not the worst idea sticking with someone you know isn't a cowboy or an idiot, even if it costs a little extra

I’ll confirm next week.
    I bought one on Amazon and due for delivery on Tuesday.

Just to confirm, chargepoint delivered today.
    No vat, customs or duty.

32a QUBEV chargepoint delivered for €231.

It’s basic though. Aside from being able to manually select different charging speeds from 6a, 13a, 16a and 32a.

It’s small neat and discreet too. Measures only 200mm X 150mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Just to confirm, chargepoint delivered today.
    No vat, customs or duty.

32a QUBEV chargepoint delivered for €231.

It’s basic though. Aside from being able to manually select different charging speeds from 6a, 13a, 16a and 32a.

It’s small neat and discreet too. Measures only 200mm X 150mm.

from amazon, or, QUBEV direct?

kaahooters wrote: »
    from amazon, or, QUBEV direct?

Amazon. Through the EVOnestop Store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GarvC

Long time viewer first time poster here..
    I have finally taken the plunge and purchased an EV. - Tesla Model 3
    I have had an electrician out to the house and he has said that before I get a charger installed I will need a “tails upgrade” - has anybody here ever had this done before and if so what was the cost? He has quoted me 1300€ just for the upgrade. I’m looking to get the Zappi 2 installed which he has quoted an additional 800€ after grant..

The house was built in the 90s so can understand the requirement for the upgrade

Appreciate any help!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

GarvC wrote: »
    I have had an electrician out to the house and he has said that before I get a charger installed I will need a “tails upgrade” - has anybody here ever had this done before and if so what was the cost? He has quoted me 1300€ just for the upgrade. I’m looking to get the Zappi 2 installed which he has quoted an additional 800€ after grant..

The house was built in the 90s so can understand the requirement for the upgrade

Appreciate any help!
    Thanks

He’s probably not too far off with that price
    All earthing has to be upgraded including earth rod and gas meter bonding
    New mains cables installed
    Whole house tested and test records completed
    Certificate issued to Esbn
    Retest when Esbn do their work
    Provide you with copy of certificate and test records
    He may also have to issue a notice of potential hazard if issues are discovered whilst testing your existing installation and they are not rectified

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have had an electrician out to the house and he has said that before I get a charger installed I will need a “tails upgrade” - has anybody here ever had this done before and if so what was the cost? He has quoted me 1300€ just for the upgrade.

A less than ideal alternative is to limit your charge point to 16A (instead of 32A). You wont need to upgrade the tails then but it will take twice as long to charge the car. Probably better to upgrade the tails for the long term gain but just giving you options.

I’m looking to get the Zappi 2 installed which he has quoted an additional 800€ after grant..

Thats a little steep, considering he is onsite doing other major works at the same time.

Are you set on using this particular guy? I'd get a second opinion at least based on that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Hello

https://pinergy.ie/business-electricity/ev-charger/

Have a look at this, its installed at you house and you use a card to access it for charging and your company pays the bill.
    no counting KWs

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GarvC

KCross wrote: »
    A less than ideal alternative is to limit your charge point to 16A (instead of 32A). You wont need to upgrade the tails then but it will take twice as long to charge the car. Probably better to upgrade the tails for the long term gain but just giving you options.

Thats a little steep, considering he is onsite doing other major works at the same time.

Are you set on using this particular guy? I'd get a second opinion at least based on that price.

Thanks for that appreciate it, not at all set on using this guy, I have enquired around but unfortunately he’s the only one who has came back..

What is involved in the process of getting the tails upgraded? The ESB have to come out and verify it? Stupid question I know but how long would this process usually take?
    He also said the charger can’t be installed until the ESB have inspected the connection so he would have to return a different day to install the charger...

Appreciate the help,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks for that appreciate it, not at all set on using this guy, I have enquired around but unfortunately he’s the only one who has came back..

What is involved in the process of getting the tails upgraded? The ESB have to come out and verify it? Stupid question I know but how long would this process usually take?
    He also said the charger can’t be installed until the ESB have inspected the connection so he would have to return a different day to install the charger...

Appreciate the help,

The tails is simply a cable from your meter box to the consumer unit. It takes the full load of your house.

The electrician has deemed that to be an insufficiently sized cable to be adding a 32A continuous load to it.

So, he'd have to replace the cable (with a thicker one basically) and then ensure the rest of the wiring is up to scratch (consumer unit etc).

The ESB will need signoff from the electrician that the work is done and then they fire it up again. I would have thought all done in a day. He cant leave you without power waiting for ESB to come out a few days later.

Just been told by one of the sparks (the one who hasn't even been to the house), that he can't come off the meter and it has to be from the CU? MY house doesn't lend itself to coming off the CU.

Has anyone had a charging unit installed off the meter, I am sure I read here that it is done, but not a common practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Maddic_Irl

Just been told by one of the sparks (the one who hasn't even been to the house), that he can't come off the meter and it has to be from the CU? MY house doesn't lend itself to coming off the CU.

Has anyone had a charging unit installed off the meter, I am sure I read here that it is done, but not a common practice?

Afaik, it can be done but it is not complaint for grant purposes. There are talks of changing this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Sam W

It is against the current legislation and you lose your 600 euro grant.

The electrician who installed our charger mentioned that there’s ongoing talks to change this, but it might still be a long shot.

• Advertisement

Can you direct me to where it states this in the regs as I can't find it anywhere?

I don't care about the grant, it's a company car so I'm not eligible for it anyway.

Advertisement