Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

vectra wrote: »

I am currently in discussion via email with the SEAI regarding the grant as I live in a terraced house. ( I will post here how I get on once I know ) for anyone else in my situation.

What’s your concern about being in a terraced house? I’m in a terraced house and got charger and grant without issue.

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Hi guys sorry for jumping in, currently trying to get a spark out to survey a ev charger install in garage. Existing cu is full and just on inside wall above meter box. Can he use henley blocke to split main tails and add second small cu for charger?

Could do it in meter cabinet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Hi guys sorry for jumping in, currently trying to get a spark out to survey a ev charger install in garage. Existing cu is full and just on inside wall above meter box. Can he use henley blocke to split main tails and add second small cu for charger?

The REC will have to decide that unfortunately.
    Or come direct from the MC if no other option exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

What’s your concern about being in a terraced house? I’m in a terraced house and got charger and grant without issue.

Only issue I can think of is no private drive to park in.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Hi Guys.
    I am in the proccess of getting all my ducks in a row as I have a lot to learn etc. before I take delivery of my id4.

First off,
    Charger, from reading here I am guessing a cheaper alternatives to doing the VW install would be to purchase the charger from VW and get it installed by a registered electrician. Am I correct? I have an electric shower but no solar panels or anything like that
    I am currently in discussion via email with the SEAI regarding the grant as I live in a terraced house. ( I will post here how I get on once I know ) for anyone else in my situation.

I am reading a lot of issues with timed charging.!
    I assume that would not affect me if I use plug and charge ?

I will think of more
    Thanks

That's what I did. I bought the charger from volkswagen and got my own electrician to install. It was far cheaper than the vw install which is carried out by bord gais as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Gumbo wrote: »
    The REC will have to decide that unfortunately.
    Or come direct from the MC if no other option exists.
    I had a quick look in the meter box and it looks like two loads are already connected to the esb disconnect switch. It looks like tails will have to be split with a couple of blocks. My spark said he will look at it in a couple of weeks😟

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cable running across public footpath?
    Felexicon wrote: »
    Only issue I can think of is no private drive to park in.

This ^^
    declan123 wrote: »
    That's what I did. I bought the charger from volkswagen and got my own electrician to install. It was far cheaper than the vw install which is carried out by bord gais as it happens.

Could you give me an idea of cost?
    Thanks

This ^^

Thanks

This is an issue then.
    You can’t get a grant.

And if you self install you run a liability risk every time the cable is across the public path, even with one of those cable mats.

This is an issue then.
    You can’t get a grant.

And if you self install you run a liability risk every time the cable is across the public path, even with one of those cable mats.

I got the go ahead from the local council, but, as you said. Liability in the case of a trip or whatever would fall on my shoulders.

This ^^

Thanks

Ah ok. I own the spaces outside my house and just had to run the cable under a paved footpath that was lifted and re-laid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I got the go ahead from the local council, but, as you said. Liability in the case of a trip or whatever would fall on my shoulders.

Since you'd be running power out there anyway, you could install an electric fence across the pavement to keep people from tripping over the wire :)

Jokes aside, I can see the difficulty, even with a mat you'd have some clown looking to make a quick buck throwing himself on the ground and claiming he tripped over your charging cable

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

This ^^

Thanks

You will find it difficult to get someone to install a charger that will have a cable crossing a footpath.
    There could be a case against holding the installer liable in the case of an accident.
    It's something that needs to be addressed by councils and property management companies fairly sheepish.

Can you give more detail on how the council gave you the go ahead?
    One of the biggest stumbling blocks during my work (planning applications) is people asking about charging pedestal space but the councils I deal with would not allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭baldshin

Question folks, have just had Gas Networks Ireland out to install a smart meter on our gas meter. They've told me that my car charger and isolator are too close to the gas meter and need to be moved. Is this something my installer should have been aware of, and is it something they should be rectifying?

Have been given a notice of non conformance from GNI.

Charger is a Zappi and was installed by a reputable, well known installer.

baldshin wrote: »
    Question folks, have just had Gas Networks Ireland out to install a smart meter on our gas meter. They've told me that my car charger and isolator are too close to the gas meter and need to be moved. Is this something my installer should have been aware of, and is it something they should be rectifying?

Did they say how far from the Gas Meter Cabinet it has to be located?

Heres their Location Guide, not alot of info on it.

https://www.gasnetworks.ie/home/get-connected/meter-location/GNI_Meter_Location_Guide.pdf

The notice says it should be at least 500mm away. I'd say currently it's maybe 200mm from memory. Will be seriously annoyed if I've to pay to have the charger moved after paying a small fortune to have it installed!

The notice says it should be at least 500mm away. I'd say currently it's maybe 200mm from memory. Will be seriously annoyed if I've to pay to have the charger moved after paying a small fortune to have it installed!

If it were me I would point the finger directly at the installer and refuse to pay any more to have it moved.
    If they refuse tell them you will be reporting them health and safety.

Looks like this example install from Safe Electric March newsletter would fall afoul of GNI too so. Gas meter is bottom right

549913.jpeg

If it were me I would point the finger directly at the installer and refuse to pay any more to have it moved.
    If they refuse tell them you will be reporting them health and safety.

Depends, the REC may have installed it in compliance with the IS regulations as mentioned below.
    Looks like this example install from Safe Electric March newsletter would fall afoul of GNI too so. Gas meter is bottom right

549913.jpeg

Possible but it could be a determination on where you measure the 500mm from. The actual meter inside the box or from the outside frame of the white box.

I’d love to see the regulation document on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what happens if you dont move it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did they say how far from the Gas Meter Cabinet it has to be located?

Heres their Location Guide, not alot of info on it.

https://www.gasnetworks.ie/home/get-connected/meter-location/GNI_Meter_Location_Guide.pdf

The guide there just mentions the electricity meter cabinet and the distance should be 300mm. Nothing about appliances near the gas meter :confused:

Sounds a bit suspicious from GNI, maybe the lads just felt overworked and didn't want to do that house

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

No idea what happens if I don't move it, though I'm unsure how my insurance would react if a fire did happen to break out in that area. They still did the work of replacing the meter, just provided me with the notice of non conformity after.

The guide there just mentions the electricity meter cabinet and the distance should be 300mm. Nothing about appliances near the gas meter :confused:

Sounds a bit suspicious from GNI, maybe the lads just felt overworked and didn't want to do that house

I tended to agree. But when the RGI issued the letter of non-conformance then he/wasn’t winging it. He/she had to have been dissatisfied with something.

Looking at the GNI guidelines for gas meter placement, there is no mention of minimum distances from appliances, only minimum distance from the electricity meter, which in my case is fine. I may get a second opinion from my regular gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Looking at the GNI guidelines for gas meter placement, there is no mention of minimum distances from appliances, only minimum distance from the electricity meter, which in my case is fine. I may get a second opinion from my regular gas man.

Can’t find a specific. Page 9 gives some guidance although not the one quoted by your gas man(has he quoted the actual regulations number)

300mm between gas meter and other services may be the regulation breach he’s implying

https://www.gasnetworks.ie/corporate/information-for-rgi/Guidelines-for-Designers-and-Builders-Domestic-Sites.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Folks, didn't wanna start a new thread for this question. I got a Skoda Superb IV PHEV this year. I applied for the grant for the home charger, which I got. Now I'm googling what actual home charger to get.

I see a lot of chargers, and not sure which are the best. I see skoda have their own charger, which I think is the same as the VW one. I'm sure it'll work for this car but not sure about the next (whenever that will be). I was reading elsewhere about some chargers that say they're 7kw but due to how they're wired with parallel channels (or something), they'll apparently only do 3.5kw on mine. Tbh I haven't a clue how or why that is. Would love if someone could save me the time and energy and point me towards a good charger that will charge mine at full speed, and then if I go full EV in a few years, it'll still work as I need it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

eagerv wrote: »
    Our new Zappi2 (installed last March) is throwing up an error:

ruDunLU.jpg

Tried resetting a number of times, reset trip, etc. No luck. So phoned Myenergi who said they would immediately send out a new machine to be fitted by NMD and he would take old one away with him.

Great service, but a bit worried about why such a new charger would break down so soon..

Back to the Granny chargers for our two cars for the next week or so, at least not too much hassle atm..

Just a follow up post re my Zappi2 replacement as above.

It finally arrived from Myenergi this afternoon after taking seven and a half weeks delayed by customs here in Ireland. The driver would not release parcel unless c.o.d. taxes of €131.78 were paid in cash. Contacted Myenergi who are going to refund me this in full.

Contacted installer, NMD, at about 3pm who said he would change over charge points ASAP, which true to his word was completed at 6pm this evening.:). Fitter was surprised to find a unit inside burnt. He said the new one is slightly different internally to our old 1 year old one. There was no charge for this work, Myenergi will be paying NMD.
    Hope the new unit lasts a bit longer than the last one..:rolleyes:

what this thread needs is a table with the potential chargers that you can buy in Ireland, costs, pros / cons.

Can someone more knowledgeable than I rustle one up?

what this thread needs is a table with the potential chargers that you can buy in Ireland, costs, pros / cons.

Can someone more knowledgeable than I rustle one up?

And also make it a sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

And also make it a sticky.

If you order from the uk and have a friends address in northern ireland it saves all the brexit bull. Someone else mentioned parcel hotel.

Advertisement