Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Gatster wrote: »
    Just been told by one of the sparks (the one who hasn't even been to the house), that he can't come off the meter and it has to be from the CU? MY house doesn't lend itself to coming off the CU.

Has anyone had a charging unit installed off the meter, I am sure I read here that it is done, but not a common practice?

Back when the ESB were installing chargers they would do this, however they stopped when they brought in the grant.

It CAN be done, however you basically have to add a CU outside the house beside the meter box. There are 2 circuits coming from this main CU, one to the charger and one to your CU in the house, which becomes a sub board of the CU outside.

While it's possible, I haven't heard of anyone getting it done as it's generally a bigger job than routing a cable from the existing CU

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

From doing a bit of research, it seems that you split off the 63A MCB in the meter box (in my case, which is not the ESB fuse and is after the meter), one feed to the existing CU and one to a new breaker external to the meter box that is adjacent to the chargepoint.

Just need to find another electrician, the last dude just texted me saying he thinks he can come off the downstairs socket ring main :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

Have decided to go with a Pulsar Plus as Charger as it suits my needs to be able to submits bills to company for charging. Im a bit confused at moment on model types. I see 2 online that are same price but end in different manufacturing version. It is not clear to me what the versions signify? The 2 Model types i have seen are PLP1-0-2-2-3-001-A and PLP1-0-2-2-3-001-C. Does anyone know what this signifies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Can you direct me to where it states this in the regs as I can't find it anywhere?

I don't care about the grant, it's a company car so I'm not eligible for it anyway.

Page 6 covers chargers and previous pages cover what’s permitted in meter box.

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/07/July-2019-Newsletter-Final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

"Installation of the protective device for the final circuit is not currently permitted in the external meter cabinet"

Which it won't be, so theoretically compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

unkel wrote: »
    Install shouldn't really be much more than about €100
    You very clearly have no concept about what a Registered Electrical Contractor needs to charge to run a viable business.

"Installation of the protective device for the final circuit is not currently permitted in the external meter cabinet"

Which it won't be, so theoretically compliant.

Where’s it going

From doing a bit of research, it seems that you split off the 63A MCB in the meter box (in my case, which is not the ESB fuse and is after the meter), one feed to the existing CU and one to a new breaker external to the meter box that is adjacent to the chargepoint.
    :

That’s not permitted

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

unkel wrote: »
    Also a 40A RCBO, also cheapest from eurosales as in KCross link. Install shouldn't really be much more than about €100, so every chance you can do it all for free. If anything, having an EV is about saving money first :cool:

Speaking as an experienced electrical engineer and qualified electrician I can tell you that a Registered Electrical Contractor would be very doing well just to cover the cost of the materials out of €100. As a rule of thumb any REC that charges less than €30 per hour would make more money working for someone else. Most likely an EV charging point that costs this little does not comply with the regulations. The consequences of this can be severe.

I have seen the aftermath from people cutting corners with electrics. In some cases premises went on fire, other times people were severely injured from electric shock and other times from arc flash. I also arrived on the scene just after someone was electrocuted, in this case a "DIY expert" had wired a cow shed and an old woman lay dead in front of me as a result. I know this sounds very melodramatic, but it made quite an impression on me.

My advice would be to pay the money to get the work done properly which certainly means avoiding anyone that charges €100. Ignore this at your own risk.

If you want to save money you would be better off looking elsewhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2011 wrote: »
    Speaking as an experienced electrical engineer and qualified electrician I can tell you that a Registered Electrical Contractor would be very doing well just to cover the cost of the materials out of €100. As a rule of thumb any REC that charges less than €30 per hour would make more money working for someone else. Most likely an EV charging point that costs this little does not comply with the regulations. The consequences of this can be severe.

I have seen the aftermath from people cutting corners with electrics. In some cases premises went on fire, other times people were severely injured from electric shock and other times from arc flash. I also arrived on the scene just after someone was electrocuted, in this case a "DIY expert" had wired a cow shed and an old woman lay dead in front of me as a result. I know this sounds very melodramatic, but it made quite an impression on me.

My advice would be to pay the money to get the work done properly which certainly means avoiding anyone that charges €100. Ignore this at your own risk.

If you want to save money you would be better off looking elsewhere.

I don’t think Unkel means the total cost should be €100. The RCBO is about €40 alone, the cable, glands and clips could be another €40 plus depending on length of cable run.

For clarity, what EV Charging point are you talking about that’s so cheap it doesn’t comply with regulations? Just so people can avoid it.

Bottom line is people charging €1400 plus for these installations are ripping people off. If it’s a long run and complicated install then additional costs can be explained but these €1400 quotes don’t include priority switches if required which puts the price up by €300 in cases.

I had 3 quotes for my parents house recently. Just to show my dad that my Safe Electric Registered mate wasn’t getting into him.

Prices ranged from €1250 to 1500.
    I bought the chargepoint myself. A UK built product with CE Certification for €231. I’m paying a SE Registered Electrician €600 tomorrow to install but he’s supplying all the bits and bobs. He’s also putting an external double socket outside with a switched spur inside included in that price. That is reasonable in my opinion.

It includes certification so he will also get the €600 grant back in due course.
    Total outlay will be €231.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Gumbo wrote: »
    I don’t think Unkel means the total cost should be €100.

Really? That’s the way his post reads to me.

Nothing wrong with shopping around, I agree with you on that.
    I only posted because €100 was is so ridiculously low for this work.

To keep the process up to date, i'll outline my parents process here and update once complete.

QUBEV 32a/7kw Home Charger purchased from here - https://evonestop.co.uk/products/qubev-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-32-amp-7-2-kw-ip65

For some reason I got it for £206 through their Amazon Shop so €231 Delivered to my door.

Fitted yesterday by Safe Electric Electrician. His costs were €600 for labour and materials.

So total Outlay so far is €831.

Certificates and Grant form sent to SEAI this morning so I will update once the Grant comes through or any further info the request.
    Its a shame they don't allow email or online upload as if anything goes missing in the post, the Certs are originals so you then have to chase the Electrician for replacements.

^^^ sounds very reasonable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gumbo wrote: »
    To keep the process up to date, i'll outline my parents process here and update once complete.

QUBEV 32a/7kw Home Charger purchased from here - https://evonestop.co.uk/products/qubev-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-32-amp-7-2-kw-ip65

For some reason I got it for £206 through their Amazon Shop so €231 Delivered to my door.

Fitted yesterday by Safe Electric Electrician. His costs were €600 for labour and materials.

So total Outlay so far is €831.

Certificates and Grant form sent to SEAI this morning so I will update once the Grant comes through or any further info the request.
    Its a shame they don't allow email or online upload as if anything goes missing in the post, the Certs are originals so you then have to chase the Electrician for replacements.

You'll get an email to say they have received your forms, then wait, I was 17 working days to money in my account.
    AMZ lower as you likely struck lucky, the vary their prices constantly

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Any good suppliers for 32amp 5 meter cable type 1 to type 2 for a 2017 leaf? Thanks

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Any good suppliers for 32amp 5 meter cable type 1 to type 2 for a 2017 leaf? Thanks

Do you have your Charge Point installed yet?

2011 wrote: »
    ^^^ sounds very reasonable.

He also supplied and fitted an outdoor socket on the other side of the house included for that price. Will be handy for granny charging in the future and the outdoor Christmas lights. No more cables through the letter box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

slave1 wrote: »
    Do you have your Charge Point installed yet?

yes have it installed just looking for a cable as i have a springyone i bought but i think it causes lock failure on the zappi over time as its puttin downward pressure on the cable.

Oh okay, I was thinking more that you could use the stock Nissan cable with an adapter like this...

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/adaptors/products/newstyle-type-1-to-type-2-adapter-converter

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Just got my Zappi unit installed today! Very happy with it so far! Now just need to wait for the car to arrive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Just got my Zappi unit installed today! Very happy with it so far! Now just need to wait for the car to arrive :)

Did you get the myenergi hub? If so how far was it from the Zappi for signal strength?

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Did you get the myenergi hub? If so how far was it from the Zappi for signal strength?

I didn't get the Hub today but I've ordered it this afternoon. Should arrive on Tuesday. Ive got two options of placement about 3m away from the Zappi or 10m away...

I rather put it in the cabinet with the router which is 10m away.

I'll let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Was it Ken B, who put it in, or did you go with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

Can you recommend your installer? Feel free o PM with the details if you wouldn’t mind?:P Cheers

rx8 wrote: »
    Was it Ken B, who put it in, or did you go with someone else?

I actually went with someone else as it was a little bit cheaper! Was in and out in under an hour!

Itchyness wrote: »
    Can you recommend your installer? Feel free o PM with the details if you wouldn’t mind?:P Cheers

You should have a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sattwa06

Hi, this is my first post in this group !

I am just about to decide on a home charger unit. May I ask why you went for Zappi and which one you went for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Was in and out in under an hour!

That wouldn't inspire me with confidence for a quality job, compliant with the Rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Sattwa06 wrote: »
    Hi, this is my first post in this group !

I am just about to decide on a home charger unit. May I ask why you went for Zappi and which one you went for ?

I bought a zappi also, big reasons were warranty and support, app, and the cable looks very tidy coiled around the unit compared to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

Pat201 wrote: »
    Hello
    I have just ordered a VW ID4 as my company vehicle, Hoping to get it for June if no delays. I am looking into charger installation at the moment. I would need a charger that can tell me how much units I have used so I could provide that data to my company. Based off this requirement I think the Wallbox Pulsar plus would be a good option. My house has already got a 32A cable ran from fusebox to outside by electrician when it was built for future use of electric car. Neither side is connected obviously at the moment. I asked the electrician who installed the cable for a quote to install the Pulsar plus and he quoted me 250 euro. Is this a fair price ? He said` material would cost 120 (I though it would only be RCD fuse and Isolator switch but did not question him yet on what 120 entailed)

Just to update i got a quote today for install of Pulsar plus with load balancing for 1100. Best ive got so far so went with it

Advertisement