Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Where is the cheapest place to buy a Zappi these days?

I have an electrician lined up to complete the install but not sure where to grab the Zappi for the best possible price?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

reni10 wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest place to buy a Zappi these days?

I have an electrician lined up to complete the install but not sure where to grab the Zappi for the best possible price?

Your electrican can get it with a VAT rate of 13.5% versus your 21% as a non-trader (soon to be back to 23% I would assume).
    Get your Electrician to get it trade

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

slave1 wrote: »
    Your electrican can get it with a VAT rate of 13.5% versus your 21% as a non-trader (soon to be back to 23% I would assume).
    Get your Electrician to get it trade

Technically the Electrician gets it with Standard VAT but reclaims this and sells it with the Reduced rate for Services. This is subject to the two-thirds rule though. The goods cannot exceed two-thirds of the total cost of goods and services otherwise Standard VAT applies to the entire sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Our new Zappi2 (installed last March) is throwing up an error:

ruDunLU.jpg

Tried resetting a number of times, reset trip, etc. No luck. So phoned Myenergi who said they would immediately send out a new machine to be fitted by NMD and he would take old one away with him.

Great service, but a bit worried about why such a new charger would break down so soon..

Back to the Granny chargers for our two cars for the next week or so, at least not too much hassle atm..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

eagerv wrote: »
    Tried resetting a number of times, reset trip, etc. No luck. So phoned Myenergi who said they would immediately send out a new machine to be fitted by NMD and he would take old one away with him.

Do Myenergi pay NMD to swap it out as well or will you have to pay for that?
    Did NMD install it day 1?

I find Myenergi to be good at responding. They have a go open discussion forum (myenergi.info) as well where you can get answers to questions and they sent a replacement screen to me no problem and I got a free hub off them too so they are good to deal with. Lets hope your case is an isolated one.

No consumer electronics device is flawless I suppose.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Do Myenergi pay NMD to swap it out as well or will you have to pay for that?
    Did NMD install it day 1?

I find Myenergi to be good at responding. They have a go open discussion forum (myenergi.info) as well where you can get answers to questions and they sent a replacement screen to me no problem and I got a free hub off them too so they are good to deal with. Lets hope your case is an isolated one.

No consumer electronics device is flawless I suppose.

Yes, hope it's an isolated case, but after a quick Google I don't think I am the only one..

ND installed the unit originally; after first phoning him he suggested me getting on to Myenergi directly as would probably be quicker as they would be looking for a lot of details, photos etc. Never mentioned if any charge to swap out, would be surprised if there was.

ND installed the unit originally; after first phoning him he suggested me getting on to Myenergi directly as would probably be quicker as they would be looking for a lot of details, photos etc. Never mentioned if any charge to swap out, would be surprised if there was.

One things for sure is that he wont be calling for zero money... either you are paying him or they are, as he aint cheap! ;)

One things for sure is that he wont be calling for zero money... either you are paying him or they are, as he aint cheap! ;)

He didn't charge to replace our RCBO a few months ago. As he said himself we are fully covered under warranty for any problems. I won't be singing his praises anymore if that is not the case...:)

He didn't charge to replace our RCBO a few months ago. As he said himself we are fully covered under warranty for any problems. I won't be singing his praises anymore if that is not the case...:)

He’d have to stand over the RCBO since he supplied that but warranty on the Zappi is from MyEnergi not him.

I’m sure it’ll be fine. He will have it swapped out in 20mins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

He’d have to stand over the RCBO since he supplied that but warranty on the Zappi is from MyEnergi not him.

That's a good point actually.

A chargepoint supplied & fitted by the electrician should be covered, parts & labour. When the customer supplies the chargepoint themselves, from Amazon etc., they'd be liable to pay the electrician for his time to troubleshoot/replace the unit.

Something to bear in mind when saving a few €uros buying online - it's a hardwired/fixed device so can't simply be returned for warranty replacement.

You could end up getting an electrician out twice, once to check the install, diagnose the faulty charge point & then again fo fit the replacement.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »

A chargepoint supplied & fitted by the electrician should be covered, parts & labour. When the customer supplies the chargepoint themselves, from Amazon etc., they'd be liable to pay the electrician for his time to troubleshoot/replace the unit.

Something to bear in mind when saving a few €uros buying online - it's a hardwired/fixed device so can't simply be returned for warranty replacement.

You could end up getting an electrician out twice, once to check the install, diagnose the faulty charge point & then again fo fit the replacement.

True, that's the reason I bought the unit, including installing from NMD. For peace of mind should there be any problems.

Will keep ye updated on outcome..

As pointed out, NMD is whom you have your contract with, not MyEnergi. NMD is wholly responsible for product supplied, this is simple Sale of Goods/Services and Consumer legislation. You have zero contractual relationship with MyEnergi.
    All that aside MyEnergi are quick on their support and will courier a new unit to you when you contact them yourself, you will also have to courier the faulty unit back to them and they will pay for that.
    You should have zero cost for swap out, as above NMD are responsible and cannot charge you for rectifying faulty goods they supplied.
    As it turns out MyEnergi will pay their registered installers £75 for any follow up warranty work on proven faulty units.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s true but the unit will be covered under warranty from the manufacturer.
    I was dealing with evonestop recently, and they would send out a prepaid label for warranty issues.

Once you know what your doing, switch off supply at the consumer unit, you can easily remove the charger from the wall yourself. Once your competent to do this I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Gumbo wrote: »
    Once you know what your doing, switch off supply at the consumer unit, you can easily remove the charger from the wall yourself. Once your competent to do this I might add.

Oh I agree, but the electricians who frequent here will say this is illegal :eek:.

I guess the main problem is lots of people think they are competent, but aren't & electricity can be dangerous - risk of fire etc.

Hope the op is back up & running soon anyway :).

But Gumbo the real issue is not the competency of being able to take out the unit and replacement, to satisfy electrical standards the unit needs to be tested and we lay people don’t have that equipment or “sign off”.
    BTW I am totally with you, it’s literally three cable connection, as simple as it gets

Oh I agree, but the electricians who frequent here will say this is illegal :eek:.

I guess the main problem is lots of people think they are competent, but aren't & electricity can be dangerous - risk of fire etc.

Hope the op is back up & running soon anyway :).
    slave1 wrote: »
    But Gumbo the real issue is not the competency of being able to take out the unit and replacement, to satisfy electrical standards the unit needs to be tested and we lay people don’t have that equipment or “sign off”.
    BTW I am totally with you, it’s literally three cable connection, as simple as it gets

Agree with both points.
    They are the same connection as a 3 pin plug :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

does anyone know why a charger would switch off completely when connected to the car?

This morning I plugged the wallbox charger in to the car and then checked an hour later and noticed the wallbox was completely off. I took charger out from the car and then flipped the switch on the board. When I went to plug it in again, it went red and then switched off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Red is error indicator for Wallbox.

Is it tripping the RCBO in the consumer unit?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Is it tripping the RCBO in the consumer unit?

Yes.

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    does anyone know why a charger would switch off completely when connected to the car?

You wont get a definitive answer. Its tripping because it has detected a fault.

You need to get an electrician onsite and get it diagnosed. Could be a loose connection, could be water ingress, could be a faulty charge point, dodgy cable, anything or everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Question for the zappi owners. In the myenergy app, I can see we were exporting 0.8kw to the grid from the solar panels, I'm assuming once I have the car plugged in, it will just divert the excess solar energy to the car rather than the grid?

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Question for the zappi owners. In the myenergy app, I can see we were exporting 0.8kw to the grid from the solar panels, I'm assuming once I have the car plugged in, it will just divert the excess solar energy to the car rather than the grid?

Not always. You typically need 1.4kW of excess before a charge session will start and then if it subsequently drops below 1.4kW (cloud rolls over or someone boils the kettle) it could stop the charge session again... some cars do allow a much lower cutoff threshold of 500W but some will rigidly cutoff at 1.4kW... depends on the car.

You wont get a definitive answer. Its tripping because it has detected a fault.

You need to get an electrician onsite and get it diagnosed. Could be a loose connection, could be water ingress, could be a faulty charge point, dodgy cable, anything or everything.

Thanks. Yes, I've contacted the installer so hopefully they'll figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Had my Zappi installed yesterday, Harvi and final setup being completed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Have to say the Zappi myenergi app is great, being able to see how much the solar panels generate and seeing how much electricity certain appliances use from the grid is eye opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

just a heads up for anyone buying electric or phev from Kia ,
    It comes with a free charger , wife was watching eco eye and decided to go electric ish ,

bought a kia xceed phev and got rid of the Tucson , terms and conditions are as follows

Terms & Conditions:
    *Offer available on selected new car EV & PHEV models until March 31st while stocks last. Limited to first 150 Kia branded chargers. Chargers will be branded with Kia logo. The chargers supplied is the Wallbox Pulsar model and comes complete with plug holder and Wallbox App (for smart programming of charger). The charger is installed to work with maximum available charging power based on current power consumption through the homeowner's fuse-board. Installation includes 1 wall break-through and up to 5 metres of cabling to power isolator/safety switch & unit connection.

**The installation cost of €600 is paid for by the customer and on receipt of payment from the customer, EasyGo will complete the customers SEAI paperwork to enable the customer reclaim the €600 cost from SEAI. Should the customer require a more advanced installation and/or a product upgrade, these extra costs can be paid for by the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

So the home charger I have insatlled is not locking so it won't initiate the charge. Its the eMH1 ABL unit that the ESB were putting in for free way back.
    Anyone got any options for a new charger?
    Or a solution to my issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You sure the problem is with the charger and not with the car? Did yo try another EV on your charger?

These ABL chargers are very robust and don't have any know problems that I'm aware of. Mine is in 4 years now, hasn't missed a beat. Despite me re-programming it to work at 7.2kW instead of the original 3.6kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Aye, I used the Kia soul to check as well. Same issue. The locking pin mechanism tries to find the closed position and then fails. If you don't switch it off at the mains its a 60 second wait for the system to retry.
    After multiple attempts it will eventually find home.
    Joys of having 2 EV's now. The box is used more often.

Advertisement